Join now - be part of our community!

Giga Juke

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Martin_Smith
Visitor

Giga Juke

I have a sony giga juke.  It will not turn on using the remote - it is showing a blue flashing light as if it is in standby but the controls on the unit or the remote will not work.  This happended before and I had to turn it off at the mains.  Has anyone had this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StartTheCar
Contributor

Ok, so some of you may have noticed a change with your GigaJukes over the last 24 hours?  At least I hope some of you have, as we uploaded the permanent fix yesterday afternoon.

The units we have here, which are now fully restored to the 'normal' settings and connected to the internet,  are still working and have not locked up.   This is not a firmware update, so there will not be any visable signs of change, beyond the unit working as it did before.

With this in mind, and when you get the chance, can you all check your own machines, reconnect them and, if possible, drop us a quick update on what happens next.  Hopefully we will start to see similar positive results throughout the community.

As I said in my previous post, we had the fix last week, but needed to fully test its robustness and find a way to deliver it to your machines.  As it happened, the second part proved to be a bit of speed bump, and while we were as keen as anyone to get this fix out, it simply couldn’t be done without making sure the delivery method was as secure as the fix.

I fully appreciate that this has taken much longer than anyone would like, and has been the cause of some considerable frustration for all.  On behalf of Sony, I am really very sorry that we couldn’t get this out sooner; I can assure you, it wasn’t through lack of effort.

Best regards
Lee

Updated 25th November.

Message was edited by: StartTheCar

View solution in original post

367 REPLIES 367
Niclan
Visitor

Hi Martin, funnily enough I've had the same problem which just started this week. Very frustrating. I've found that the only way I can get the unit to switch on (without switching it off and on at the socket) is to perform a system reset (ie. by pressing the "Stop" and "Power" buttons at the same time). This seems to do the trick and I get the message "Starting Up" and then "Turning-off after setting is applied" followed by a shutdown. At this point I can start itup again by pressing the power button and everything is fine (ie. all music intact etc).

I initially thought that the system was performing the x-dj analysis of new music that has been added recently (that's what the flashing blue light in standby mode normally means) but I've now even disabled this function from the x-dj "Options->Settings->Basic->Auto-Analysis->Off" but it happened again today ! I even changed the main unit so that it performs a complete power down instead of going into standby mode when powering off but again, same problem. It's not happening everytime I power down but chances are when I come down in a morning I'm greeted with the blue flashing light of dispair !

If you find out what's up with your's I'd much appreciate a heads up.

All the best, Neil.:smileyconfused:

HDFatboy96
Visitor

I've just bought a usb hard drive to backup all my music cos I gotta feeling this thing is either gonna have me throwing out of the nearest window or having to go for repair...Whichever comes first! I've noticed in the manual that Sony will erase all saved data 'at their discretion', also anything going back onto the unit from an external hard drive will have to be veified through the internet first. Oh yea?!? It's a pity they didn't take as much care of their customers PS3 passwords and account details with such a high and mighty attitude. Call me old fashioned but I think spending over a grand on hi-fi equipment that lasts about four years isn't great value for money.(I bought this to replace a Pioneer system costing around the same price which is still going strong fourteen years later!!) I can remember the days when Sony stood for quality and reliability...Think I'm going to cut my losses and look for another hard drive system that doesn't promise what it can't deliver.

By the way, if you've typed in Sony gigajuke in a search engine with a view to buying one and ended up on this site reading the comments, do yourself a favour, and DON'T!

Message was edited by: HDFatboy96

Message was edited by: HDFatboy96

ken11141
Visitor

Hi. I am another with whom this problem has recently happened. I will hope to hear a solution from someone !

profile.country.el_GR.title
eksoginios
Visitor

Same problem here. But it' s strange. It seems that all machines had the same problem at the same time. Is it possible that sony sends via net some kind of update? I noticed that when I go to network settings there is no other mesage than "Please Wait" .As soon there is an answer please post. Thnaks

Message was edited by: eksoginios

Message was edited by: eksoginios

phsmith6723
New

HI same problem with my Giga Juke, started mid Sept. Hope that some one can come up with a solution.

nick0624
Visitor

At last others with a similar/same problem. mine started last week everything works fine until I eject the CD the draw opens then will not retract the whole system seems to freeze. I try and turn it off and the screen goes blank but remains lit, on off button still blue. the only way to get it back is to unplug the system or until I read the manual perform a reset by pressing the stop and off button simultaneously. I get to perform 1 complete eject and retract of the CD draw successfully and everything works fine, change to HDD DAB back to CD turn the unit off then back on again soon  as I open the CD draw again it freezes and back to a reset very frustrating and annoying considering it is Sony and not a cheap piece of equipment. has anybody phoned Sony or their local service department. I have not transferred music for quite a while just used the CD player and what music I put on the HDD ages ago. also I noticed the volume bar does not appear any more when adjusting the volume. I will be glad when an answer becomes available. I will post if I find an answer. oh I don't know if it helps but mine is about 2 years old.

DEANO16
Visitor

I BOUGHT THIS SYSTEM (NAS S55HDE) SECOND HAND ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO, HARDLY USED BY PREVIOUS OWNER, EVERYTHING WAS WORKING FINE UNTIL LAST WEEKEND IT STARTED SUFFERING THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU`VE DESCRIBED.

RESET IT A FEW OF TIMES AND IT WORKED ALRIGHT FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS BUT IT IS NOW DOING IT CONSTANTLY. I`VE TRIED EVERYTHING, BUT FORMATTING THE HARD DRIVE, I DON`T THINK THAT WILL HELP BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO BE LINKED TO THE CD OPERATION AS EVERTHING ELSE STILL WORKS FINE.

ITS ALLOWED ME TO BACK UP ALL DATA TO USB DRIVE, IM JUST WORRIED WHETHER IT WILL ALLOW ME TO RESTORE THE DATA BACK ONTO IT AFTER FORMATTING IT.

IT COULD BE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE INTERNET, SEEING AS ITS HAPPENED TO A FEW OF US AT THE SAME TIME.

HOPE SOMEONE CAN ANSWER THIS SOON.

It must be something to do with the internet connection.

Could be coincidence but I took the usb wireless dongle out and everythings been fine for a few days, not great if it is the solution, as it makes the other wireless sets useless, what with the 4 or 5 internet radio stations it can get.

Message was edited by: DEANO16

Message was edited by: DEANO16

chmoore74
Visitor

We have exactly the same issue with this overpriced piece of kit that has not lasted a reasonable time. If it were a complicated piece of technology you could understand it but it only allows you to copy to and not from, so whats the point of the ipod connection!! Our friend bought this a few weeks before us and he is experiencing the same thing as we are but thought that it was because his young grandaughter may have pressed some buttons on it incorrectly NO the kit is useless as the moment with this fault. It is totally frustrating that it will not action any commands via the remote or even the actual buttons withouth switching the electric supply off and back on again a few times!!! What is going on SONY your reputation is going downhill with this lack of care for customer service. When you phone the technical centre you are told to take unit back to be repaired at £30 (obviously no return on that cash) and then they will phone you if the repair is over £60. I refuse to send it for this maintenance until SONY confirm and identify the issue which is clearly not just a one off it is an inherant issue after a few years. Could it be solder worn or some program fault is my suspicion!!!

nick0624
Visitor

Thanks For the Acknowledgement HDFatboy96 glad my problem is actually the same. I did see DEANO16 added to his response last night about taking his internet dongle out and it started working. Not that its a proper fix but its a start. I will try mine later and update. it does seem strange that it has only just stated happening. I wonder how many other people it has happened to. will keep updating. Nick