Join now - be part of our community!

BBC I player not connecting

SOLVED
JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

BBC I player not connecting

I have a Sony 3d Bravia TV 40". Ref - KDL40HX803U. I have purchased an internet connector as it is not a fully Internet TV but a part Internet TV. It comes with things like I player, demand 5 etc. in the last couple of days when trying to load I player. It states cannot connect to the server, please retry. Is it a problem with the TV or the I player. All the other internet options appear to work, Can anyone come up with a suggestion of how to fix this that would be greatly appreciated!!

I have a tablet not sony that the I player works on. However I want to fix it that it works on my TV.

Thanking anyone kindly in advance for any help they can give me.

Kind Regards

James Sidney
112 REPLIES 112
tim_s_uk
Explorer

My KDL-32EX703 updated to PKG4.118EUL-0108 while in standby and iPlayer is working again. Thanks for the continued support for this TV. Hopefully Sony and the BBC will be able to test a pre-release of the next iPlayer update, so any changes to the client can be prepared in advance.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Cyrax.NET

Not exactly sure when but mine updated and just checked it's the correct firmware now.  Iplayer working fine.

Glad it's sorted but I would 2nd the comment above.  Sony/BBC really should communicate with each other so proper testing is carried out.  Remember we have paid for our TVs and a more than substantial subscription fee to the BBC.

Cheers

peteratwyre
Explorer

Yes, came back working again yesterday 24 June, all by itself.

KDL32EX503

chrpreec
Explorer

Thanks for this information SpikeMelbost, I was trying to update using a USB drive but this did not work. Your method and link were most helpful. I wonder why Sony don't tell people about this?
fompop
Explorer

I have a KDL 40HX803 and as of today the i-Player is still not working.

Where do I need to check my update. I am confused where to find it?

JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

Would have been helpful if the Sony guy had pointed out that you can force a system software update (at least on some hardware). For mine, I made sure automatic software update was set to on, did a refresh internet content then as soon as that finished turned the tv off (standby). After 5 to 10 mins an orange led (near the red standby one) flashed for a few seconds and my update was done.

Would have been simple good customer service for Sony to have posted that info here. So basically try going into to your Internet settings, refresh content! Immediately turn the telly off whilst leaving the stand by light on, give it a couple / few moments, then an amber light flashes for a minute or two, then it goes off. Your TV should have updated and the I player should work. I think in system settings it should show 118 as the latest update. Regards James Sidney.
chivvy
Explorer

I downloaded the software patch and iplayer is up and running again. But it doesn't look any different from the previous version. While the tv service was down I was accessing it from my sony blueray player and the screens were all totally different. I assumed that was the new version?  Or are the screens dependent on the connected equipment?

Regards

Pete

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The FW update was to address an issue with iPlayer itself.  It was not an update to the application.  The reason why iPlayer is different on your TV to your Bluray player is that the BBC has 100's of different versions of its iPlayer software application.  In essence - each model device from each manufacturer has a different version.  Different devices from different years may also look different too.

Hope that explains things.

Cheers

chivvy
Explorer

Thanks for the info, that clarifies things.

I understood the issue was due to BBC releasing a new version of iplayer so I was expecting to see something different 🙂

Regards

Pete

profile.country.en_GB.title
krenim1
New

Hi, im one of the people that BBC Iplayer is it not working, I have an NX713 and I see there is an update to the tvs firmware to correct this problem, but my tv is set to automatic updates but it doesnt seem to update so im still running on PKG5.053. The TV updated originally not long after I bought it but nothing since, is there anyway to trigger a manual update to rectify the problem?

regards

Steve.