Join now - be part of our community!

Sony SVR HDT500

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jackierichards
Visitor

Sony SVR HDT500

Hi

Just purchased this a couple of days ago. Was previously using a DVD recorder to record anything on my Freeview TV. Have always had a good signal for Digital but now I have a problem with playing back anything I record on the SVR HDT500. The signal is still good when I just watch TV it is only when I watch back a recording. The picture is shaky and jerking, it sticks and flicks from the picture of the programme to a blue screen saying no signal then flicks back to the programme again, this can happen up to 10 times in a half hour show !

I'm totally at a loss as to whats causing this, obviously it can't be the signal as it only happens on recordings. Please can anyone help ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
gordlow
Explorer

I have now updated my box and the system software jumped from 4.10 to 4.21. It took just over 21 minutes to download and then installed very quickly thereafter.
Sony have now posted details of the update:
- Solves the issue of the Recorder’s continued rebooting caused by OAD signals for other devices.
- Addition of Video data file playback feature. (For details about the "Playable types of files" please refer to the page 43 of the Operating Instructions).
- Multi channel audio is output via HDMI (as a result, sound will also be output in the following trick play modes: fast forward X2 and X4, and in slow forward).
- Software stability improvement.
Sadly no manual recording mode made it into this update but I suppose I can keep hoping...
Good to see it's being updated, though.
The software update can be downloaded from

View solution in original post

70 REPLIES 70
Phild22
Visitor

I have owned a SVR HDT500 for a few months now and have not encountered your problem at all, that is until Tuesday 5th July. Since then I have been encountering the problems you describe, which makes me wonder whether Sony have sent out an automatic and bad update.,

By a process of trial and error, I have discovered that my problem is not a fault with the recording, but with the playback of recorded programmes. Although I find Sony Operating Instructions only slightly better than useless, it did remind me of the reset button that is available under the small flap on the front right hand side of the machine. Pressing this for 3 seconds, whilst I am not recording anything, seems to resolve the problem and I can watch the recorded programmes without any of the hesitation or screen blacking out.

The above is not a permanent solution as I have to do the reset every evening, but have not a chance to contact my local Sony Centre store from where the box was purchased.. 

roger97
New

I'm also experiencing the same problems. I've had my HDT500 for 3 months and as from last weekend (3rd July), new recordings stutter on playback. I also get a blank screen every few minutes during playback which looks like the HDT500 is dropping the HDMI signal intermittently.

I have Software Updates switched on so I am wondering whether there has been a unadvertised Software Update in the last week?   Can anyone at Sony confirm or deny this?

Looks like I'll be reverting to my trusty HXD870 until this problem is resolved.

profile.country.GB.title
mb1357
Explorer

Same issue here; mine has gone back to Laskys for a replacement. Images are jerky on HD , including recorded  material. The box was also trying to reboot when in standby which could be caused by some OTA software issues. There was apparently no updates for this machine but were for Sony TVs in the last few days OTA

Will probably effect all machines so Sony need to sort the issue. The online forums are full of similar experiences all of which happened this week and the problems arent likely to go away

Sony-Tech
Explorer

Thank you taking the time to post on the Sony forum.

We are currently investigating the issues that have been affecting the SVR-HDT500 and 1000.

I will update this thread when I have the results of the investigation.

Symptom 1

In the morning the SVR it is not possible to power on the PVR.
The SVR will be switching the front light on for 15 seconds and then off for 30 seconds.
Noise (clicking) may be heard from the PVR as the Hard drive powers up and down.

Current advice

Press the front reset button, Button is recessed and located next to the front USB socket

Symptom 2

During playback picture blanks for a few moments.
Picture and sound out of sync.
Picture breaks up and blanks out.

Current advice

Carry out "repair disk"
Press "System menu", then select "others". Down to "disk" then "repair disk"

This will not lose your recordings,

profile.country.GB.title
revneil
New

Only bought the machine yesterday.

Seemed OK last night.

However today when I tried playing back two seperate recodings (films) recorede last night noticed the jejkiness and what I can only describe as dropped frames.  It was annoying and distracting to say the least.

So deleteted the recordings and just tried simple stuff.

On BBC HD tried simple timeshift.  Firstly the 'jerkiness' became apparent.  After a very short time the timeshift playback semed to stop - picture blanked out - and then I was reverted to the native programme.

Also I have received two instances of the TV (new 40HX803) popping up a message along the lines of 'Unsupported HDMI signal'.

Have checked signal strength - 89% on BBC HD  (I am in London area).

Have now done the disc repair - so far so good, but will report back.

Current Software version is

4.10.r7993

Type: b

ID: 2322825

Or... have I got a dodgy machine?

jackierichards
Visitor

I have both of the problems which you have mentioned and after following your advice it has worked, but is extremely irritating and time wasting to have to do this every day. How long do you think it will be before you have a solution to the problems. I only purchased the machine on Monday 4th July and am beginning to wish I had selected a different one now.

I also have a third problem whereby everytime I switch it on I have duplicate channels for BBC 1, BBC 2 BBC3 etc, only the BBC channels so I am also having to do a rescan every day to sort it out, again not ideal. I know that other owners also have this problem and have yet to get a solution from you.

jackierichards
Visitor

Hi

There is a solution to the problems we've been having but it is something that you need to do every day until Sony have sorted it out. They are aware of the problem and have posted instructions on what to do everytime you switch the machine on.

See their post on the thread just before your post, i've tried it and it does work, however very annoying that it has to be done every day until they find a permanent solution.

I originally only had the problem with playback but now am experiencing the first issue that they have addressed, aswell as a third issue with duplicate channels which I have just notified them about.

Hope this helps 

TJMurphy66
Visitor

Sorry, need to correct previous message - all recordings are still there, after the repair the title list opened on a different folder. When I went into the HDD folder they were all there.

Have had both symptoms for a couple of days now and got here from Google. When I did the Repair disk option I lost all of my recordings so I think your instructions should be updated. Can't tell if the repair helped because I have nothing to watch!  Not very impressed I can tell you.

Message was edited by: TJMurphy66

Message was edited by: TJMurphy66

profile.country.GB.title
Judgement
New

"I also have a third problem whereby everytime I switch it on I have duplicate channels for BBC 1, BBC 2 BBC3 etc, only the BBC channels so I am also having to do a rescan every day to sort it out, again not ideal. I know that other owners also have this problem and have yet to get a solution from you."

Has anyone tried turning off  AUTO Service Update ?

(Page 36)