Join now - be part of our community!

PRS-650 will not switch off properly

profile.country.en_GB.title
Iain_L
Explorer

PRS-650 will not switch off properly

Hi, strange problem here that I was wondering if anyone else had seen, and hopefully solved. The battery on my Reader seems to last about a day nowadays, so I thought it might need replacing (Reader is just over 2 years old). Before going down that route however, I have tried both soft and hard resets to no avail. I have now discovered that even if I turn the device off completely, I can come back to it hours later, and it is back on with either the book or the home screen displaying. This is sometimes happening as well from standby. This leads me to think it may be something other than the battery. BTW, as well as the resets, when being charged it is always from the Sony wall charger overnight, so it gets a good deep charge.

Iain
13 REPLIES 13
carpetmojo

I confess I have no hands-on experience with these batteries, but I recall the ads claim good, if not superior life - so I would think this would would be a "Sale of Goods Act" complaint and a refund at least.

I have seen other reports that they worked OK so I suppose we'll have to do the usual - hope our batteries last long ...

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Iain,

Thanks for the update, it's a shame the replacement battery did not hold it's charge for more than a day as it looks like the replacement battery was possibly the correct solution..

How's the T3.?

profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi “lain_L”
Even I had read reports about battery replacement on PRS-650. All reports said, that after replacement a full charge lasts less than a full charge of original battery (when reader and battery were new!), but absolutely not only a couple of days!
I think that something went wrong! (faulty new battery?)
The only issue I heard, was that sometimes reader “resets”. In order to overcome this problem, they inserted between the battery and reader’s device cover, a piece of thin “cardboard”.

Jannis

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
Iain_L
Explorer

Thanks for the replies folks,

Unfortunately the replacement battery seemed to be fine, and then all of a sudden with about 3 bars still showing on the charge the Reader would shut down saying Low Battery. I'm abroad at the moment, but the company concerned do offer a 1 year warranty and say that if the battery dies during that year they'll replace it free of charge, so I'll try that anyway when I get back.

Regarding the T3, it is tiny compared to a PRS-650 with cover - takes a bit of getting used to. It doesn't feel as durable, but of course I am comparing it with just the original built in cover instead of an accessory cover which would obviously add protection/size/weight. The screen is very clear, and easy to read, some reviews don't like the lack of illumination, but to be honest I always read with a light on so that isn't an issue for me. One update to the software I don't like is that there seems to be no way of showing an index of all the book authors with their initial letter down the side to allow you to select the appropriate one (hope I've explained myself properly there). Other than that I'm well pleased with it (and of course, it works fine at the moment)

Iain