Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN1080 changes sound field

SOLVED
profile.country.SE.title
ahlis1

STR-DN1080 changes sound field

Just bougt a 1080-amplifier a couple of days ago and set it up with "AFD" as sound field just as I always used on my old STR-DH550. But the 1080 keeps changing to "multi st" every time I change source, for instance changing between BD and set top box I need to go back and change sound field. This is extremly irritating, who wants multi st?

Maybe it's something I miss in the settings? Please help!

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.SE.title
ahlis1

If your tv has Android, disabling sound sync mode in the main sound meny should work, have you tried that? 

profile.country.GB.title
paumajor
Explorer

Hi, I’ve done everything as per all the suggestions including the disabling of sound sync mode. I’ve restarted the TV & AV and success! I now have DOLBY SURR! Yay! 👍😉

Thank you 😊 

profile.country.GB.title
Spiderman439
Explorer

With the DN1080 connected to a XR65X90JU tv I had this same issue and putting the Sony tv into cinema sound mode didn’t resolve it. Once I deactivated “sound sync” on the tv the amp would then keep the correct sound field. 

need Sony to step up and fix this, the whole point of having same manufacturers for equipment is the compatibility and inter working systems, and this one clearly has an issue. 

profile.country.GB.title
Lambsie1
New

It was really doing my head in, I'd tried almost everything, but not that... It solved it immediately!

Thanks

profile.country.US.title
hasbeen

I have a 2022  Sony XR-77A80K TV and a SONY STR ZA1100ES 7.2 CHANNEL AV receiver and had the same problem. When I changed the TV sound settings to CINEMA as suggested the receiver now works as expected thanks to this forum cuz it was driving me crazy too.  

I am experimenting with the  "Sound Mode Sync" feature in the TVs Android system settings but it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference here. When I disable the setting my receiver will momentarily display the Dolby sound field specific to the particular program (like Dolby + etc) and then switch to the AFB (Auto Format Direct mode) icon. When I enable Sound Mode Sync the receiver will momentarily display the Dolby sound field specific to the program and then the display will switch to the "Dolby Surround" icon.

In either setting the surround sound behaviors seem identical so the only difference is which icon the receiver displays in the window.

I will monitor the behavior and report back with anything helpful. Thanks again for the help.

profile.country.US.title
hasbeen

UPDATE: With the  "Sound Mode Sync" feature enabled the display will show what ever the current program is encoded with. Today I was watching the new BATMAN and and the display first shows  a banner reading "DOLBY ATMOS-DOLBY DIGITAL +" and then the icon displays "ATMOS-DD+" I am going to leave "Sound Mode Sync" enabled for now.