Join now - be part of our community!

Giga Juke

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Martin_Smith
Visitor

Giga Juke

I have a sony giga juke.  It will not turn on using the remote - it is showing a blue flashing light as if it is in standby but the controls on the unit or the remote will not work.  This happended before and I had to turn it off at the mains.  Has anyone had this problem.

367 REPLIES 367
sphinx5779
Visitor

PLEASE CAN A MODERATOR TURN OFF THE 'ANSWER' BOX.  THIS ISSUE IS DEFINATELY NOT RESOLVED AND SHOULD NOT INDICATE THAT IT IS!!!

O.H.M.S.
Visitor

Hello All,

I too have been experiencing exactly the same problem since september.

The only cure seems to be disconnecting the GigaJuke from the network - a useless solution for me as I also have a multi-room system which would then not work.

I curently have a very expensive set of door wedges.

My attempts to fix this issue have resuted in me buying a new network adaptor and a new hard drive to back up the music and do a full reset.  So far I'm just over £100 out of pocket because Sony United Kingdom Limited don't like asmitting to faults.   I will be persuing Sony for reimbursement.

Unfortunatley I used to work for Sony Customer Information, so I know fom first hand experience how they will try to deny this isuue and get away with the least expensive and least embarrasing soloution.  I could tell all of you some stories about them that would make your hair stand on end...

I implore everybody having this isssue to contact anybody who will listen, hi-fi magazines, watchdog (sorry Fran M. another bad evenings tv for you!) as they will only act quickly if it embarrases them enough.  Sad but true.

To my ex employers and to my ex collegues at CIC please sort this one out quikly and shut us all up!

The twisted stairfarter.

XXX

HDFatboy96
Visitor

Hi all

Is it just me or is trying to log into this forum getting slower and slower??

Every other site is instant but with this one I wait...And wait. I suppose I ought to be used to it as the owner of a gigajuke which even when it worked was pitifully slow.

Anyway, after reading O.H.M.S mail I'm not suprised by what he says. I try to avoid ringing them cos the best I can describe it is rude and ignorant. The last one even sneered that the amount of people on this forum with the problem was nothing compared to the amount they had sold! Yea, thanks.

I hope anybody finding this forum for the first time takes the time to read all the thread, I know it might take a little while but you'll get a better idea of what we're up against.

As I've said in a previous post I can remember when Sony was as good as it got....Unfortunately it seems those days are over!

HDFatboy96
Visitor

I've had the same problem too for over a week. Seems strange they are all coming to light at the same time......... hmmm. After switching the unit off I get the annoying blue light flashing and the system won't turn back on. I have to power off at the mains and go through the whole 'system resetting' performance. A few days ago I got something along the lines of 'system unstable. Rebooting', which seemed to cure it for a little while. My problem 'appeared' to start after recording from a CD to the HDD, and last night this again appeared to create the same problem.

Considering the price of this unit along with three extra receivers, and having to put up with it's many faults i.e tediously slooooooooooooow, lack of quick search and no 'real' DAB on the wireless receivers, I'm not too far from beginning to regret ever buying this thing!

Message was edited by: HDFatboy96

Message was edited by: HDFatboy96

O.H.M.S.
Visitor

Hi All,

Please don't get me wrong I have still got a  lot of love for Sony products. #

Yes the products are not what yet used to be, but  to be fair neither are the prices. Sony have rightly or wrongly (that's amother  debate altogether) succumbed to the buying publics demand for cheaper products.

A quick look at their market share on tv sales tells a sad story, that they have  lost their way. They were always no 1 and now are not even in the top 3 - any  Sony marketing manager reading this, feel free to contact me to put you straight  on a few things. :anguished:

It's not the product I'm beefing about, IT'S THE BACKUP, and  I am uniquely placed to level such criticism.

Simon.

Sent from my HTC

By the way to the previous person saying the website was slow I was finding the same. (But my Sony Vaio is doing a backup as I sit watching TV on my Sony Bravia enjoying the surround sound on my Sony Home Theatre giving my Sony Aibo the odd kick as he walks past...blah blah blah do you think the point has been made?)  I just posted this from my mobile and it was much better odd that isn't it?

tobler2
Visitor

Good morning all.

Thought I would try a back door method to try and get an answer to this problem!

Just send an e-mail to Gracenote containing this link and ask if they have any comments, especially as they are the "third party" involved.

Problem is, when I try to send an e-mail to support@gracenote.com I get a little box saying "Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed".

Being no expert on things technical, I don't know if this is me or them!!

Anybody else want to try to contact Gracenote and succeed where I have failed?

I do hope this problem gets sorted out before long or else I will use the various components of my Giga Juke as fishing weights - then they would have water damage!

sphinxxxxx
Visitor

I have always been a loyal Sony user, almost obsessional as for many, many years I would not buy any other brand.  But, over the last 2 years I have had bad experiences with firstly, Sony products not lasting, and secondly, Sony not offering customer service.

I had a Sony Walkman that suddenly stopped working after 5 months and I sent it away for repair, I was charged £35, the Walkman was returned to me still broken and I was told that the fault was due to 'water damage'.  Then a cheap Sony audio system in my son's bedroom would not play CD's, it was in warranty, went off to Sony but was returned and not repaired because they had detected 'water damage'.  In July I bought a Sony HX9V camera for £300.  Last month the Zoom became slow and noisy so I took it back to the shop who sent it off to Sony.  It came back in the same state because Sony said it had (you've guessed it) 'water damage'.  If you care to look at the forums on here for other products, specially the ereaders, you will see consumers with the same problem.

It seems water is seeking out, and seeping into, Sony products and invalidating the warranties.

Recently, the Walkman that had sat in a drawer since being returned by Sony, I took to a repairer who said the 'hold' button was sticking and fixed it for £76.  I contacted Sony to ask for a reimbursement and an explanation of why they had said it was 'water damage'.  They would not contemplate a reimbursement because it was now out of warranty, and continued to insist that the 'water damage' existed.

Now this with the Giga Juke and Customer Services not telling me about a known fault for weeks, while Technical Services was informing the repairer that the issue was the fault of Gracenote.

The last straw, methinks.  I will in future buy from a manufacterer with integrity.

frekajiu
Visitor

So glad I found this forum. The Hi-Fi is driving me mad, with my wife asking why it's not working. To be honest, I just think sony products are overpriced and they always screw up. Does anyone remember the mess they did to the PSN?

Has anyine tried to create just a home network, without internet connection? Would that allow us to use the the hifi as server without the blue light of death?

Thanks

tobler2
Visitor

Have you ever noticed the box on the right of this page entitled "Similar questions"?

It appears to be "Retrieving data" continuosly.

Does this mean that there are trillions of similar questions ................ or is this another Sony product that doesn't work properly?

Message was edited by: tobler2

Message was edited by: tobler2

Niclan
Visitor

I was thinking the same thing, getting the original Sony wireless hub out of the garage and setting up a separate network for the gigajuke and wireless stations just so that I could stream music again to the very expensive digital clocks that are scattered around the house. I realise that this won't help those who use the wireless stations for Internet radio access but personally I think the stations available on the two shoddy services that are supported are a waste of space anyway. I'm still at a loss why they didn't include DAB or even a simple FM receiver on the wireless stations in the first place? I ended up having to put the main unit in the kitchen as that's where my wife listens to the local radio stations! The gigajuke really could have been so much better if only they had spoken to the masses before going into production with a half baked product.

I don't know about the rest of you but I kind of assumed that future software updates would at least add more features, such as a better search facility, fat chance eh when they leave us all treading water with £1000+ dead weight tied to our feet with little promise of a life line!

Not happy ! Why don't Sony at least give us regular up dates via this forum and put the word out to the dealers and repair centres who still seem woefully un informed!