Join now - be part of our community!

UPDATED ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

UPDATED ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

Hi all,

To avoid having several thread son the same subject I thought I'd try an let you know what I believe has happened so far, please don't shot the messenger after all I am only a user like yourselves & DO NOT WORK FOR SONY..

As you all have noticed Sony do not have technical support on the weekends, one of the 'Experts' noticed several users posting regarding RDR machines either stuck in Update or Digital channels missing and emailed one of our contacts in Sony this morning but as far as I am aware there has not been a reply..

I have also noticed that the newly appointed Community Managers have as also flagged this issue to their dedicated team (see post), unfortunately as it's the weekend I wouldn't expect any information to made available until Monday..

Quinnicus has posted two temporary workarounds that will hopefully allow you to use your RDR's..

For those stuck in Update please click HERE

For those with the No Digital Channels Issue please click HERE

I can imagine that you are frustrated by the lack of official response from Sony but could I ask that rather than creating several threads on the subject you instead just click on Me Too on this thread that will indicate how many users that have visited the forum are affected by the problem..

I am affected by the current RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue & have clicked on Me Too

UPDATE:

Hopefully the EPG is on your Sony RDR devices should now be back to normal..

I would like to thank all the Community forum members who helped in assisting others through this problem..:smileythumbsup:

167 REPLIES 167
Paintit
New

I have set up again but still the guide does not work everything else seems ok

pewrigh38

make sure you are using digital epg and not the default guideplus in the basic setup menu

Sorello
New

I don't know if Sony corrected the problem THEY caused with a bad update, but I held down the Power button for about 12 seconds.  The machine went to standby and then it rebooted itself while I was still holding down the Power button.  I then released the button.

It stayed with the same message "UPDATE" but I waited to allow any possible proper update to work and it did!

Whether Sony fixed their faulty EPG firmware update or I did the right thing, I don't know, but its working as before, with all my settings and timer recordings.

One thing: I went into Options in the System menu, and disabled Auto Update so Sony can't do this to me again.

Mr_Onion

Sorello, please note that SONY do not produce the EPG update, it is made by a 3rd party

pewrigh38

it CAN happen again

all it takes is for the third party epg provider (which isnt sony) to mess up their epg data and you would have similar problems again

and if your local transmitter failed for some reason you would have no freeview channels, or if their was a network failure on the freeview distribution system

sony have no control over any of these scenarios, nor your mains power either

the update you have turned off wont stop the above problems from happening again, and if they did you recorder would still suffer or fail

bad information is worse then none at all, hence my reply

the people to blame are those that caused the problem in the first place, which is digital_uk or arqiva or somebody paid to keep the epg data working properly , not sony

its worth noting that pioneer and vestel products also had problems, not just sony, but the sony ones were the most widely reported problem , possibly beacuse they have a larger user base

just thought you should be made aware of the real issues here

that doesnt mean to say that maybe sony need to issue a new firmware update that minimises and further disruptions if the epg data was to become corrupted again (if the fault reoccurs)

if that same fault did reoccur, we would all have the same troubles yet again

Mr_Onion

Exactly so

I have seen a few comments defending Sony, but loss of the Digital Guide is no reason to also lose output from the digital tuner. - other tuners and guides were okay.

I can understand that the blame may not fully be with Sony but even if the digital guide goes a bit wonky if it is not transmitted correctly - this is no reason to lose the digital tuner and produce a blank screen. Is It?

Many other digital tuners did not suffer this problem - so obviosuly the Sony units are susceptible to a problem that many other units are not. This is somthing that does need fixing by Sony now that it is a known issue.

I am not blaming Sony but I do expect them to remove the possibility of the problem happening again.

Also - reading about the problem and seeing what was said on the forums was more fun than watching the TV anyway.

I wish the Sony team all the best in making the unit more robust - or maybe offering a massive discount on a new improved model :wink:

pewrigh38

it may be that the pioneer firmware made for sony should have held up better yes, I think so too

but other tuners WERE affected, some pioneer recorders for one, and some vestel made pvr`s for another, so not just sony

I hope they do issue a firmware update to try to minimise any disruption should it happen again, but they can only do so much and really we need the people who send out the data to check it is correct, not go home for the weekend with a job incorrectly done

jedi98

All, FYI, my auto update was already off and I already had the latest v1.70 installed and it still went haywire.  The firmware (shared between sony and some other mfgs) has a latent fault making it intollerent to certain EPG broadcast data and destablising the whole unit. This needs to be fixed. It's not an overnight job, it is going to take the guys a little time to identify / fix & release.

Actually, looking at it I think there are probably two bugs, or at least one doozy and some real bad timing.

Mud slinging will not make it go faster!

That, said, if they do not fix in a reasonable time or it starts happening again then it will be time to get the mud airborn. :wink: