Join now - be part of our community!

Electric shock from KDL-42W705B edge around screen.

SOLVED
barfyfe

Electric shock from KDL-42W705B edge around screen.

I'm getting a small continuous shock from the edge of the screen, I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with any other Sony TV? It's only 1 month old and I don't know if it's always had the fault as I've only noticed it just over a week ago. It doesn't matter if it's plugged into the wall socket or a power bar, the fault is always there.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

The 'electric shocks' are nothing more than a slight build up of static electricity.  This is not harmful and it is safe to use your TV.  This is probably due to the fact that the TV uses an external power brick.  If the voltage does not exceed 24V (international standard), it is not required to be 'earthed' - this is why there is some static electricity. 

To be clear, It is safe to use your TV

Hope that helps.

Cheers

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi there barfyfe,

Unfortunately, I need to ask you to please switch off and unplug your television, as this definitely should not be happening. I have escalated this to Sony and it would be best if you could Contact Sony Support asap tomorrow morning.

Many thanks,

Pascale_F

barfyfe

I've already contacted Sony customer support and so far all they've done is send me a list of questions! I knew myself to turn off the tv and discontinue using it but I've had 3 emails from Sony and they haven't advised me to stop using the tv!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unless you purchased the TV directly from Sony, I wouldnt worry too much about Sony Support.  Talk to the retailer you purchased it from and arrange an exchange (it might be easier that way). 

But certainly follow Pascale_F advice, turn it off.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
gofrost

This might just be static electricity,i assume that the tv is on a carpeted floor if so switch off and unplug and see if you get same reaction after you have walked across the room.If there is an earth leak the mcb should trip but if in doubt always follow previous advice.

barfyfe

I don't have any carpet anywhere near the tv, my living room has a wooden floor and it sits on a wooden tv cabinet, the wiring in the house was checked 6 months ago as part of a home safety check I had done, I wish it was as simple as static building up, I've stopped using the set as soon as the fault occurred and now I'm just waiting on Sony replying to my latest email, it's just a waiting game now!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @barfyfe 

Just following up this thread to see if your issue has been dealt with and resolved?

Cheers

barfyfe

Unfortunately not, I've been on the phone to Sony a couple of times and I'm always told that a manager is to call back within a hour but as yet they haven't bothered their arse to call back. I thought that by going direct to Sony that it would alert them to a issue in a new model and that they would have the problem sorted out quickly, I guess I'll just take it back to the retailer, I might actually get some decent customer service!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update Barfyfe.

Your issue has been flagged with Sony, and I have also gave them a polite nudge/push as well. 

Cheers

barfyfe

Just a wee update, Sony are now sending out an engineer to my home. It's been a bit disappointing to say the least having a new TV just sitting unplugged as it was not very safe to use!