Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the current EPG issue that seems to be affecting a significant amount of Sony & Pioneer DVD recorders.

Models potentially affected are:

RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070/790/890/995/1095

It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG data. So we are already trying to understand what has happened and how this can be rectified, realising that a large number of people have been affected.

Latest Update 22/07/2013 15:41

Sony has been working with the broadcasters to try to work out why this issue has occurred and how to remedy it. With your help Sony has discovered that clearing down potentially corrupt broadcast data (EPG) stored within the machine will remedy this issue.

Whilst we continue to work with the broadcasters, and ahead of any final statement, we recommend the following steps to remedy this issue:

1/.

i). Turn off the DVD/HDD recorder at the mains (ie remove the plug from the wall)

ii). Wait 30 seconds

iii). Reconnect the power.

The set may now work correctly.

However, in certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new):

2/.

i). Make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned 'on'

ii). Remove any DVD disc from the machine and close the drawer.

iii). Press and hold the "Stop" button, then press and release the "on/standby" button, then release the "Stop" button (ON THE RECORDER, not the remote)

iv). The product is then turned 'off' and all settings are reset to factory default, with all potentially corrupt 'tuning' and 'EPG' data removed.

v). The DVD/HDD recorder will now need to be re-tuned and set up following the step-by-step on screen instructions - Note: Choose "Digital Guide" rather than "Guide Plus" at the relevant stage of the set-up (Guide Plus is no longer broadcast).

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

Many thanks

195 REPLIES 195
Aurorafel

Still nothing, done all the France, UK steps again, signal check at 100% then black screen, so annoying, was 3 days last time, so keeping fingers crossed.

Aurorafel

So excited!  Its back!  Yeah, thanks everyone, but in future, I think its best to leave well alone and wait, save resetting timers, prefs etc,  you were all great helping! 

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Aurorafel,

sorry missed your post, I replied to the other thread, I tend to miss posts when there are more than one thread on the subject..:smileyexclaim:

Here is a copy of the updates I posted on the other thread..

Posted at: 10:58 today
Ok Latest update as promised..
"Sony tech guys have had it confirmed by the BBC that there is a problem with the Winter hill transmitter.
They are fixing the problem but it may take some hours."

Posted at: 12:08 today
I have been informed that the Winter Hill problem should now be fixed, anyone else confirm this.?

pewrigh38

yep, working ok again ! thanks
profile.country.GB.title
Drewde
Administrator

Hi all,

We understand that the EPG issue in the Manchester area is now resolved again. As you probably know, the EPG contains information from both nationwide and regional channels, and receives this information via several different feeds. When a feed isn’t sent in the usual way, it causes some recorders to malfunction. We have requested that the different parties involved investigate the situation and together find a long term solution.

We would appreciate your support to further flag these issues (if and when they occur) so that we can quickly inform the relevant parties and work together on a solution for the impacted area and its customers.

Thanks and kindest regards,

The Sony community team

Mr_Onion

Thank you for  responding to this topic. Its great to see someone from SONY on here

AliciaKM5
New

My RDR-HXD970 DVD recorder went into an interminable Update on 22 July like so many others. Eventually I find   and followed instructions in the forums and after several tries I managed to get it to work again.  But this morning it went into Update again and it is still there!  I will try resetting it again but this is extremely annoying.  Are you going to be able to solve this problem once and for all, or is this going to keep repeating every week or so?

Mr_Onion

Please note it is not a problem CAUSED BY your SONY machine, but rather a problem that the EPG CAUSES TO SONY machines

If you are on the Winter Hill transmitter, then re running the initial set up now should fix it.

pewrigh38

@ alicia

every time there is a fault on the freeview system, of any kind , your recorder will suffer because of it. this has nothing to do with sony although they have helped us to resolve the issues by contacting the relevant people who deal with the freeview system, in this case those responsible for the epg data transmissions

NOBODY can guarantee that you will not receive problems in the future , all sony can do is put out the fires once they are lit, fire prevention may be beyond their remit , although it may well be that they may issue a firmware update in the future to counteract the epg problems we have seen recently

I have no idea why you or anyone else is blaming sony here , I too have suffered twice due to the epg data corruption and had more recorders affected than you have, yet I do not hold sony to blame, especially as they havent done anything at all, they certainly did not cause the 2 recent faults on the network !

hopefully now that sony are having talks with the relevant uk authorities we may get things sorted out to all our satisfaction, so they should be commended on helping us, not vilified for something they have no control over

Aurorafel

I too blamed Sony the first time this happened but quickly came to realise that it was not their fault.  We all owe Sony a thank you because, in my opinion, without their help, we would be whispering in the wind.  Mine is still working fine, but about 3 months ago Winterhill transmitter sent my machine bonkers because they were doing something with 4G.  We kept getting messages prior to the 4G switch on, that on a date that I cannot recall, we would have to reset our boxes, I think that since then but never before I have had these problems, could it be connected?  I rang Sony the day 4G caused my failure, they knew nothing of it but the guy was so lovely, and helped me sort it out.  So to me Sony, a big virtual hug, seems you really do get what you pay for.