Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KDL-42W705 - Netflix only works if TV is factory reset each time.

Droverunner

Bravia KDL-42W705 - Netflix only works if TV is factory reset each time.

Bought TV new in Jan '15 and everything about it has been great until a couple of weeks ago. Now Netflix will randomly stop working and only comes back with a full TV factory reset. Sometimes it will work throughout a day then need a reset to work the following day. Sometimes you only need to come out of Netflix for a moment and it will not work if you go back in minutes later.

It will always come back for a full TV factory reset but that's an absolute pain.

The TV is networked to our BT Home Hub via wi-fi and Youtube etc still works OK so I assume the wi-fi is OK.

We have a Youview PVR connected to the TV via the same home hub and Netflix works fine on this playing to the TV via HDMI... but that's not the point as it's a feature of the TV we want to work without additional equipment.

The TV has the latest firmware.

My problem seems different to most Netflix issues on this site as the usual complaint is it just doesn't work at all. Any thoughts appreciated.

72 REPLIES 72
Droverunner

Well I never....

Picked up the (£10) boxed & never used Home Hub 4 from a local Ebayer to replace our Home Hub 3... plugged in... pushed the TV remote's Netflix button and on it comes immediately... logged straight in and works perfectly!!!

Can this really be the answer?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting indeed.  Ive been following this thread and it certainly appears another router is the solution. 

Droverunner

Seems so.

My initial post was that I needed to reset the TV pretty well each time I wanted to use Netflix then that quickly changed to it not working at all. After the new hub 4 getting Netflix OK last night it came straight up OK this morning too so fingers crossed eh?

As far as I'm concerned Sony are the guilty party here as they made some change that prevented Netflix working with Home Hub 3 after their Autumn/Winter firmware update... and then their helpline failed to really engage with the issue I was having and give it enough thought... just relying on the "turn it off - turn it on" approach.

It will be interesting if the other posters with a Home Hub 3 could buy a bargain model 4 (they often sell for as little as £5) and see if it works for them before we mark this as a solution.

Droverunner

Oh yes... have to say too John Lewis need to rethink their approach in light of the massive change in the way we receive media these days.

Effectively they were saying if the TV had a fault that meant it wouldn't receive a direct from aerial signal that would be covered by their 5yr warranty but they would not cover an issue with receiving media any other way. Well JL need to think this through as the world is changing and Netflix is a massive worldwide player in the delivery of viewing content... in many homes (including ours) providing close to 50% of our viewing.

If they really believe they are right in their approach it should be clearly stated that their 5yr warranty excludes any issues with content delivered other than through the aerial so at least at the point of buying a TV customers could make a fair judgement of the extra value the JL free extended warranty provided.

Withnail77
Explorer

I agree with all you are saying Droverunner. My families' TV use is about 50% Netflix and on-demand (some casted from All 4 etc). I can probably wait until March for a firmware update since i'm actually finding it easier to use Netflix with my smartphone and chromecast.  It still bugs me though - especially when i want to browse through my viewing choices on-screen with someone else; so come March when the firmware update fails to materialise i'll probably be scouring ebay for a Homehub 4...

DJCannon
Explorer

Hi there,

I'm too am having this problem with netflix. I have done everything Netflix, BT and sony have asked on a number of times. 

Like you Netflix will only work after a factory reset. great. But then the morning its back to square one. 

I'm out of options. Could it really be the home hub that has done this?

Cicero46

In my humble opinion, it is Sony that have done it, with inadequately tested firmware (needs proper testing on BT Homehub 3). I suggested this to Sony support and asked for confirmation that this is the issue. Yesterday I received an email asking for a screenshot of the error (do they need this much spoon-feeding?) and giving me pages of instructions to run through with IP address setting, DNS and so forth. I took one look and lost the will to live. I guess the idea is to get me to let them close the case. It is far too complicated and error-prone for anyone to do at home - and certainly not a sensible setup procedure.

I just tried to copy / paste to show you how awful it is, but on this iPad, it drops all the line breaks and paragraph numbers. If I can get a sensible copy, I'll post it shortly.

Cicero46

Here is the Sony email for your amusement or horror:

Please attach a screenshot of the error. Please follow the below steps to set the IP address manually:

1. Obtain the following IP information from your computer.
    • IP address or IPv4 address
    • Subnet Mask
    • Default Gateway
    • Primary DNS or DNS server
    • Secondary DNS NOTE: If you are already connected to the internet, the IP information can also be obtained from the network connection status of the device.
  2. Using the remote supplied with your Internet video device, press the Home or Menu button.
  3. Select Setup or Settings.
  4. Select Network.
  5. Select Network Setup.
  6. Depending on how the device is connected to the Internet, select either Wired or Wireless.

1. Select Manual or Custom.

NOTE: For secured wireless setup, a Network security key needs to be entered before the IP address and Proxy server setting screen is displayed.

1. Enter the IP information for the Internet video device obtained on Step 1.
    • IP address: The IP address should be the same, except for the last number in the four-number sequence. Change the last number to a number higher than the original but less than 254. For example, if the IP address shown on your computer is 192.168.0.5, enter 192.168.0.105
    • Subnet Mask: Enter the Subnet mask exactly as attained from the computer.
    • Default Gateway: Enter the Default Gateway exactly as attained from the computer.
    • Primary DNS: Enter the Primary DNS or DNS server shown on the computer or copy the Default gateway if one is not provided.
    • Secondary DNS: Enter the secondary DNS shown on the computer or leave the information to sequence of zeroes. (0.0.0.0)

NOTE: Sony® Internet Video devices do not use a proxy server. Select NO if prompted to use a proxy server.

1. Select Save and Connect to establish a Network connection.

Please follow the below steps to set set DNS to public:

1. Using the supplied remote, press the Home button.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select Network.
  4. Select Network Settings/Set-up.
  5. Select Set-up Network connection.
  6. Select Custom/Expert.
  7. Select Wired/Wireless Set-up. In Wireless Setup connect TV to Wireless network by scanning the network or by using WPS function, depending of router. For secured wireless setup, a Network security key needs to be entered before the IP address and Proxy server setting screen is displayed.
  8. Select Manual IP Address setting.
  9. Keep the IP address like is or change the IP address manuallyand enter the DNS by the following Public DNS addresses: 8.8.8.8 for Primary DNS and 8.8.4.4 for Secondary DNS.
  10. Select NO if prompted to use a proxy server.
  11. Select Save and Connect to establish a Network connection.

Please reply to this email on whether or not the issue has been sorted.

End of email

The bit about setting the IP address to a higher fourth digit looks rather odd to me; not that I am anything like an expert. I would just be mechanically following the instructions without really understanding the objective. If they want me to be a tester, they should be paying me and giving me some training. I'll send them a few screenshots and decline the testing.

Did this cut and paste on Windows 10, which handled it perfectly.

Droverunner

Sadly Sony customer support are looking ever more useless as each person reports what they've been asked to do.

I can confirm the Netflix service is still perfect on the Home Hub 4 so for those that are suffering and still have a Home Hub 3 I'd get a 4 on Ebay and see if it works... OK you shouldn't have to but it's been a cheap fix for us and taken all the call centre & possible TV swap stress away.

DJCannon
Explorer

Wow what a load of confusion. I think i'll take the easy option a try with a hub 4. I have to say though how useless Sony tech team are. You would of thought they would of known about this and supplied an easy fix.