Join now - be part of our community!

79X9005B passive 3D motion blur

profile.country.GB.title
samkerracher

79X9005B passive 3D motion blur

Hi all,

I'm finding the 3D on the 79X9005B to be faulty.

Seems there's a lot of motion blur in fast moving scenes.

There's a thread on the U.S. forums about the passive 3D on the X850B having the same issue.

A user (rconn2), has found by having a PC send a 3D image that has been interleaved, and outputted at 4k (basically what the TV does with 3D), that the motion blur doesn't happen at all. This works as the PC is alternating pixel rows between the polarised left and right image so the TV is just displaying a 4k image and doesn't need to do any 3D processing itself.

Can Sony address this please?

Support are finally offering to send out an engineer, what I don't want is to waste time when they come. Can others with the set post here if they have similar issues.

55 REPLIES 55
profile.country.GB.title
RichGee16
Explorer

Hi,

I gave up in the end, they asked me for my details which I supplied then they emailed me saying if they come out and can't find a fault I will be charged and to try some trouble shooting tips. I then replied saying I had tried everything and they asked me for my details again :angry: I just felt that they didn't want to know.

I'm holding off for a few months until some 2015 TV's come out and I try returning it to Currys.

Hope you get yours sorted.

profile.country.GB.title
samkerracher

Fully understand.

I'd swap myself, but unfortunately bought from Sony directly.  I also noticed the 2015 models are active, and I can't stand active 3D.

I'll try and sort out the repair at a later date.  However, it's a third party doing the repair, so doubt they'll be able to fix it (I reckon they're more geared for replacing parts).

This seems to be a software issue, emailed that to Sony support, but doubt that will go anywhere.

profile.country.GB.title
samkerracher

Sony just replied, saying this (for when I do manage to get the TV sent out):

"Also, in regards to the 3D issue, we confirm that the engineer will check everything in regards to the 3D on the TV, and the repair centre will definitely fix the issue you have been experiencing."

...bold statement to say the least

profile.country.GB.title
RichGee16
Explorer

In my experience talking to Sony CS none of them have a clue what they are talking about and are just reading from a script.

Be very interesting if they did fix it but I'm very doubtful they will.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@samkerracher  @RichGee16 

Hi guys

I have received an update from Sony, they state that they have found the cause of the motion blur.  They estimate that a FW update will be released later this month - however that is only an estimate.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
RichGee16
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Rich

profile.country.GB.title
samkerracher

Thanks Quinnicus, that's really good news.

Can't wait for this to be resolved.

profile.country.GB.title
samkerracher

So the latest 2.294 update just came through today.

On the U.S. forums it's believed to have fixed the issue.

Found the change log on the Asia support site:

Source: http://www.sony-asia.com/support/dow...ct/kd-65x9000b

Fixes:
Improves the performance of 4K playback by USB.
Improves usability of USB HDD recorded title management.
Improves general performance of TV.

profile.country.GB.title
RichGee16
Explorer

I can confirm that the 3D is much better, just watched Monsters V's Aliens and it was really good,  probably the best 3D I've seen With zero crosstalk.

I still have to wear my glasses upside down though but I suppose I can't have everything. 

profile.country.GB.title
samkerracher

100% confirmed fixed:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/bravia-kdlw-firmware-update-v2294/KD-79X9...

Benefits and improvements:
Enhances picture quality when watching fast motion scenes in 3D
Improves the performance of 4K playback by USB
Improves usability of USB HDD recorded title management

Watched Dredd 3D blu-ray, then played an hour of Battlefield Hardline with simulated 3D on, amazing 3D, no issues at all, it's like having a new TV!!

So glad I bought the 2014 model and didn't wait till this year as would have to have active 3D, which gives me a headache after a while.