Join now - be part of our community!

3D Surround Sound through optical cable

SOLVED
finnster236
Explorer

3D Surround Sound through optical cable

Hi guys.

Having a bit of a problem with my home cinema set up. I have a new Sony Smart 3D Blu ray player linked to a new KDL-46W905 through my Sony sound system (HT-IS100 about 5 years old) by HDMI.

With this setup in order to watch a 3D film I have to bypass the sound system and plug the HDMI cable direct in to the TV.

The problem is with the sound as the 7.1 audio is only sent to the sound system as 2 ch via a optical cable but the 5.1 works fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Adam
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally like AV Receivers, as it gives greater flexibility in regards to adding additional devices, or replacing said devices on an individual level.  However I dont think your existing speakers and the sub are up to scratch and would need replacing too - going down the AV Receiver route.

Many go down the route of an all-in-one bluray/speaker system - but you already have a bluray player.

Sony do have a 5.2 AV Receiver and Speaker System Package (But I dont know any real details to be honest - I think its either just been released, or about to):

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/sound-bars/ht-dh550ss

Or alternatively its a Soundbar - Which does not match up to a 7.1 Channel System.

Everything really comes down to what you want and what type of budget you are willing to spend :slight_smile:  As said above, the AV Receiver + Speakers would be my first preference.

Thinking about it, on the bluray discs themselves - many have an option to choose with type of audio you want in the "setup" area of the movie - have you tried changing this to say 5.1 DD or something?

Hope this helps.

Cheers

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

This is the limitation of optical cable.  It only supports 5.1 channel and lossy codecs such as dolby digital and DTS.  Optical does not support lossless audio such as DTS HDMA (7.1channel), and therefore will down convert using the DTS core (at 2channel).

Time for a new sound system my friend :slight_smile:

Cheers

finnster236
Explorer

Thanks, oh well. Any recommendations? I would keep the golf ball speakers so only need the system.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally like AV Receivers, as it gives greater flexibility in regards to adding additional devices, or replacing said devices on an individual level.  However I dont think your existing speakers and the sub are up to scratch and would need replacing too - going down the AV Receiver route.

Many go down the route of an all-in-one bluray/speaker system - but you already have a bluray player.

Sony do have a 5.2 AV Receiver and Speaker System Package (But I dont know any real details to be honest - I think its either just been released, or about to):

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/sound-bars/ht-dh550ss

Or alternatively its a Soundbar - Which does not match up to a 7.1 Channel System.

Everything really comes down to what you want and what type of budget you are willing to spend :slight_smile:  As said above, the AV Receiver + Speakers would be my first preference.

Thinking about it, on the bluray discs themselves - many have an option to choose with type of audio you want in the "setup" area of the movie - have you tried changing this to say 5.1 DD or something?

Hope this helps.

Cheers

finnster236
Explorer

Thanks again.

I did try to find an alternative audio but unfortunately the film was only in 7.1.

There is a coaxial digital audio out from the blu ray player and an assignable socket in the sound system. I tried this with a basic phono cable which worked but there was a lot of background disturbance. Is this a possible solution with a better quality cable i.e. Gold plated oxygen free?

Cheers

Adam
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The coaxial audio connection has the same limitations of optical im afraid.  Its HDMI for the higher quality lossless audio (and for 7.1) - so a better coaxial cable will not resolve your issue unfortuately.

Its weird that its only a 7.1 audio - one would have thought that there is an option of 5.1 (as thats the most commonly used)

Cheers