Join now - be part of our community!

UPDATED ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

UPDATED ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

Hi all,

To avoid having several thread son the same subject I thought I'd try an let you know what I believe has happened so far, please don't shot the messenger after all I am only a user like yourselves & DO NOT WORK FOR SONY..

As you all have noticed Sony do not have technical support on the weekends, one of the 'Experts' noticed several users posting regarding RDR machines either stuck in Update or Digital channels missing and emailed one of our contacts in Sony this morning but as far as I am aware there has not been a reply..

I have also noticed that the newly appointed Community Managers have as also flagged this issue to their dedicated team (see post), unfortunately as it's the weekend I wouldn't expect any information to made available until Monday..

Quinnicus has posted two temporary workarounds that will hopefully allow you to use your RDR's..

For those stuck in Update please click HERE

For those with the No Digital Channels Issue please click HERE

I can imagine that you are frustrated by the lack of official response from Sony but could I ask that rather than creating several threads on the subject you instead just click on Me Too on this thread that will indicate how many users that have visited the forum are affected by the problem..

I am affected by the current RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue & have clicked on Me Too

UPDATE:

Hopefully the EPG is on your Sony RDR devices should now be back to normal..

I would like to thank all the Community forum members who helped in assisting others through this problem..:smileythumbsup:

167 REPLIES 167
fordyretired
Explorer

Our machine was corrected automatically on Mon 22nd July & worked consistently on all channels until Wed 30th July when the problem reoccured.

Help!!!!

pewrigh38

its tuesday 30th july today m8, otherwise you are correct, its been ok since they fixed the epg data corruption 10 days ago

I think this may be regional and affecting North West. If the people working on the problem follow these threads then I can state that I am in Manchester. The problem reoccurred between 10:25 and 10:30am on Tues 30-Jul-2013 as it was OK until the adverts came on after The Wright Stuff newspaper reviews ad break and by the time my coffee was ready 5 minutes later.

If they are testing an EPG change then it makes sense to try a region.

Is there a government department that regulates these change as no one else wants to take responsibility?

Going back to Newcastle-upon-Tyne on Thursday. I will be rescanning the recorder and hoping for the best but I hope it is fixed before then.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

UPDATE:

Have had a reply..

I have been assured that the EPG issue of the 19/7/13 has not happened again.

These machines show “update” when they are first switched on. This varies in time depending on the amount of EPG information they need to update. If anyones is stuck in update power cycle it should fix it.

Can anyone confirm if this helps.?

pewrigh38

no it doesnt help , sorry

my machines are stuck in update mode unless I reboot them and change the location to france, in which case they work fine but no digital epg (same as before)

it seems that only owners on the WINTER HILL transmitter are affected this time, so the granada region

a factory reset does not fix it

changing to guideplus does not fix it

my firmware is up to date on all my recorders ( v1.70 )

only changing the location to FRANCE or BELGIUM fixes it (but with no epg)

hope that helps

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks for info have passed back that power cycle has no effect..:smileythumbsup:

Aurorafel

Sorry for all these messages, but I disagree that it has not happened again, because it has!  How do I know?  Because the problem is identical, no digital channels, no amount of factory resets, inital installs, UK, France etc will work.  Save recorded programmes work fine, DVD's work well, so machine not broken.  Unfair of the people to send out faulty updates which crash our not so cheap machines. If it is Granada regional updates at fault then they should be made to fix them.  Some of us work evenings therefore look forward to out recorded programmes, now missing them again.

Same problem here and I'm in Manchester region too.  Problem of update on Sunday 21 July which seemed to correct itself during the day but just happened again this evening Tuesday 30 July.  Come on Sony, please get this sorted!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im wondering why only Winter Hill is effected.

Could it be that Winter Hill serves the additional manchester only channels on its own multiplex? 

The faulty EPG update sent to all transmitters on July 19th, was fixed.  But the update did not apply to the Manchester mux on the Winter Hill transmitter - of which it was implemented today - with the dodgey part and without the fix.

Just thinking aloud here

Any conspiracy theorists here? :wink:

pewrigh38

its definitely a strange fault, I grant you that

I have 4 recorders affected, all on v1.70 firmware, also in my close circle I have more than a dozen HXD recorders affected in the manchester area, at half a dozen different locations, all served by the WINTER HILL transmitter, all stuck in update mode from yesterday morning ( these are all x70 and x90/x95 models)

a power cycle DOES NOT fix the problem, neither does a factory reset or using either of the 2 epg guides

the boix will lock up , freeze , stick in update mode, picture comes on for 20 seconds then goes off, epg wont populate or is corrupt, impossible to use it once it fails, you have to power it off with the mains power button once more

using easy setup , and selecting ENGLISH - AUTO SCAN - FRANCE (or belgium) does fix the problem although you dont get an epg and you have to channel hop to get a picture on screen when you power up. the box can then be used normally and the timer functions work if you set manual timers (due to not having epg timer options)

so you can "get around" the problem, for now

I have a case reference number from sony support, they have my number if they need any testing doing, and I sent them an email via the "contact us" button on this site

I appreciate that sont did not create this problem, but they need to come up with a new firmware that allows us to use our machines when problems like this occur

I have a sony lcd 40w5500 tv that isnt affected, an older sony crt freeview tv that isnt affected, and a toshiba lcd freeview tv that isnt affected, their epg systems are working fine, and the crt tv is about 9 years old

it would also help if we had contact numbers for whoever maintains the epg data network, or freeview network, so that the fault could be reported to the proper business, so is it arqiva ? or digital_uk ? or a third party ? or do we complain to OFCOM about it ? somebody needs to take responsibility for this (we havent even had a proper explanation for the previous failure). it also helps that SONY is a big company and has more "clout" than we do, so I hope their tech support can figure this out as its becoming commonplace and yet in the previous 5 years or more its never happened, and there is no way more than 12 or a hundred or more recorders are all faulty at the same time on the same day !

I hope they call me back today like they promised

thank you