Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia M4 stuck in reboot loop, even after a full factory reset. Help!

SOLVED
mistergookey
Visitor

Xperia M4 stuck in reboot loop, even after a full factory reset. Help!

Over the last couple months I've been having a whole bunch of problems with my Sony Xperia M4. I'm going to try and be as detailed as possible, so I apologise in advance for the length!

It started with the phone randomly restarting itself for no apparent reason, this would tend to happen about once a week although it would sometimes not happen for a few weeks. After restarting the phone would act as normal with no problems until the next restart.

Sometimes I would be forced to restart my phone to fix a problem such as no characters showing after typing (keyboard acting as normal, just no characters appearing in search bar, URL bar, etc.) or video recording only recording audio and a black screen.

Then more recently my WiFi connection started acting odd. WiFi would be on and the status icon on the notification bar would be full (and show the upload arrow) but any attempt at using anything that needed an internet connection would result in being told I had no internet connection. When trying to reconnect, the list of routers would be blank despite the fact that my router and a number of neighbours routers should be showing. Sometimes the list would not be blank but would show routers connected to in the past rather than nearby routers. Either way, I could not connect to anything.

For a little while I could fix this by restarting but the time it took for the the problem to crop up again got shorter and shorter until the phone would boot up with this problem.

Now onto the current problem. I restarted my phone this morning because I couldn't input the unlock pattern (touchscreen was accepting a swipe as individual touches) with the hope that it would restart and allow me to use the touchscreen properly but it just keeps on restarting. Usually it will only go as far as the black screen with SONY XPERIA, the screen will then go black for a second and start over. Sometimes it will go as far as the blue waves but it soon freezes and restarts again.

I have tried the following to fix the problem. 

Turn off, remove SD card and turn on. Nothing different happens.

Turn off, remove SIM card and turn on. Nothing different happens.

Turn off, remove both and turn on. Nothing different happens. 

Pressing and holding volume down and power button to enter recovery mode. The screen goes black and the phone vibrates almost immediately. All it seems to do is turn the phone off.

Installed the PC Companion exe, connected the phone both with the power off and the power on (in reboot loop). With power off, the phone begins charging. Laptop makes "new USB connection" sound and the PC Companion starts trying to connect but can't detect a phone. With power on, all of the above happens except it starts to connect but stops when the phone reboots.

I managed to reset to factory settings a few hours ago and had a little while with a fully working, fully reset phone but it still decides to go into small reboot loops seemingly at random.

Am I correct in thinking this is a problem with the phone itself rather than conflict with any apps or SD/SIM card problem. This is my second Xperia M4 in six months after my first experienced similar problems.

17 REPLIES 17
ZahoorGojri
Visitor

I was suffering with same problem but after watching this video it helped me

https://youtu.be/iQ2bkyx8FeU

Urielalejo
Visitor

Thank now staring normal 

Visitor

I have the same problem about the Sony M4 it freezes and I have taken it twice to the service provider but the problem keeps coming back, not sure what to do anymore 

SWK1
Visitor

I confirm the symptoms and solutions.

profile.country.GB.title
crashuk1
Explorer

This  is what happened to my phone and I was told the same things uneconomical to repair please pay xxx.

pkgkirori
Visitor

this is unbeleivable ..this worked ....thanks dude..

mimi1216
Visitor

I had the same as mistergookey.

I solved it: I bought another smartphone, NOT FROM SONY. 

peztata
Visitor

сега ми се случва същото с моя телефон!:Ридание: и нищо не помага както при този клиент!

now it's the same with my phone!: Wailing: And nothing helps with this client!

gt