Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDV-N590 (Audio DAC's)

andipavel
Explorer

Sony BDV-N590 (Audio DAC's)

How can I find out what DACs are used in this system? I still can't decide if I should use its own DAC for music or connect a two channel source through analog inputs. I noticed that if I connect an external source, like a cd player, the sound is somehow louder, but I feel like I'm loosing some focus and cohesion, but it's quite difficult to make a certain comparison given the volume difference between N590's own decoding and the external source input. Can I assume that the system works better with its own decoder, or can I benefit by connecting a better external source? I'm refering just for listening to music.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi andipavel

Unfortunately your questions are beyond my level of understanding.  Hopefully another forum member may know the answer to your question.

Do you mind if I separate your audio question into another topic/thread ?

Cheers

andipavel
Explorer

Ok, thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

In regards to the louder volume when connecting a CD-Player, I am going to assume that the CD player has a built in pre-amp - which might explain the volume.

andipavel
Explorer

Could be.

I noticed that N590 has a function called Attenuate, that says:

[Attenuate - AUDIO]

Distortion may occur when you listen to a

component connected to the AUDIO (AUDIO

IN L/R) jacks. You can prevent distortion by

attenuating the input level on the unit.

I assume that at a higher volume you can get distortion when listening to a connected external source, and I also noticed that in several reviews people mentioned that N590 does not distort even at maximum volume (that is using its own internal player).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im going to think aloud here - so it could be wrong.

In regards to DAC, which stands for Digital Analogue Conversion.  The N590 does not have any analogue output connections (ie composite RCA cables).  The connected CD-player would need its own DAC to output digital audio through analogue connections.  So therefore all the N590 needs to be able to do is read the digital audio files or even 'pass-through' the analogue input to the speakers.

See the Audio decoding specs : HERE

Maybe this helps?

Cheers