Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD890 DVD has no Digital channels

SOLVED
Flatbrat
Explorer

RDR-HXD890 DVD has no Digital channels

Help!!!!! My RDR-HXD890 has lost ALL channels- no EPG - zilch - Whats going on? Is Sony going to fix the problems? Does anybody know?

I have tried all the possible scenario's but no luck!

114 REPLIES 114
BryanSony
Explorer

Hi All,

Similar symptoms here, lost all digital channels on our RDR-HXD890 some time on Friday, EPG display format had changed and it blanked after displaying for a second or so. Similar result if signal quality checked, display would appear then blank after a second or so. Tried all the fixes mentioned by others, upgrading to 1.24 firmware (was 1.15) also hung at DOWNLOAD-5 but did appear to have completed as 1.24 shown in the version ok after a power reset

Tuning in French mode as suggested has brought the channels back and also the signal quality display now works OK. Waiting for a proper fix to the EPG now.

Thanks for all the other posts at least I can stop struggling to find other fixes for now.

profile.country.GB.title
linjohn1
Explorer

Hi mate,

just to let you know I thought I was going nuts, and the only one with a problem.  Have tried all the discussed fixes and still no epg.  Was just about to go out and buy a new dvd recorder when I found this thread.  Do we wait and see if Sony do anything more?

Cheers John

profile.country.GB.title
sparkio
Explorer

Keep trying, maparke5655 and others. I too got stuck at DOWNLOAD-5, left it overnight, switched the power off and on in the morning and it seemed to work OK. The firmware version now says 1.70, the EPG works without crashing, and most importantly, I can watch Freeview!

The crucial bit seems to be making sure that your CD is burned in disk-at-once (DAO) mode. I used Roxio, which is the only software I can find that has this option. By the way, I did this using a CD-RW (Sony brand). I read one post saying that only CD-Rs work but in my experience it doesn't make any difference.

I'm still hoping for a version of firmware that doesn't hang during updating. Only then will I consider my HXD-770 properly fixed.

profile.country.GB.title
linjohn1
Explorer

ATTENTION ATTENTION

Just as a last try before I blew up.  I turned the unit off then on and tried my epg.  It works again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Yipeeeeee 

Tags (1)
BryanSony
Explorer

Hi All,

Yes just to say it seems to have been fixed a short while ago. I have just rescanned in UK mode and EPG and digital channels are back working again 🙂

KATHY9090

Have just retuned mine and it is back working.

Dinmont
Explorer

My 870 now back working normally except facility for recording series has disappeared so can only record tonight's White Queen! But at least something is back, and didn't have to rescan - it was all there as per usual
flossie1234
Explorer

Just tried both my 870 and 995 and both appear to be working!  The EPG is a bit different looking on the 995 but at least we can record tonight!

profile.country.en_GB.title
LAINYRIDDAS
Explorer

Yeah Im back u & running only think missing is my preset recordings But at least its back !

profile.country.GB.title
Minders
Explorer

Yippeee!! It works again.  I followed the instructions at:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/RDR-HXD790/downloads/FW_DVDR_124

Crucial bits seem to be (as mentioned above)

• to write to a CD in write-at-once mode, or in my case in "Close disc" mode
  • Use the default writing speed - I tried at a slower speed in the belief that this would be more reliable. It failed and I had to erase the whole CD-RW and start again at the default fastest speed, which worked.
  • Once the UPDATE - 5 had finished on my unit and powered off, I rescanned to the channels in UK locality mode, and had to reset the EPG type to Guide (Digital) to get away from the failed Guide+ one.

Good luck everyone!