Join now - be part of our community!

Sony VAIO

profile.country.en_GB.title
jomacava
Explorer

Sony VAIO

What is the future for the Sony VAIO computers brand? I have seen reports that Sony is disposing of the VAIO brand to another Japanese company.

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi

(Sony Corporate Info – News Releases – February 06,2014)

Sony and Japan Industrial Partners Sign Memorandum of Understanding for Sale of PC Business

“…As a part of the sale to JIP, Sony will cease planning, design and development of PC products. Sony's manufacturing and sales will be discontinued after the Spring 2014 lineup…”  :slight_frown:

Jannis   

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
jomacava
Explorer

Jannis, thank you for your reply. Do you also happen to know when in spring 2014 this transfer takes place? And after the transfer, how do people go about buying VAIO computers in the future ? I live in the UK. John ( jomacava )

profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi

March 21th, 2014 was the last day on European Sony’s Store!

After that date, Vaios are available on Sony’s UK Outlet Store  (Refurbished and/or pre-configured models) or other Stores, while stocks last!

Jannis   

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

It will be interesting to see what becomes of the Vaio brand when a new company starts to make them. :cool:

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that I read somewhere that the VAIO brand was being 'pulled' back to Japan only for the foreseeable future. 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

That doesn't surprise me at all (oops did I say that out loud?)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, here it is....

"Following reevaluation of the product lineup, the new company is expected initially to concentrate on sales of consumer and corporate PCs in the Japanese market and seek to optimize its sales channels and scale of operations, while evaluating possible further geographic expansion."

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201402/14-019E/index.html

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

:angry: lol

jomacava
Explorer

Interesting. It looks as though there could be a time gap between Sony offloading their remaining VAIOs and JIP producing the next generation.