Join now - be part of our community!

Browsing issues using the sony Bravia Sony KDL50W656 50 Inch

SOLVED
8balluk
Explorer

Browsing issues using the sony Bravia Sony KDL50W656 50 Inch

Hi

Just brought the above television and I have an issue with browsing the internet. It won't let me search.

I originally tried to search on the sony default page with no success. I changed the URL to Google where it would let me type my search but wouldn't they do the search. Strangely, if I switched to google images it completes the image search. I've got back to the web search and tried again but to no avail.

I've restarted the television and still nothing.

Can anyone please help?
Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I honestly "strongly" recommend getting rid of the SCART cable - take the plunge and go to HDMI, you will not be disappointed !!  :slight_smile:

It is possible to reset the picture settings, press the [Options] button on the remote control, goto picture settings and theres an option to "reset" it. 

Also the "Scene Select" may have been adjusted accidently as well, see link below:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/13LW600114/EN/c_aadjust_scene.html

If its not the picture settings, and you are not sure what settings were adjusted, a factory reset it the way to go.

One of the settings that I recommend that you turn OFF is the Light-sensor in ECO settings.  See link for instructions:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/13LW600114/EN/c_aadjust_lsensor.html

Hopefully this helps!

Cheers

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Are you getting any error messages or.... What actually happens when you press the "Google Search" button?

Have you tried another search engine like : startpage.com ?

Also ensure that you have the latest firmware installed

Cheers 

8balluk
Explorer

I pressed the search button in the sony default and google.

How do I check the latest firmware and what is the version it should be

Thanks
8balluk
Explorer

Sorry

I'm getting no error messages

I type in the google search field, press search and nothing happens

How do I update my firmware?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

To check for a firmware update, follow the instructions : HERE

Just to confirm:

When you go onto the web-browser it should automatically come up with the Sony website. 

To goto Google, you need to press the [Options] button on the remote control and select "URL Entry". 

Then simply type in www.google.co.uk on the on-screen keyboard. 

The Google search web-page will then load up.

Type what you want to search for by going into the white text box and typing on the on-screen keyboard.

Once done, click "Google Search" on the web-page itself.

Cheers

8balluk
Explorer

I will follow your instructions now

Everything under 'just to confirm' is exactly wht I did

Thanks
8balluk
Explorer

Updated but this has not resolved the issue.

Typed in the google bar, pressed google search and nothing

Also has a side issue. Every time I go into the web I have to go through the whole set up ie country and takes me to sonys default page instead of going to the google one I set up.
Anonymous
Not applicable

How weird.

Ok, lets try this first - Can you turn the TV off, and unplug the power cord from the wall.  Leave off for 60 seconds or more, then replug it back in, and switch TV ok.  Test web-browser again?

If that still doesnt work - Can you try going to another URL instead and goto a web-page called : http://www.startpage.com - Similar search site as Google, and test this?

Also, did you set the Google webpage as default? - Should be an option to "set as default" when you press the options button on the remote control.

After that, im kinda running out of ideas to be honest, as its one of those things that "just works"

In your original post, you said that you "restarted the TV" - do you mean a Factory Reset?  If not, and still it doesnt work, I would say to "Factory Reset" the TV.  Instructions : HERE - You will loose all settings like picture settings etc, so you will need to redo them.

Fingers Crossed!!

Hope this helps anyhow.

8balluk
Explorer

Yes I did the unplugging part earlier.

I ll try your search engine now

Couldn't see the set as default. Will look again.

I didn't do a factory restore. If your search engine doesn't work I ll try that.

8balluk
Explorer

The start page link works so thanks for that but google still is not

Strange