Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HXD870 recorder will not work properly following Freeview Channel Change

profile.country.GB.title
Billiemill
New

Sony HXD870 recorder will not work properly following Freeview Channel Change

Help, my Sony HXD870 recorder will not work properly following the Freeview channel change. I retune it but the new channels are not there and when I turn it off and on again it needs completely retuned again as all the channels have disappeared. 

I deleted the junk, switched off, switched on, blank screen, no channels. Retuned, all deleted channels back. When I retune everything goes back the way it was before the freeview channel change e.g. BBC News is channel 130. When I try channel 231 I get a message this channel not in use. When I turn off and back on again blank screen, no channels, need to retune again. Have tried retune and easy set up with same result.
I am stumped.

41 REPLIES 41
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

It might be worth you trying Ashampoo software.

From here and if you change the right hand drop down to 'Full Versions Free' you will see 'Burning Studio 2017' is free. Its a reputable company and I've never had issues with any of the Burning STudio products.

https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/fdl

I would try doing a CD-RW as you have them but remember to make sure that the disc is either unused, or make certain that you format it to completely erase all traces of what was present before.

profile.country.GB.title
spike95609
Explorer

Thank you very much for that advice, I'm finally getting somewhere. I downloaded Ashampoo as requested, and did just a normal straight forward burn of the 1.66 file onto the CD-RW. To my surprise the DVD recorder accepted it and successfully upgraded. I haven't done 1.70 yet because I'm of the school of not fixing something when it isn't broke, and so far everything seems to be working okay and no channels are being lost. If that continues to be the case I'll leave it alone, but I'll make a disc with 1.70 on it in case it's needed. Thanks again!

Mark

profile.country.GB.title
Qwertyuip

Thanks again for information on updating the firmware on the 870.

great news that ashampoo has worked will be trying at the weekend, looks light we can see the light at the end of the tunnel

kind regards

paul

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Thats great news. 

I can understand the 'if it aint broke don't fix it' thinking. I'm like that with my Sony Android TV. The latest update brings nothing of use to me... and so :slight_smile: although I probably will at some point though.

It might be worth you looking back at the forums to see what issues 1.70 was supposed to fix, its that long ago I can't remember now. 

profile.country.GB.title
Qwertyuip

Update

Great news here too

downloaded ashampoo software and burnt two CD-R disks 1.66 was burnstudio 3 worked 1.70 burn studio 2017 also worked

thanks for your help and assistance

was strange how the HXD-995 updated with a default windows burn but the HXD-870 wouldn't 

firmware now 1.70

thanks again for your help

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

That's great to hear. These old Sonys are always well worth saving.

profile.country.GB.title
lithoartist

The furore seems to have died down.  At the risk of tempting providence, the manual tuning of channels suggested by Qwertyuip continues to work for my recorder.  TITLE LIST remains less than full screen, but it is something with which I can live.  I have been unable to find the firmware/software version on the recorder.  I should be grateful if someone would point me to its location for future reference.

I began to look into Blu-ray HDD recorders in preparation for the worst.  I found it an interesting exercise: John Lewis have two models online, both Panasonic, of which DMR-PWT550EB alone was in stock at my local store out of three shelves of other types of Blu-ray device - everything but HDD recorders.  It appears all other manufacturers have abandoned this particular part of the market.  The Panasonic had some negative elements in its reviews - particularly regarding its operating instructions and dated software display - so that I am extremely pleased my HXD870 continues to function ten years after its purchase.  

profile.country.GB.title
spike95609
Explorer

My 870 is still working fine after I put the 1.66 upgrade on it, so hopefully that's that. Until it decides I need 1.70 that is, but at least then I'll know what to do. The download page for 1.70 is at https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/home-video-dvd-players-recorders/rdr-hxd870/downloads/Z00... and just under the "Install" heading it tells you how to check what firmware you have on your recorder. At the bottom of the page there's a link to the 1.66 upgrade if you need it.

profile.country.GB.title
Annie888
Explorer

I held down 'stop' and switched off, but now nothing works. I can't even retune it - I just can't do anything. Help!

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

If it is in standby then try disconnecting the mains for a few minutes. Reconnect the mains and see if it powers up.

If it does then wait around 30 seconds and then press and hold the stop button on the front. While keeping the stop button pressed in at all times, press the standby button. It should now switch off and reset. When you turn it back on it should default to the 'Welcome ' sceen and the setup wizard.

The reset will only work if you begin from it being on (either HDD or DVD button illuminated).