Join now - be part of our community!

BDV-N790W

profile.country.GB.title
Bridgetsterlnig
Explorer

BDV-N790W

Hi, bought a Sony BDV surround sound system late 2013 and in the last 2-3 year had ongoing trouble and difficulty with internet connection. Now, the system has decided to not read blu ray discs. I've tried all the advice online such as resetting the box, turning various settings off and then on again, but nothing works. Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

HI Bridget, welcome to the Community.

It's possible your system is still a current model and a firmware update may be an available solution. 

You didn't provide the model number, but if it's not on this page please get back to us and we can look into it for you. If it is there, click through to the Support page and follow the instructions there.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
Bridgetsterlnig
Explorer

Hi Mick, the model number is BDV-N790W. I bought the system in September 2013 and over the years, the system has slowly stopped working properly. I'm assuming it's because Sony stopped updating its sofware in Dec 2014 (latest update has this date on it). To my mind, one year of software support doesn't seem much for a system that cost £400! Really frustrated with Sony on this one, my son's PS4 which he bought in 2013 still receives software updates every 3-4 months but not the BDV-N790W system!

profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Bridget

Firmware updates are issued when there's a widespread problem with the old firmware, or there are new developments which require an update to take advantage of. Hence the regular PS4 updates (to cater for developments in game technology) and presumably the lack of any widely-reported issues with newer discs for Blu-ray players.

At 5 years old it's possible the Blu-ray laser has stopped working on your player. As much as this is disappointing, it doesn't condemn your home cinema system to the scrap heap. There's an HDMI input on the back which should take a new Blu-ray player and they can be found very cheaply these days.

I hope this is a solution for you and you can continue to enjoy the rest of the system.

Cheers
Mick