Join now - be part of our community!

Sony CMT-X5CDB and replacement stop playing CDs mid track

profile.country.GB.title
miboreh88
New

Sony CMT-X5CDB and replacement stop playing CDs mid track

We have just bought a Sony CMT-X5CDB all-in-one HiFi unit.

It suits us very well, but most (not all) CDs stop playing the CD mid track. This is often around 18 mins but has happened at 8 minutes

I phoned Sony support who had me do a factory reset, but it was the same. They said to return it if the problem persisted which it did.

I returned it to Amazon and received a replacement....which is doing exactly the same!

What could we be doing wrong? Our CDs are all quite old hi quality classical in good condition....do CDs vary in any respect?

Reviews about the CD player (not the DAB) are mostly positive with no mention of problems like this.

Any advice most welcome?

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
miboreh88
New

I returned the second one to Amazon, and bought a third one from a local HiFi shop after discussing the problem with them. This was partly to avoid a possible bad batch at Amazon, and partly because they were helpful.

The third one has the same problem. The same two CDs stop mid track. I wrote "most" in the first post because we had only tried four CDs of which two wouldnt play. However since then we have played another 20 CDs and only one other has stopped mid track. 

The local HiFi shop say that cheaper CD players and computer CD/DVD players are more tolerant of CDs than expensive better players.  I have also seen it said elsewhere that Sony CD players tend to be more fussy than other brands.

Since there are no similar competing products and we like device, we have decided to keep it and play the CDs that won't work by other means.