Join now - be part of our community!

Sony SVR HDT500

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jackierichards
Visitor

Sony SVR HDT500

Hi

Just purchased this a couple of days ago. Was previously using a DVD recorder to record anything on my Freeview TV. Have always had a good signal for Digital but now I have a problem with playing back anything I record on the SVR HDT500. The signal is still good when I just watch TV it is only when I watch back a recording. The picture is shaky and jerking, it sticks and flicks from the picture of the programme to a blue screen saying no signal then flicks back to the programme again, this can happen up to 10 times in a half hour show !

I'm totally at a loss as to whats causing this, obviously it can't be the signal as it only happens on recordings. Please can anyone help ?

70 REPLIES 70
profile.country.GB.title
mb1357
Explorer

I have had a new box (replacement) for a couple of weeks now and everything appears fine

josparr51
Visitor

Would it be a similar problem that causes my HDT500 to lose it's time setting occasionally. I have the time set to "auto" - I'm in the UK - and a couple of times scheduled recordings haven't recorded. When I check I find that the system time is showing much earlier than it actually is so the HDT500 thinks it isn't time to start recording yet.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

on similar devices (HXD recorder) sometimes it depends on the channel information the DT decoder is set on. If they feed wrong information you may have that effect. Be sure you leave your HDT500 set on a good national channel before putting it on stand by.

josparr51
Visitor

Thanks I'll try that. I didn't realise it made a difference which channel it was last tuned to.

josparr51
Visitor

Have now tried leaving it on BBC1 in standby and it didn't work. In fact I think it lost the time setting while turned on but I'm not 100% sure about that. Have now set time to GMT + 1 and I'll have to remember to set it back to GMT in the autumn when we come off this ridiculous summertime and go back to GMT.

Message was edited by: josparr51

Message was edited by: josparr51

josparr51
Visitor

My HDT500 is still losing it's time setting occasionally. I have tried leaving it on a "main" channel onstandby and also tried setting the time to GMT + 1 instead of auto. Any suggestions?

profile.country.GB.title
gordlow
Explorer

Sony has a software update scheduled for SVR-HDT500 / SVR-HDT1000. The software will be updated to version 4.21.r8585 and will be available from Fri 29-07-2011 10am to Mon 01-08-2011 9am. It will be sent via the HD multiplex.

Unusually this software update isn't available to download from the Sony website yet so, perhaps, it is still under development and may not be finalised. In the past some software downloads have had to be postponed at the last moment if the software wasn't ready in time.

Would be nice to know what this software update will change/fix.

Keep an eye on the updates at http://www.dtg.org.uk/industry/download_schedule.php

Message was edited by: gordlow

Message was edited by: gordlow

profile.country.GB.title
gordlow
Explorer

I have now updated my box and the system software jumped from 4.10 to 4.21. It took just over 21 minutes to download and then installed very quickly thereafter.
Sony have now posted details of the update:
- Solves the issue of the Recorder’s continued rebooting caused by OAD signals for other devices.
- Addition of Video data file playback feature. (For details about the "Playable types of files" please refer to the page 43 of the Operating Instructions).
- Multi channel audio is output via HDMI (as a result, sound will also be output in the following trick play modes: fast forward X2 and X4, and in slow forward).
- Software stability improvement.
Sadly no manual recording mode made it into this update but I suppose I can keep hoping...
Good to see it's being updated, though.
The software update can be downloaded from
profile.country.GB.title
revneil
New

I followed the links, downloaded the update (took me about 1 minute to get it) followed the instructions and appllied.

The Update went VERY smoothly.

Since, the machine seems to have been working fine.

However, I may have other issues and will create a new item.

profile.country.GB.title
Simon23
Explorer

Thankfully, the update seems to have fixed all my issues.

I'm glad to have the audio on x2 but it's not as useful as x1.3 on my Sony RDR-HXD860. I can't see the point of audio on x4. I wish there was some auto chaptering to jump through large chunks of a recording rather than always jumping to the end.