Join now - be part of our community!

STRD N1040 - Playback of iPod via front USB Socket - Wierd Happenings!

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

STRD N1040 - Playback of iPod via front USB Socket - Wierd Happenings!

Hi all,

Noob here, just popped in to ask if anyone has encountered this issue before?

When playing back MP3's via my connected iPod they seem to play fine but only for around 40 minutes before stopping! I get the rotating circular arrow on the TV display suggesting some kind of buffering is taking place but the choonz don't resume playing. 😞

Not sure if it helps but most of my choonz are live concert recordings of around 1-2 hours in length (each track).

I was sure I read something about this issue somewhere but cannot find where i read it.

Any help appreciated cheers!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have done a little bit of a search on this issue, as you said you may have read it somewhere.  Unfortunately I cannot find it.

Can I assume that your iPod is supported (as on page 47 of the manual)

Unforunately I don't know much (or anything) about iPod/Pads/phones, so....

I dont suppose that the DN1040 is going into Standby mode when playing back??

Have/Can you test the same MP3's via a USB drive instead of the iPod and see if that works properly?

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hello again buddy!

Thanks for all you input. :wink:

I just had another read through the manual as your question regarding supported devices had me worried. Oh how I wish Sony had given us a hard copy of the manual, it's so frustrating switching my PC on each and every time I want to check something and I refuse to print all 128 pages! I did phone Sony to ask if I could obtain a hard copy of the manual but they say they have adopted a greener strategy by not printing the manuals. Makes you laugh really, the fuel resources used to keep turning a computer on to read a manual must far out way any savings to the environment. At least paper can be recycled!

Anyway, here's the weird thing, until you mentioned supported devices the thought hadn't even crossed my mind, my iPod functions correctly but alas it is not on the supported list. I have an iPod Video 5th Gen which I am using in 'disc mode'.

The problem I mentioned seems directly related to playing long tracks of 1 hour or more. Playing a folder of shorter tracks causes no issues that I have encountered.

Interestingly I also noticed this problem occurs when playing long tracks on the Sony Entertainment Network (SEN), whether this is just coincidental I have no clue. If only I could find that source of info I mentioned previously.

Thanks for the tip about trying the same track via a usb stick, I'll give it a try and report back. My memory stick is not on the supported list either but functions without issues.

One final thing, I mentioned the rotating circular arrow on the TV screen, this also sometimes appears when loading a station using SEN, I'm thinking this might well be a buffering issue, perhaps the DN1040 has limited memory in which case large MP3 files might well cause an issue?!

Oh, and to answer your other question, no my unit is not going into 'standby mode'.

Watch this space for an update...

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Just a quick update...

I've had another look at the manual and on Page 50 it mentions the following:

Manual Page 50.jpg

This might be what I read previously. Hmmm, I will test this theory on my USB stick.

I also noticed just now on page 48 of the manual that it also mentions that an error will be displayed if you connect an unsupported iPod/iPhone device. I'm guessing that as I have received no such message that my device is recognised and supported regardless. Perhaps there are geographical differences with the STRD N1040. I live in the UK and our models do not have Blu-tooth much to many peoples disappointment.

Bye for now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

On the face of it, it does certainly look like a limited memory/buffering issue for larger files.  If this is the case (and as you pointed out in the manual) - there is probably very little you can do about it, short of splitting the MP3's into parts.  Test on a USB drive anyhow - you never know, but as you also said, you are not getting any error messages, so at least its supported - all be it probably un-officially.

On your other point on manuals - this is a bug bear of many as well.  Just exploring and thinking aloud here.  Many companies claim 'environmental' reasons - this can be true along with other reasons like financial. 

Think about the logistics of the Europe market and the many languages involved.  You would either need to provide a heap of manual in other languages in the same box with the device (paper resources and cost factors) - or have a many individual item boxes/devices shipped to each country individually with the corresponding manual - but then you also have people in a country who speak a different language - therefore problem is exponential.

My opinion is that for basic items devices, manual can be online.  For more complicated devices (ie AV Receives) a printed manual is a MUST.  My STR-DH820 came with a printed manual, and I referred to it religiously for a good month or so whilst I 'played' around.

Another option I guess could be - upon registering the device with Sony online, you could maybe tick a tick box to request a printed manual being sent to you??

Anyhow - please post back on how the USB drive went anyhow.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hey Quinnicus,

I've been testing a few long MP3's (typically around 86 mins) on my USB device this evening and I am happy to report that the aforementioned issue does not effect my USB device. :slight_smile:

I have also received a reply (of sorts) from Sony Tech Support about this same issue but somehow I don't think I will have much luck with those guys. It might have been useful if they spoke English to start with, their reply was very poorly worded to say the least. Also they seem oblivious to this issue and not once have they mentioned the wording on Page 50. Ho hum...

Yes I see your point regarding printing manuals in different languages but then that's how it's always been in the past. I'm not disagreeing with you but it does beg the question 'what are their real reasons'? Given the mark-up on these devices you'd be forgiven for expecting some sort of manual in the box.

As you so rightly say.., with something so complex as these devices a manual is an absolute must. I shudder to think how much extra burden this puts on technical support with the increased number of phone calls and emails trying to figure out how to do something. Of course you also have a whole bunch of people with no access to a computer, do Sony simply ignore these people?

I like your option of ticking a box to request a manual but then I guess it goes back to your original comment, they would have to stockpile manuals in every conceivable language. Hmmm.., what a dilemma!

Thanks again for your input, it was very helpful. :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

As an update to this thread, as Sony so rightly pointed out in their email to me, my iPod is not offically supported which may also indicate why this problem is occuring.

If anyone does have a supported iPod device (see list in manual) please let us know if you can playback sinlgle MP3 tracks longer than an hour.

If anyone is interested, my own iPod is an 'iPod 5th Generation Video' which on the face of it does seem to be supported albeit 'unofficially'. I guess Sony didn't test my version due to it's age. Mine still runs on coal!! :laughing: