Join now - be part of our community!

Why did Sony call me?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
aunorth
Visitor

Why did Sony call me?

I had a call from 'Harry' this evening, purporting to be from Sony, asking about my  television and wanting to confirm my address.  He finished the call after I'd confirmed his details were correct, so I didn't have time to ask him.  I'd previously asked him to be brief as I was in the middle of cooking.  I'm now curious as to why Sony are interested.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

aunorth wrote:

I didn't contact Sony.  Last week I had a call from someone 'conducting a survey' about my television.  I told him we'd bought a Sony recently, and I assume the call tonight was in response to the previous call, but I can't fathom out why anyone is interested.  It's never happened in the past, so why start now?  No one has asked which model we have.

Sounds dodgy to me..

As far as I aware Sony don't usually contact people regarding purchases unless you have a problem, as with all unsolicitated calls, unless you are sure of the persons identity, be careful what information you give out over the phone..:smileywink:

View solution in original post

Angram
Visitor

This is a scam - not sure exactly what information they're after as they don't ask for bank details, etc but the number that the calls come from (02030266482) is well known, the patter varies, sometimes they claim to be from Microsoft and tell you that there's a virus on your computer, sometimes they're from the Department of Justice doing a survey. Just Google the number for more details. I've had them asking about what brand of TV we have twice now - if Sony genuinely wanted to know that I'm sure they have all the data at their fingertips anyway from retailers! When I have the time and inclination  I love to wind these crooks up a bit and keep them hanging on the line as long as possible :smileydevil:, they're paying and while they're stuck on the line with me they're not ripping off more gullible people.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi aunorth,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Had you contacted Sony regarding your TV prior to this call..:smileyconfused:

Did the person calling know what model TV you had.?

Have you just bought a new Sony TV.?

aunorth
Visitor

I didn't contact Sony.  Last week I had a call from someone 'conducting a survey' about my television.  I told him we'd bought a Sony recently, and I assume the call tonight was in response to the previous call, but I can't fathom out why anyone is interested.  It's never happened in the past, so why start now?  No one has asked which model we have.

aunorth
Visitor

Hi Conned bySony, Have you referred Sony to the Sales of Goods Act?  Goods sold have to be of merchantable quality.  A battery which fails after only 6 months is NOT of merchantable quality.  Have you been in touch with Trading Standards?  I'd recommend you look at this government site: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/index.htm  Good luck.

I don't buy anything over the phone, so anyone who tries gets short shrift.  If the person is really argumentative, and I'm by the computer, I put the receiver beside a speaker so that they can enjoy whichever programme I'm listening to via the iPlayer.  I replace the receiver once the line's been cleared. At least I have the satisfaction of knowing I've helped increase their phone bill, and the agent who called me has wasted a few minutes of their call time when they could have been trying to con some other mug.  Apparently firms only need to get one sale out of 10 calls to make it worth their while.

ConnedbySony
Visitor

They called you to sell you something but don't buy anything of them as if it goes wrong they will con you. I bought a Vaio computer and the battery is not charging and it isn't even a year old but what they said was it is only covered for 6 MONTHS?????####### so folks do yourself's a favour and don't buy a thing of them. I wont from now on.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

aunorth wrote:

Sounds dodgy to me..

As far as I aware Sony don't usually contact people regarding purchases unless you have a problem, as with all unsolicitated calls, unless you are sure of the persons identity, be careful what information you give out over the phone..:smileywink:

Angram
Visitor

This is a scam - not sure exactly what information they're after as they don't ask for bank details, etc but the number that the calls come from (02030266482) is well known, the patter varies, sometimes they claim to be from Microsoft and tell you that there's a virus on your computer, sometimes they're from the Department of Justice doing a survey. Just Google the number for more details. I've had them asking about what brand of TV we have twice now - if Sony genuinely wanted to know that I'm sure they have all the data at their fingertips anyway from retailers! When I have the time and inclination  I love to wind these crooks up a bit and keep them hanging on the line as long as possible :smileydevil:, they're paying and while they're stuck on the line with me they're not ripping off more gullible people.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi angram thanks for the additional info, I said i did think was doggy..

It's always worth reporting this type of call to the local authroites as they may keep records & warn others by way of community massages, etc..:smileywink:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Is it possible this is a hangover from the PS3 hacking?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Jumpy,

great to hear from you again..

jumpsuit wrote:

Is it possible this is a hangover from the PS3 hacking?

Well the caller was Anonymous..:smileylaugh: