Join now - be part of our community!

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

Chaudax
Explorer

Sony STR DN 1040 HDMI passthrough function not working

I bought a STR DN1040 AV receiver on 29/12 and the HDMI pass through function is not working. I have control for HDMI set to ON and pass through Auto. There is no ON option only Off or auto! When I switch the receiver off the picture and sound from the TV comes through but after 20 secs there is a clicking noise from the receiver and the screen goes blank and also no sound. I called Sony and reset the receiver but still the same problem. I called back Sony and they said return the amp and get a new one. I did this but I still have exactly the same problem with the new receiver. I have checked and even changed the HDMI cables and changed the TV but the problem is still there. I have the latest firmware after an update. I am now seriously thinking of returning the amp and getting my money back. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?. Thanks
128 REPLIES 128
profile.country.GB.title
play_spider

Recently purchased this Receiver. Horror of horror found it would not do the 'pass through' trick. No **** sherlock, you might say.

Sky HD Box plugged into SAT/CATV input and my Panasonic TH-42PZ70B Plasma TV connected to HDMI 'OUT A' connectionas per manual. Control for HDMI = On, Pass Through = On.

Sure enough, after 30 secs or so, the receiver shut the picture down. Tried everything, swapped cables inputs and outputs on both the receiver and the TV - no change. Looked on the community and was dismayed to find that this seemed to be a big problem for a lot of people.

This receiver has replaced an Onkyo unit which passed through first time, everytime. Onkyo was only replaced due to need to upgrade to ace reviews about the Sony, plus it had the extras I wanted - WiFi etc.

Now the result - GOOD NEWS.

The plasma is not new, but it is a Vierra model. As a last resort I turned the Vierra Link on (essentially only required if you want to connect to other Panasonic kit). Bingo - the Sony stayed on after the dreaded 30sec timeout!

Don't know if others have tried this, but believe me, mine would not work until the link was turned on.

Other TV makes might have a different form of link, but basically it's an HDMI industry standard link known as HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). I would have thought that most HDMI TV's would provide it.

Sorry this goes on a bit, but I'm amazed that this simple change cured my problem. Same old connectors and connections.

PS - Don't know if the link affects anything else yet - so far, so good. Don't shoot me if it doesn't work for you, but it's worth a try - isn't it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi play_spider

Thank you for your suggestion.  It just may help some of the others and will link another thread to your post.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Does the following suggestion work for any of you:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home-cinema-projectors-players/sony-str-dn1040-hdmi-pass-through-func...

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Play_spider,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post. Yes many people are suffering this issue and not just on the Sony forums. I've read countless reports of this same problem all over the web and suffer the same problems also. For me, whenever I turn just my TV on I have picture and sound output for around 3 seconds before the amp clicks and I lose both picture and sound. When this happens the TV changes from the TV output channel to the HDMI-1 output resulting in a black screen. In order to continue watching TV I have to manually press the TV button again on top of the TV or on the remote.

Like you, my TV is also a Panasonic Viera which is connected to my DN1040 via the HDMI-A Output. Additionally I also have a Panasonic DVD / HDD Recorder connected. For me the fix does not seem so simple. I have used the Viera Link feature from day one on these two devices and so why it works for your TV and not mine I'm puzzled. I am going to try disabling the Viera Link on the DVD / HDD Recorder later today and see if this helps.

I'll report back later....

Slinky

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
play_spider

Thanks Quinnicus

I'm not big into discussion groups, but this issue seemed to be upsetting a lot of people and thought that my particular solution might help someone out there who's about to ditch their equipment in despair.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
play_spider

Hi Slinky, thanks for your comments.

I have to add that even though the viera link appeared to resolve my 'pass through' issue, it did throw up a slight anomaly. The TV is usually turned off with the power button, but on a couple of occasions when turning on from standby mode (Sony still in standby also), the TV was unable to get as signal from the Rx. Instead, the TV led went to steady green and the startup screen showed that it was attempting to find a signal on the HDMI input, but then the steady green changed to flashing and the screen disappeared again. The steady flashing routine then just continued to cycle and wouldn't recover until the TV and the Rx were both turned fully off and on again. I did notice, however, that when the Rx was turned on whilst the TV was cycling, sound was being diverted to the av speakers.

I guess using the TV on/off button is teh answer for now, and much less irritating than the 'pass through' issue.

The fight continues...

Cheers 

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Play_spider,

I'm a little confused by the term Rx.., are you referring to the DN1040 receiver unit?

Like you I always turn the TV off with the button, I hate standby on TV's and never use it. On my Viera if you do place the TV in standby you cannot wake it with the AV button, you must select a programme (numbered button). The green LED will flash momentarily and then once the channel is displayed on screen the LED changes to steady green. I don't know if this is what you are trying to describe?

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
play_spider

Hi Slinky

Yes, Rx is the DN1040 receiver. Sorry about the slang, old habits and all that.

If on standby, we normally wake up the Viera via the SKY remote using the TV, On/Off, SKY button sequence as we rarely need to use the TV remote at all.

Update on the Pass Through saga - Mrs turned the TV on from cold today and the picture wouldn't come up. She eventually got there by trial and error with the power buttons. We're still learning!

You're situation is obviously different with Panasonic recorder connected. I've only got the Sky box and a PS3 connected. 

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Play_spider,

Thanks for the explanation of Rx.., I thought I was quite tech savvy but that one slipped by me, LOL!!

As an update on my previous, I disabled Viera Link on my DVD / HDD Recorder then turned everything off and just tried turning the TV on again from the power button. Sadly no change here! :((

I think given the number of people this issue affects it's most likely an incompatibility issue between Sony products and other manufacturers equipment. Huh..., so much for CEC being a recognised standard. Some people have said this is by design so that customers go and buy a Sony TV but I will not be doing that myself any time soon. Ironically I chose my Panasonic Viera over the equivalent Sony product because every Sony TV I looked at on demo had a black line running through the centre of the screen which looked like a riffle scope cross-hair wire.

A friend of mine has just bought the DN1040 after seeing mine and he has an LG Plasma TV, annoyingly this issue does not affect his TV.

profile.country.GB.title
play_spider

Hi Slinky

Yes, incompatibility between products and of course they all want you to stick with their brand. So I guess we'll keep trying this and that and keep looking out for any new info that comes along.

I'm not parting with my Viera until it fails badly, it's still a quality picture.

Thanks for the banter Slinky