Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HXD870 recorder will not work properly following Freeview Channel Change

profile.country.GB.title
Billiemill
New

Sony HXD870 recorder will not work properly following Freeview Channel Change

Help, my Sony HXD870 recorder will not work properly following the Freeview channel change. I retune it but the new channels are not there and when I turn it off and on again it needs completely retuned again as all the channels have disappeared. 

I deleted the junk, switched off, switched on, blank screen, no channels. Retuned, all deleted channels back. When I retune everything goes back the way it was before the freeview channel change e.g. BBC News is channel 130. When I try channel 231 I get a message this channel not in use. When I turn off and back on again blank screen, no channels, need to retune again. Have tried retune and easy set up with same result.
I am stumped.

41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mooly01

Ive been subscribed to that thread for ages now - well since the last couple of major RDR issues :slight_smile:

Also nothing on Digital Spy either.  So its not widespread. 

profile.country.GB.title
Qwertyuip

Update

Thank you for the suggestions to solve the issue with the hxd-870.

I have returned to factory setting:- made no difference 

I did a new install without aerial then returned to factory setting :- made no difference 

I have just heard from sony and the solution they have said I need to do is

1 update firmware 

2 unplug from mains for one minute 

3 do a manual channel tuning and save all channels one by one

4 then do a factory reset

that should rectify the fault if not contact customer services for further advice

well fngers crossed it will work. Sony are not aware of any problems with any of their DVD recorders. They are sure its a firmware issue

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Good to know you have a found a solution. I remember updating mine some years ago which possibly suggests that this was not offered as an over air download. 

Instructions on updating firmware is here:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/home-video-dvd-players-recorders/rdr-hxd870/downloads/Z00...

Good luck and let us  know how you get on.

profile.country.GB.title
jimthemusic
Explorer

I'm having the same problem with my 995 but can only find repair details  on the Sony website for 870.   Are they the same but just with different firmware?

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Try this link:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/home-video-dvd-players-recorders/rdr-hxd995/downloads/Z00...

The download button is at the top of the page. PLEASE make sure your model corresponds to those in the applicable list.

profile.country.GB.title
Qwertyuip

Follow up

The hxd-995 is sorted. Firmware was updated to 1.24 and channels now stored

the hxd-870 is a different matter, my recorder has version 1.62 installed, went to update to version 1.70 but it wouldn't update. I was told to update to version 1.66 first then do 1.70 but the recorder will not update to version 1.66 either. When firmware cd put in the tray and installation starts the recorder starts reading the cd then ejects cd and powers off.

in the mean time i have manually installed channels. In my area freeview transmits on 12 rf channels. I have installed 7 of these that give me all channels. Dvd powered off and channels remain. When the dvd has the next channel search tomorrow will be interesting to see what happens.

i will send my findngs to sony and will post a follow up

profile.country.GB.title
lithoartist

Qwertyuip

I am unsure how to manually install channels on Sony HXD870.  I have been to Initial Setup/Digital Tuner/Channel Options but it seems not to be the correct location.  I do not understand the reference to radio frequency channels.

profile.country.GB.title
Qwertyuip

Lithoartist

to manually install channels go to system menu > Initial set up > Digital tuner > signal check > next screen then you can manually add channels from there. Select RF channel required.

I did a scan and channels were found on 22,23,25,26,27,28,29 these are the ones I added plus 39,43,45,46,54 these I didnt add

I live near london uk so they might be different elsewhere

RF 22 has these freeview channels 11,12,17,23,29,32,38,41,43,46,48,49,65,68,69,72,233

RF 23 has these freeview channels 1,2,9,231,232

RF 25 has these freeview channels 10,16,20,21,26,27,30,34,37,54,58,59,61,66,70,74,80,83,85,92

RF 26 has these freeview channels 3,4,5,6,13,14,15,24,28,33

RF 27 has this freeview channel 7

RF 28 has these freeview channels 18,19,22,25,31,35,36,39,42,47

RF 29 has these freeview channels 8,60,62

I have excluded adult, childrens streaming and radio. But they are in the above RF channells

I haven't checked whats on the other 5 channels signals were quite weak 39,43,45,46,54

hope that makes sense

profile.country.GB.title
jimthemusic
Explorer

Thank you!    All sorted.   Thank you again!

profile.country.GB.title
lithoartist

Qwertyuip

I thank you for your prompt and instructive reply.

I live near Reading, for comparative purposes.  I was able to add 22, 23, 25, 26, and 29 (Fair), but not 27.  41, 42, 44, 45 and 47 were good, also.  I wonder how you determine what channels are available on each frequency?

"D001" appeared following powering off and on.