Join now - be part of our community!

Smart Offers Cashback Promotion

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
grmccom11
Explorer

Smart Offers Cashback Promotion

Hi all.

I am thinking of buying a new TV before Christmas and feel enticed by the latest Sony Smart Offers Cashback Promotion.  However, I have just heard a radio advert for the promotion, which states at the end that the cashback can only be redeemed online.  I have checked the terms and conditions listed on the cashback application form and there is no mention of this.

Does anyone know anything about this "special Smart Shopping pre-paid VISA card?"  All the application form states is that "Full instructions for immediate use will be included with your card."

Surely this offer cannot be described as 'cashback' if it is the equivalent of an online-only gift voucher?  I suspect that this also means you cannot use the 'cash' as part payment towards any online purchase as I know of no online retailer who allows you to spread payment over more than one credit/debit card, which also implies that it will be difficult to spend any 'change' left over from purchases as you near the total value of the card.

Is anyone in a position to comment on this?

Cheers,

Graeme.

[Note: I would have raised this issue privately with Sony if there was any way of submitting such on enquiry online.]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
grmccom11
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for your reply.

I had overlooked the helpline number on the application form (but noticed it 10 seconds afer posting...).  I had been reluctant to call Sony on their usual national-rate number as I ended up queueing for over an hour when I last rang it.  However, I gave the 0845 number a chance and was pleasantly surprised to get through to an agent almost immediately.

She told me that I could use the pre-paid VISA card at any retailer where VISA cards were accepted, even on the High Street.  She was unaware of what was said in the advert.

I will listen out for the advert again but what was said at the end of the advert (the radio equivalent of the small print) had left me in little doubt that the 'cashback' could only be redeemed online, thus these posts.  If you can find someone who can shed any light on what is meant by the line at the end of the advert then that would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Graeme.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Graeme,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

I am thinking of buying a new TV before Christmas and feel enticed by  the latest Sony Smart Offers Cashback Promotion.  However, I have just  heard a radio advert for the promotion, which states at the end that the  cashback can only be redeemed online.

I've just checked the claim form & there is no mention of the cashback being online only..:smileyconfused:

This year rather then by cheque or bank transfer, we'll be sending your  cashback to you on a special Smart Shopping pre-paid VISA card. Full  instructions for immediate use will be included with your card. There is  no set up or registration - it's ready to use anywhere that accepts  VISA. Terms & Conditions apply.

Not sure if they'll know but you could try ringing the number listed under the claim forms T&C's (20) should you have any queries in relation to your claim, please phone us on 0845 5048939..

If they can not answer your questions then post back & we'll see if we can find someone who can..:smileyconfused:

digitaljelly
Visitor

The card acts like a normal VISA card - it has a PIN and you can use it at any chip-and-pin place - you could use it a petrol station, supermarket or even a Sony Centre store - online and offline! :slight_smile:

Its not a credit or debit card, but works the same.

http://www.johnlewis.com/jl_assets/pdf/leaflet_claim%20_form_111011.pdf

That has more information! :slight_smile:

grmccom11
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for your reply.

I had overlooked the helpline number on the application form (but noticed it 10 seconds afer posting...).  I had been reluctant to call Sony on their usual national-rate number as I ended up queueing for over an hour when I last rang it.  However, I gave the 0845 number a chance and was pleasantly surprised to get through to an agent almost immediately.

She told me that I could use the pre-paid VISA card at any retailer where VISA cards were accepted, even on the High Street.  She was unaware of what was said in the advert.

I will listen out for the advert again but what was said at the end of the advert (the radio equivalent of the small print) had left me in little doubt that the 'cashback' could only be redeemed online, thus these posts.  If you can find someone who can shed any light on what is meant by the line at the end of the advert then that would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Graeme.

grmccom11
Explorer

Hi digitaljelly,

Thanks for you reply.

The link you posted is a different (better?) version of the form on the Sony web site:

http://campaign.odw.sony-europe.com/cross/H250/PDF/201110-cashback-form-uk.pdf

I had read that in detail and was aware of how the 'cashback' was provided but after I heard the radio advert I was thinking twice about taking up any such offer.

I was replying to another post when your post appeared so, as I said there, I will listen out for the advert again but was in little doubt about what it meant when I first heard it.

Cheers,

Graeme.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome Graeme & I'm glad you've got the answers you were looking for..:smileyhappy:

grmccom11
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

I heard the radio advert again this morning (more than once) and it clearly states "Cashback redeemable online only."

I would be obliged if you would find someone to shed some further light on this as you previously suggested you might be able to.

Many thanks.

Cheers,

Graeme.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Graeme,

I'll see what I can find out, I'm guessing that the radio advert is incorrect, do know which radio station you heard the advert on & if possible the time & day that you heard it.?

grmccom11
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

The advert is for Smart TVs rather than a general promotion.  It talks about how TVs have progressed from B&W, through colour (but on someone else's schedule), internet TV on your computer and now Smart TVs from Sony.  It is being broadcast during the ClassicFM breakfast show.  I heard it again this morning but have not heard it at any other time during the day.

Cheers,

Graeme.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Graeme,

I'm still getting told the same info that the Smart Shopping pre-paid VISA card can be used at any retailer where you can usually use your Visa debit/credit cards, no stipulation that it's online only..:smileyconfused: