Join now - be part of our community!

DN1040 What can you attach to Zone 2 ?? Sonos perhaps??

SOLVED
glowworm
Explorer

DN1040 What can you attach to Zone 2 ?? Sonos perhaps??

I would like to feed stereo(not necessarily surround sound) output to other rooms in my house wirelessly. Would a SONOS CONNECT AMP work as ZONE 2, so I could support wireless SONOS speakers ? Thereby sending sound on my 1040 to the wireless speakers.

I guess I could I take the sound output from the SONOS system in as input to the DN1040 on a CD or spare VIDEO port ?

Is a cheaper alternative to take the headphones output into a cheapo wireless transmitter to wireless speakers ?

I do find it annoying that the speaker sound is cutoff as soon as you plug headphones in....It would be nice to have the option on the speaker menu ( SPEAKERS..ONLY/ON WITH HEADPHONES/HEADPHONES ONLY/ALL OFF)... Maybe SONY could include my request in a s/w upgrade sometime.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
glowworm
Explorer

Update ... Bought my SONOS CONNECT & PLAY1 on Monday. All connected up and working great both as input to and output(ZONE2) from my 1040.

Only pain are the restrictions on ZONE 2 ... CD,FM,AM (only) & VIDEO1(whilst on ZONE 1) can be switched through ZONE2.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilizing the Zone 2 function will enable you to have multiple sources playing from one room to another independantly.

I found a couple of links that you may find useful:

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/using_the_connect_amp_with_a_receiver

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/sonos_connect_to_a_2_zone_receiver

glowworm
Explorer

Thanks for the links... They imply it should work.. if I'm reading them correctly... But I'll ask my local RicherSounds shop to setup a demo of it working before I commit to purchase.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats exactly how I read it too.

Good luck and have fun :slight_smile:

glowworm
Explorer

Quinnicus, The Sony spec  for a 1040 says 2 Pre-Out outputs ? .... which are these ? I understand Zone 2 to be analogue audio only which I assume is RCA .... therefore should work.

I am confused why Sony dropped Blue tooth on the European 1040 when ALL SONYs wireless speakers seem to be Bluetooth... and I'm still trying to work out what supports PARTY streaming.... As you say ... Have fun :thinking:

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think they are meaning the 2 subwoofer connections are the pre-outs - which probably should be labeled "Sub Pre-out" instead.  The Zone 2 is what is called a pre-amp.  This is stereo (analog) - RCA connections.

A lot of people are confused as well about the dropping of the bluetooth - And no one really seems to know why.  I can only assume that someone was on an all-night bender one day and decided to annoy the europeans.

Party Streaming - You must have two (or more) compatible devices in order for this to work.  Basically it is to get the same audio stream across multiple devices (and speakers) throughout.  For example, you have two devices, 1 on ground floor and 1 upstairs: both are playing the EXACT same audio(music) from the host (or server)

Hope that helps

glowworm
Explorer

Had another "play" with Zone 2 today ... Attached my wireless headphones transmitter to Zone 2 outputs... TV on Zone 1 watching SKY Sports and switched on Zone 2 and turned on FM from the AMP and Bobs your Uncle .... FM Radio on the headphones without affecting the TV audio system.

Which solves the problem of the sound cutting out if you plug headphones in the proper socket, if Zone 1 and Zone 2 are using the same input. Also solves the problem if someone else wants to listen to another input on headphones in the same room.

The 1040 is very flexible and I'm getting more certain it will integrate very nicely with a SONOS system. 

glowworm
Explorer

Update ... Bought my SONOS CONNECT & PLAY1 on Monday. All connected up and working great both as input to and output(ZONE2) from my 1040.

Only pain are the restrictions on ZONE 2 ... CD,FM,AM (only) & VIDEO1(whilst on ZONE 1) can be switched through ZONE2.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great - Thanks for the update, Im glad all is working.

Have fun !