Join now - be part of our community!

Sony UBP-X800 issues with a Super Audio CD

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

Sony UBP-X800 issues with a Super Audio CD

A new SACD that I bought plays back in complete silence. No music.IMG20211025215958.jpg

This is the display.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

SACD digital output either in DSD or converted into PCM are very restricted by a copy protection signal. Only AV receivers has the chip to allow the sound to pass by. If I'm not wrong also a few TV also has it. 

But that's why you can't hear anythign from your disc if you're using a TV or even a soundbar.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

2 options.

Change the sound output from auto to pcm and it should decode to pcm from your SACD.

Change your hdmi cable port on the back to the AUDIO port and it should play DSD then correctly.

profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

Thank you for this.

I will try it this evening.

profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

Sadly, both options failed.

Option 2 produced the result seen in the photo.IMG20211026203038.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

That is a shame, I'll keep looking for possible solutions in AV groups.

profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

Greatly appreciated.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Blumine1818 

Are you using an HDMI connection from OUT 1 (Video/Audio), with no Bluetooth device also connected, and with the settings:-

[Audio Settings]

[Digital Audio Output]
[Auto]: Normally select this. Outputs audio signals according to the status of the connected devices.

DSD Output Mode]
[Auto]: Outputs DSD signal from HDMI OUT jack when playing Super Audio CD & DSD format file (if the connected device also supports DSD).
Outputs LPCM signal from HDMI OUT jack when playing Super Audio CD & DSD format file (if the connected device does not support DSD).

[Music Settings]

[Super Audio CD Playback Layer]

[Super Audio CD]: Plays the Super Audio CD layer.
[CD]: Plays the CD layer.

[Super Audio CD Playback Channels]

[DSD 2ch]: Plays the 2ch area.
[DSD Multi]: Plays the multi-channel area

[Off]: Outputs PCM signals from HDMI OUT jack when playing Super Audio CD and DSD format file.

[HDMI Audio Output]
[Auto]: Outputs audio signal via HDMI OUT 2 jack if it is connected to a device and the device is turned on. Otherwise, outputs audio signal via HDMI OUT 1 jack.
[HDMI1]: Outputs audio signal via HDMI OUT 1 jack.
[HDMI2]: Outputs audio signal via HDMI OUT 2 jack.

I suspect this last setting may be key; make sure the audio is going with the video to the TV, at least as a test, and not to an AV receiver that is switched on, but not playing, or which can’t do  DSD.

I can see the merits of trying PCM to at least see if some sound can be detected, but it’s not a fix, as you might as well play an ordinary CD in stereo for the same result, which would make having SACD a bit pointless.

Which might be the case even via the TV, unless the audio is going out DSD to an AV amp over eARC. I get my best audio splitting the output from my 4K player to be video only from the video/audio HDMI to the TV, and the audio via the audio-only HDMI direct to my soundbar.

Though admittedly none of my kit involved in this is Sony kit.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

Thank you very much indeed for this.

I will check all the settings tomorrow morning and give feedback.

My kit:

Sony 55XF9005 TV, UBP X-800 4k player, Sony HT-ZF9 soundbar with rear speakers.

profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

Still no success.

I tried another SACD and that doesn't work either!

Played a standard CD. Fine through the soundbar but sounded distorted and in a different key through the rears.

Will try the HDMI switcheroo later.

profile.country.GB.title
Blumine1818

Tried the HDMI switcheroo.

Played the CD through the soundbar only. No sound whatsoever from the rear speakers.