Join now - be part of our community!

Amazon prime

SOLVED
Cat1256
New

Amazon prime

Hi everyone 

I've just bought a Sony smart tv kdl-wd603 it cost £359 and we can't get Amazon Prime on it. I spoke to support and we have to wait for a software download but no idea when that'll happen. I have an older Samsung which has the Amazon app and if I'd have known that I couldn't get it on the Sony then I wouldn't have chosen it. Really disappointed. What does a smart tv mean in Sony speak?

23 REPLIES 23
GreekGeeza
Explorer

An internet browser would be good. Facebook, Twitter, ITV Hub. My 2012 Samsung smart TV has all these apps, and games.

I called Sony Support yesturday. I was told that they consider these TV's "Semi Smart TV's" whatever that means. From the feedback I got there's a firmware update planned for September and Amazon Instant Videowill be in that, and after that there are no more aps planned. The dozen or so that are there, and Amazon video are it.

Feel really let down. as I ordered off Amazon and was expecting a Full HD Smart TV. They've since amended the description to say HD ready. There is still an image showing the Amazon Instant Viedo app on the TV. If I wanted a HD ready TV without smart features I could have saved myself a hea of money.

pedro_dodriguez
Explorer

Anyone having trouble accessing Amazon Video on a Sony TV where the app previously worked but no longer does, here's a recommendation:

This happened to me. I used it on my 2011 Bravia for years, then the other week it stopped working, logged me out and wouldn't allow me back in. Annoying!

A search on the Amazon Prime site revealed my 'old' TV is no longer among the compatible devices, along with all Sony TVs older than a couple of years.

Thanks Sony, and Amazon! You pulled support for the app without warning me, and searching around this forum and Amazon Video's forum, lots of people are having the same issue - and neither company seem prepared to acknowledge what's going on, let alone offer a solution.

So, here's what you could try: if you already pay for Amazon Video and have suddenly had access removed on your Sony TV, contact Amazon Video through their Help page, and request someone to call you back and explain the issue... they'll auto-call you almost instantly.

Tell the agent you're unhappy, get them to look into it and email you updates etc BUT don't give up - if they can't fix it, tell them you'll cancel your Amazon Video subscription unless they provide a way for you to access it on your TV...

They'll probably offer you a FireStick at half-price (about £17.50), and if you reject that they'll offer it to you FREE. Seems like that's their official 'workaround' policy at the moment. You can watch Amazon Video plus iPlayer, 4OD, Netflix etc via the Firestick. Problem solved.

Feel free to share this - I don't know how long they'll do this for but it's worth a try. I'm fairly sure Amazon won't be re-adding older devices back to their compatible list after not giving any info on the situation for weeks now, and it seems like Sony don't have anything official to say on the matter either - yet.

Worth a shot. This should have been handled better by both companies so if it costs Amazon a few Firesticks, what the hell. Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all

The Amazon app should now be available, one you have updated your TV.  Please see the following link: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/bravia-kdl-wd6-wd7-upd-v8114-DE-AT-GB/

Cheers

simon__
Explorer

Thanks for posting the notice! It's working really well so far - enjoying Mr. Robot on the bigger screen :slight_smile:

One tip for those updating: you may need to activate settings->setup->network->refresh internet content to make the Amazon app appear on the All Apps screen.

mak_18
Explorer

I've just checked the firmware version on my KDL-48WD653 and it says it's 8.123.

I presume I should have the Prime app as it's a later version than 8.114 but I still cannot see it included under All Apps.

Am I reading that firmware number correctly or do I still need 8.114?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mak_18

Your TV should now be on 8.202 :

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/Firmware-update-WD6-and-WD75-UK/KDL-48WD65...

But either way, Amazon should have been installed on your TV with that FW version.  Suggest updating to the latest firmware (as above) first, and then do a "Refresh Internet Content" in the network settings.

Cheers

Edit - Better link to new firmware:

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/bravia-kdl-wd6-wd7-upd-v8202-UK/KDL-48WD...

mak_18
Explorer

Thanks for the quick reply Quinnicus.

I've successfully updated to 8.202 now and I refreshed internet content as suggested but I'm still not seeing Prime app listed.

Any other suggestions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mak_18

Have you looked under "All Apps"?  And maybe scrolled across?

Sorry if this questions seem basic, its just that I am not sure exactly where the app 'should' be located and am also trying to figure out why its not there.

Cheers

mak_18
Explorer

Yes, I hit the home button and then selected 'All Apps' from the menu. I've tried scrolling but it won't scroll beyond the apps visible on the screen.

simon__
Explorer

Not sure what could be causing the missing Amazon video service. Is your TV a UK model? Until very recently, Amazon video had very restricted geographic availability, so I wouldn't be surprised if imported models didn't feature the correct apps. Just guessing here...