Join now - be part of our community!

xperia S does not turn on, red light when charging.

CRMSNGRD
Visitor

xperia S does not turn on, red light when charging.

My phone, after spending a day on a boat, was low on battery (this was 2 hours after leaving on the drive home). It went from 6% battery to shutting down completely in a matter of seconds. I plugged it into my car charger immediately, but it has not turned on since.

Previously i have had problems with the headphone jack not recognising if earphones were plugged in or not, but this usually resolved within a few minutes. On top of this i have once struggled to turn the phone on due to i believe a once off problem with the power button.
Recently the headphone jack has been playing up a lot more than usual, but it never resulted in this.  I have never experienced any other problem with the phone.

PROBLEM: Once it turned off, I have been unable to restart my phone. When charging it shows a dull red light like when charging less than 15% battery. I have charged it now, on and off using multiple different charges for 6 hours, and have left it on its original charger as i write this. The power button plus volume up has no effect. There is no vibrations when i turn on the device. The screen which usually loads something when charging, has not displayed anything since turning off. It does not connect to either an apple or windows computer with a usb cable, volume down key depressed or not. It does not get hot to touch while charging, and i remember according to AVG that the battery quality that day was "good". After 6 hours of charging, the red light is still there(and usually a full charge after 1.3 hours, leaves a green light)

Put simply, the only responce of any kind i get from the phone is a red light when charging.

What have i done? recharged the phone for 6 hours, tried power button, restart button combo, usb connection with both an apple and windows computer, i also put it in rice in case there was any water but did not change anything.

anything changed? after 2 hours of charging on the wall, the red light disapeared... tried the above, nothing happened, unplugged the phone then replugged it in... red light.

I will try to get it repaired shortly along with a broken PS3, but i would rather a solution, as both my work and social life heavily depend on it.

thankyou in advance

27 REPLIES 27
shaneen
Visitor

hi i have the same problem. mine died on xmas day and still no joy. have u had any luck?

Sam
Legend
Legend

If you have given it a good charge and still have no luck, I would advise running a software repair. This can be done with the phone powered off:

1. Download the PC Companion software from http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/pc-companion/
and install it on your PC.
2. Install and open PC Companion then select Support Zone.
3. Phone Software Update.
4. Start.
5. Repair Phone
6. Continue
7. Accept data removal
8. Next
9. Wait for prepare
10. Select Phone
11. Follow the connection steps

Don't forget to mark posts that answers the topic as Accepted Solution. 
If you find any post helpful, press Kudos.
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Before doing what Sam told you,what about charging the phone for 2 hours and force restarting it?(power button+vol up until the phone vibrates).

alexdon
xeroz
Visitor

i have the same problem but i cant use sony pc companion because my computer does not  recognize my cellphone  i cant get in flashmode what can i do?

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Try to use sony update service.
alexdon
xeroz
Visitor

i cant beacuse my computer does not recognizes the phone when i try to get in flashmode just the red led light 

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

Charge the phone for 2 hours,force restart(power button+vol up until the phone vibrates).

alexdon
squidge
Visitor

Had the same problem with an xperia U. Its a software- battery communication problem where the phone runs the battery to less than zero percent whilst thinking it still has 5 percent. (they are meant to keep a small amount of charge to recognise chargers and hold time/date). The only way ive found to solve it is to plug in and unplug the charger a few times, then hold the volume up key whilst turning it on (charger plugged in). It should light up then go to the charging screen.
ntinoV
Visitor

I had the same issue. The only thing that makes the phone to start is to connect it on a pc via usb and leave it connected for several minutes until it boots by itself. You could also try a hardware restart (power+vol.up) a few times while connected just to make sure that there's not a software freeze.