Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the current EPG issue that seems to be affecting a significant amount of Sony & Pioneer DVD recorders.

Models potentially affected are:

RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070/790/890/995/1095

It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG data. So we are already trying to understand what has happened and how this can be rectified, realising that a large number of people have been affected.

Latest Update 22/07/2013 15:41

Sony has been working with the broadcasters to try to work out why this issue has occurred and how to remedy it. With your help Sony has discovered that clearing down potentially corrupt broadcast data (EPG) stored within the machine will remedy this issue.

Whilst we continue to work with the broadcasters, and ahead of any final statement, we recommend the following steps to remedy this issue:

1/.

i). Turn off the DVD/HDD recorder at the mains (ie remove the plug from the wall)

ii). Wait 30 seconds

iii). Reconnect the power.

The set may now work correctly.

However, in certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new):

2/.

i). Make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned 'on'

ii). Remove any DVD disc from the machine and close the drawer.

iii). Press and hold the "Stop" button, then press and release the "on/standby" button, then release the "Stop" button (ON THE RECORDER, not the remote)

iv). The product is then turned 'off' and all settings are reset to factory default, with all potentially corrupt 'tuning' and 'EPG' data removed.

v). The DVD/HDD recorder will now need to be re-tuned and set up following the step-by-step on screen instructions - Note: Choose "Digital Guide" rather than "Guide Plus" at the relevant stage of the set-up (Guide Plus is no longer broadcast).

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

Many thanks

195 REPLIES 195
glider2
Explorer

pewrigh38 wrote, in message 189

"@ alicia

every time there is a fault on the freeview system, of any kind , your recorder will suffer because of it. this has nothing to do with sony"

Is it definite that the fault was on the Freeview system?

Why, in the main, have only Sony recorders been affected?

Sony at least owes us a statement about .the cause of the problem. So far it has been virtually silent about the cause.

Mr_Onion

It is definite that the EPG guide (NOT Freeview its self) that has caused the glitch. That has been confirmed by SONY.

Blaming SONY is like blaming Microsoft for being virused when Apples escape infection.

glider2
Explorer

Mr_Onion wrote-

"It is definite that the EPG guide (NOT Freeview its self) that has caused the glitch. That has been confirmed by SONY."

I appreciate that the glitch is directly related to the EPG. But the glitch could be either-

a) an error in the EPG syntax, or
b) an error in the way the EPG syntax is parsed by the firmware (which as I understand it is quite complex software) in various DVD recorders.

Has Sony made it clear which applies, or given an alternative explanation?

Mr_Onion

Not as yet (as far as I know)

rexicles
Explorer

My RDR-HXD870 has just started having problems again similar to last July 2013! No error messages but digital reception disappears after about 3 seconds. When I try to "French" location fix, all channels come back and EPG is lost. So AGAIN, this problem is something to do with Sony and broadcasters and NOT the DVD recorder. Sony - please help!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Please refer to the following thread:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home-cinema-projectors-players/rdr-issues-may-2014-master-thread/m-p/...

Simply Click the "Me Too" button on the first post, to register that you have an issue. 

Thank you.