Join now - be part of our community!

NSZ-GS7 - Sky+hd via HDMI Question

profile.country.en_GB.title
Drumlad
Visitor

NSZ-GS7 - Sky+hd via HDMI Question

Hi there, hope someone can help with this one.

I am connecting my Sky+hd box via HDMI to the NSZ-GS7, then obviously HDMI out from the GS7 to the TV.

I'm finding that occasionally I lose signal from the sky+hd box via the GS7 to the TV and the only way to resolve that is to perform a full shut down and restart of the GS7.  The GS7 is normally on the Quick Start setting, so I have to switch that setting off, shut down and restart the GS7 and then switch the Quick Start back on.

I know the signal is coming from the Sky+hd box fine.  Anyone had any similar experience?

Cheers

21 REPLIES 21
gofrost

my sky+ box is an amstrad drx890 the details have recently changed and are as follows

model number R00.053.70.05P

version number 4f310b

manufacturer is now Sky

the sony nsz -gs7 firmware is 20120724

maybe the sky box needs a forced update or maybe a cable issue

Catmambo
Contributor

Great thanks all  - being investigated as I type by the engineers in Tokyo. We'll feedback as soon as we have an update.

Thanks

Gmaloon
Visitor

I have the same problem. Also if the sky+hd box is connected to the gs7 then I get an error on the rf connected tv. It complains about hdcp support.  Disconnecting the gs7 returns it to normal.

When I watch tv through the gs7 it sometimes goes into a cycle of working and then snow.

It seems there is something not compatible with the gs7 and the sky box.

caballist
Visitor

I'm having problems with an Amstrad DRX890 too. Getting intermittent complaints on the TV aerial output that the HDMI connection doesn't support HDCP and that it should be disconnected. The Sky box is also very very slow once this situation has occurred - normal speed menu updates restored after a reboot.

gofrost

hdmi supports hdcp it's the device that does'nt that is why you get an error message

Gmaloon
Visitor

What is the solution then? I cant use it with the sky decoder which basically makes it useless.

caballist
Visitor

There was a new firmware release on the 12th October which mentions HDMI connectivity improvements. Just updating this item to say that the new firmware does not fix the problem.

And to recap..

Amstrad DRX890 (Sky+HD) -> HDMI -> NSZ-GS7 -> HDMI -> TV

Causes the Sky+HD box to wake from standby with no HDMI output available. The following error message is displayed on the co-ax output and the Sky+HD menu system runs very very very very slowly until the HDMI cable is disconnected.

'For Your Information'

'This display does support HDCP'

'Call 08442 414141 for further information'

'Please disconnect your HDMI connection'

I'm operating the NSZ-GS7 in 'always on' mode (ie no standby power down at all) it's the Sky+HD box sleeping/waking that triggers the issue and I've tried both HMDI modes that are configurable in the system settings. And the Sky+HD box has no problems waking/sleeping when connected direct to the TV.

gofrost

HDCP refers to copyright on films and other media but specifically film your device is not hdcp compliant l get a similar message when I activate my devices and the nsz- gs7 starts before the sky box comes out of standby " no signal please check hdmi in " the phone number you quote is for sky because of their sky movies package and the need for sky and device manufacturers to pay for rights to show and enable to show copyrighted film my set up is as follows sky drx890 -nsz gs7-46hx803 this panel is hdcp compliant

caballist
Visitor

gofrost - you've posted a couple of times after me and I'm not sure whether you're actually replying to me or to someone else. I'm going to assume you are attempting to reply to me and correct you on a couple of points because otherwise we might leave a few people unnecessarily confused.

HDCP has nothing much to do with copyright on films except insofar as it is an attempt to ensure that illicit (unlicensed) copying devices are not inserted into the line of devices between a media source and a display. It is a hardware solution invented by Intel which media device manufacturers license for the right to have their hardware state that they conform to the HDCP standard in such a way that the devices on the other end of the cable can confirm that the media content being sent cannot be copied along the way.

When my sky box comes out of standby *without* the NSZ GS7 inbetween it and the TV, the sky box performs it's HDCP handshake with the TV directly and confirms that there are no unlicensed (non-HDCP compliant) devices in the loop.

When my sky box comes out of standby *with* the NSZ-GS7 in the loop the HDCP handshake fails to confirm that there is a secure HDCP connection all the way through to the display and therefore the HDMI output on the sky box is disabled and it puts up the error I've noted in my post above (this appears on the coax output which feeds my telly in the kitchen as that is the only output working at this point). As you note (I think) you have an error on the NSZ-GS7 at this point because the sky box has disabled it's HDMI output. If you attached a TV to the coax output on your sky box you would see the same error I do.

The phone number I quoted from the error message is the general Sky customer services number and is no more relevant to a Sky movies package than any other Sky number. Also just to clarify, I do not subscribe to the Sky Movies package.

My presumption at this time (as this is the newest device added to a previously working system) is that the NSZ-GS7 does not properly implement or respond to the HDCP handshake that the sky box attempts on waking from standby. There's also the small possibility that the sky box does not implement the handshake properly, but that it doesn't matter in the case where there is no intermediate device between it and the TV or that the TV (a Samsung PS63C7000) has some workaround built into it to cope with dodgy HDCP handshakes from sky boxes when they wake up. It's also possible that the TV has some bug whereby it doesn't respond properly when there is an intermediate device.

also gofrost, your points might be easier to understand with some punctuation.

Gmaloon
Visitor

Has anyone found a workaround for this. I am unable to use my google TV with my sky box at all. I have now connected it to a seperate HDMI port, and use it just for browsing whcih kind of defeats the purpose of having the Google TV device.