Join now - be part of our community!

My battery gauge is tricking me?

SkyEx
Visitor

My battery gauge is tricking me?

Okay, here's the thing. I bought my Xperia ion about 3 months ago, and so far it has been great; except for one thing. It happened a few times before, and I let it go, but I'm not having any of it anymore. The phone gives me a low battery notification at around 43-41% of battery or a little less.

The first time it happened, I thought the battery was actually drained. I put the phone on charge, but then the battery precentage it shows on the top corner of the lock screen was 40%. It happened again but I was on a trip on top of a mountain. So basically, I couldn't take photos for the second half of the trip, and so many memories would've been lost if it weren't for my friend's Note II.

After that one time, I suppose the battery was actually completely drained during the time spent from when it shut off till I went home. The phone stopped doing it for a while after that, and I remember one time it reached 12% without giving me the 0% battery notification. But two days ago, it happened again. Also, just now, it almost shut down at 43% and now I put it on charge.

I love Sony's phones and I always have. This one has been really amazing so far, the camera, the screen, the sound, everything is pure quality, but I'd love for them to last a bit longer. I really hope someone could help.

Thank you.

84 REPLIES 84
Kosmonaut
Visitor

Hello, I've having the same problem with my Xperia Z1 compact, when the battery is around 60-50 % it shuts down, and I have to charge it to use it again, sometimes it shows me different percentages when doing this, and sometimes it charges very fast, from 70% to 100% in less than half hour. I tried doing the force shut down today and the phone seemed to be working fine during the day, until it reached 58%, when it turned off again. Should I try doing another forced shutdown? Or is it a hardware problem? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

tashikoma
Visitor

Hello.

I'm facing the issue of abnormal battery % / sudden shutdowns.

I've followed this steps unsucessfully :

On Xperias with built in / embedded battery

The way to force shutdown varies with phone. To find the correct way go to Support > select your phone > Select "User Guide" > From the contents given on the left side, select "Support and maintenance" and then  choose "restarting and resetting"

However on most phones, it's done by 

Press and hold the "Power" button and "Volume Up" button at the same time for
5 Seconds > Forced Restart ( One Vibration )
10 Seconds > Forced Shutdown ( Three Vibrations )

Note the battery %. Force shutdown your phone by following the method above.

Now switch it on and observe the battery %. See if there's any significant drop in % ( 5+ % or more ). Then most probably the problem has been solved.

If any of the above didn't help then >

Update / Repair your phone via PC Companion

What can i do now ???

Please help.

Sai48
Visitor

I too faced the same situation and did what u said in the thread but my phone's charge didn't decrease by 1% also now is my problem fixed or not
BUTTON007
Visitor

Good day. Having problem with Xperia m4 aqua.
Updated software now phone extremely slow, throw me off emails, camera etc take long to open... Did factory reset etc, still slow. Any ideas?????
Thanks
coolot
Visitor

hi! I'm having a problem with my xperia z1 compact, the phone suddenly shuts down even when the battery is still at 85%. I've tried the solutions that you've given but still it doesn't work. Any other way on how to resolve this? Thanks!

Greyspacefox
Visitor

Hi, I've been having battery issues for close to a week now. I'll freely admit that these issues might be caused by me leaving the phone plugged in way after it reached 100, but surely there must be a way to salvage it?

My battery drops insanely quickly, which makes me have to turn on the battery saver in order to be able to use my smartphone like a proper smartphone. Also, whenever it reaches a certain charge, which varies from day to day from anything between at ~30% to ~80%, it will completely shut down, and when I plug it in to charge it, it's always on 0%. So something is making it go from 80% to 0% in milliseconds.

I'll try to attach some screenshots from my phone which is charging yet again..Screenshot_2016-08-29-04-29-51.pngScreenshot_2016-08-29-04-29-51.png

Ian1629
Visitor

I have the same problem, tried the repair from my pc and a factory reset, same problem occurs every time, suddern exstream  battery drain.

when i hit the little red button next to the memory card it resets the battery back to the % before it crashed but unfortunatly it does not last.

There have been reports on this issue over the last couple of years but I have not yet seen a fix that resolves this issue.

please please some one help

gingerjensie
Visitor

My much loved Z1C has been struggling along with exactly the same issue (60%-80% dropping to 0% instantly) for a few weeks now. I've tried the red button reset; cycled through the "hard" shutdown (power button and volume up); repaired it using the PC companion; and even replaced the battery (and tried all of the above after that again!)... Still, the exact same problem remains.

I've got no battery/application management apps installed and am running 5.1.1 (build 14.6.A.1.236). If anyone is able to suggest where I go from here (apart from to the samsung shop....) I'd be very gratefull.

Cheers!

PedroB
Visitor

I've been having those problems as well. Out of nowhere my phone just started shutting down with a random %. First thing I realized is that this problem started after using Pokemon Go (Can't say it's related, but the app did heat up the phone A LOT and drained battery like a sponge). Still, if I recharge my phone and barely use it, the battery will drain normally. But whenever I use high memory/CPU usage apps (like snapchat, Skype, etc. WhatsApp works perfectly. Google Chrome would sometimes crash the phone as well), the phone would turn off within seconds after opening those apps. And every time I try to turn it on again, the phone says that it has no battery, although after putting it on the socket, it would turn on again with a random % (that is, after 10 minutes, waiting for the Android to "optimize the 190 apps"). Now the phone is constantly lagging and often shuts down.

So, I still don't believe that this is a battery related problem, but something to do with the software. The issue is that I already reseted my phone twice with the PC Companion and still got nothing. I'm almost throwing my phone on the wall and this is less than 2 years old.

Jk21
Visitor

Hello! I tried what you said and it worked fine.I just wanted to ask though if it is safe to enable the Stamina Mode?