Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer no longer loading on BRAVIA TV

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
atcde1

BBC iPlayer no longer loading on BRAVIA TV

After a couple of years of being able to access the BBC iPlayer on my Sony Bravia TV (KDL-32EX503), and having had no problem using it last night, all I can see when I try to start it today is the BBC iPlayer logo with the word "Loading..." below it.

All other internet-enabled services are working fine, e.g. Lovefilm, 5 Demand, etc. I can also watch iPlayer from my laptop, which is connected wirelessly to the same router that the TV is hard-wired to.

After searching for solutions, I have restarted my internet router, unplugged and replugged the TV from/to the power socket, and reset the TV to factory settings. None of these have made a difference. The word "Loading..." sits there for at least half an hour, until I get bored of watching it and return to the other services.

I'm unaware of any firmware updates or of anything else that can have changed since I used iPlayer last night. I'm also unaware of any changes relating to my ISP. My broadband speed seems to be no different from usual.

Can anyone please advise of anything else I can try (short of kicking it)? I'd be grateful for some help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
jeffrex
Visitor
15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
atcde1

Some further information. If I remove the ethernet cable from the back of the TV while it's in iPlayer "loading" mode, and plug the cable back in, an iPlayer screen loads up, although not all the items are shown on the home page. I can however then move to the Channels, Categories and Search Function sections. But if I select a progamme or channel it doesn't load, and iPlayer gets stuck again until I unplug and plug in the ethernet cable once again, in which case the programme loads and plays.

If I then leave iPlayer, I can't get back into it unless I do the same unplug/plug the ethernet thing.

So - I can get iPlayer to work if I unplug and plug in the ethernet cable every time that iPlayer says it's loading. But all other services like 5 Demand etc are working fine. Could this be a firewall thing? I've not changed anything manually, but I know these things can have minds of their own.

SheddyIan
Visitor

My TV is a 2010 edition Sony KDL32EX403 and I'm experiencing the same thing.

About 30 minutes ago I tried to launch BBC iPlayer on the TV, but it won't work. The "BBC iPlayer loading..." screen appears, there is some network activity, and then the activity stops and the screen remains "loading...".

I tried powering the TV off and on again at the mains socket, but the problem remains.

Other network activity is ok - I can access Serviio running on a PC, and I can watch headlines etc on the Sky News internet player on the TV.

Hope this can be fixed soon.

Ian

Message was edited by: SheddyIan

I just tried a factory reset on the TV, but the BBC iPlayer problem remains.  TV is running the latest firmware version PKG4.114EUL-0108.

jeffrex
Visitor

I am having the same issue, which is very annoying as this access to BBC Iplayer was the reason I bought this TV about 2 years ago. Thanks for the details of the workaround.

profile.country.GB.title
atcde1

Thanks to jeffrex and Sheddylan for providing more information. I'm waiting for a callback from my ISP (O2) to find out how to turn off my firewall at the router level, to see if that makes a difference. But if it's not a firewall problem then I won't mess around with it.

Out of interest, what ISPs are you both with?

jeffrex
Visitor

I'm with Plusnet. I suspect the problem is with an update to BBCiplayer. Everything else is working fine.

profile.country.GB.title
atcde1

I've logged it with the BBC iPlayer team. Maybe they can help.

jeffrex
Visitor

I have too, hopefully a one day glitch.

SheddyIan
Visitor

I'm with TalkTalk, but I don't think it's an ISP specific problem. So far seems to be 2010 model Sony TVs that are failing to load the iPlayer.

Ian

Message was edited by: SheddyIan

I also logged it earlier via the iPlayer fault-report form!

jeffrex
Visitor

Iplayer's back working for me now :slight_smile: