Join now - be part of our community!

S370 - BBC Iplayer program listings will not show

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
NorthMonkey

S370 - BBC Iplayer program listings will not show

I've got a problem on my BDP S370.  I can access IPlayer and view programs from the main entry screen and any of the 'Most Popular' listings in the browser.  However if I choose any of the days e.g. Sat 24th, Fri 23rd etc, the spinning activity icon next to the Alphabetical listings boxes appears and nothing else happens.  I've tried leaving it for several minutes, no luck.  If I choose any of the programs to watch that I can see, the main spinning activity icon at the top right of the screen fires up and the program loads.

All other online apps working just fine.  So was BBC IPlayer up till recently.

Accessing through Virgin Media.  Proxy server option disabled after it stopped all online apps working. 

Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NorthMonkey

Hi guys,

I've managed to fix it.

Do a full factory reset, all settings, and then also do an 'Initialise personal information'.  It then asks 'Are you sure' and talks about it deleting all kinds of things, including 'last played, connection information etc'.  I suspect that some setting Iplayer doesn't like is stuck in a cache somewhere which is cleared on the initialisation of personal info.

The player then restarts.  I ran through Easy setup for convenience then checked the menu.  All apps for Music/Photo/Video had disappeared.  Which is good, that's what I wanted.  I updated internet information which repopulated everything.  From this I assume that apps were actually re-installed, not just added to.  Hopefully meaning I've got fresh clear copies now too.  Rather like PC problems where only solutions are re-installing programs!

All working fine now!  Hoping it fixes the Lovefilm streaming buffering issues I've been getting recently too.

Rather conveniently Lovefilm has remembered my player so I don't need to relink it either. 

Thanks to Sony reps for their help.  I hope this answer helps other customers having the same or similar problems.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Convergence
Visitor

Hi have you tried again, i cant find an issue with my S370?

NorthMonkey

Hello,

No, still not working.  I've tried to do a firmware replace using a CD but since I already have the latest version it won't reload it.  I've also tried a Factory reset, still no change.

Is there any way to force a firmware replace from CD?  Or to force a full replace of the BBC IPlayer App in the software listing?

Convergence
Visitor

Hi I dont believe this is a firmware issue as I have the latest also, if all other functions are working, I would reset the router to see if a change of IP help, sounds like a local issue rather than a player one

Bloomoon
Visitor

I am having exactly the same problem with my BPD-S480 did you manage to resolve yours? It's driving me potty!

NorthMonkey

Still not solved it no I'm afraid.  Reset the router and no joy.  It shouldn't be the IP address though.  It sounds like the BBC IPlayer application itself cannot connect for whatever reason at a certain point.  Other screens work in it so it should work. I'd like to reload the player firmware and re-install the apps, fairly sure that would fix it.  I just don't know how.

Catmambo
Contributor

Have you tried power cycling everything? Basically unplug the router and 370 from the wall and leave them off for 5 minutes or so? I think this ensures that any IP connections are forgotten, forcing it to login again when you turn the power back on again.

Thanks

NorthMonkey

Hello Catmambo,

Power cycling doesn't work on my Virgin setup to reset IP, it's persistent for each MAC address. But by changing the MAC address of the router I can acquire (and have done so) a new IP address from Virgin.  I've also manually programmed the IP address of the 370 to be XXX.XXX.1.9.  (where XXX is numbers, not saying for security). 

1.9 definitely a new one for the 370.  Yet still no joy.  I can go through IPlayer menus normally, but still cannot look at individual days or search for programs.  Also the 'last Played' doesn't work either. 

Is there any way to look at the system logs on the 370?  I'm a Java programmer by trade so might be able to make some sense of the problem if there is a way to do so?  I believe the 370 is Java powered so perhaps I can help.

Catmambo
Contributor

Are you able to test it on another Internet connection that is totally different to your home one - maybe at a friends or something? That should hopefully isolate the issue a bit further..

Thanks

Bloomoon
Visitor

I tried turning it on and off again before I came to look for a solution on the Internet, no joy I am afraid. I am on Sky broadband btw.

Exactly the same problem as NorthMonkey, and everything else streams and loads perfectly 😞