Join now - be part of our community!

Electric shock from KDL-42W705B edge around screen.

SOLVED
barfyfe

Electric shock from KDL-42W705B edge around screen.

I'm getting a small continuous shock from the edge of the screen, I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with any other Sony TV? It's only 1 month old and I don't know if it's always had the fault as I've only noticed it just over a week ago. It doesn't matter if it's plugged into the wall socket or a power bar, the fault is always there.
21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Let's hope he's wearing rubber soled shoes :wink:

paulmurphy68
Explorer

just purchased the same tv and have the same problem.  I took the first one back to argos which is where it is from and had an identicle replacement.  Exact same problem.  Ive sent sony a mail this morning and will follow up with a call.  We have no carpet and our wiring is brand new

barfyfe

It looks like a fault with this model then, I was getting paranoid because it looked as if it was only my set! I even paid an electrician to come last weekend to recheck my wiring to make sure I hadn't a faulty earth! I'm still waiting on an engineer contacting me to arrange to visit, so since I first reported this to Sony I've had a £600 paperweight sitting in my spare room!

paulmurphy68
Explorer

Im on the phone to them now.... I dont mind taking it back... again.... but its more than a coincidence!

barfyfe

I've be on the phone to Sony 5 times now, I'm getting a bit fed up at being passed around, I was really pleased with the TV until I discovered the fault, well it was one of my wee lads discovered it when he was reaching under it to get his dummy, he starting crying and I couldn't work out why, that was until I reached over to turn on a lamp behind it and got a wee sick myself! If this is a common occurrence I can see a recall taking place!

Edited: swearing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@barfyfe 

A Sony Engineer should have either called you by now, or will be calling you very shortly to arrange an onsite visit I believe.

I forgot to mention, the for the onsite visit, the company is called "Craigavon TV"

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@paulmurphy68 

Hi there

Sony have requested the serial number of your TV.  Can you please PM (Private Message) me that serial number so I can pass it on.

Thank you very much.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

The 'electric shocks' are nothing more than a slight build up of static electricity.  This is not harmful and it is safe to use your TV.  This is probably due to the fact that the TV uses an external power brick.  If the voltage does not exceed 24V (international standard), it is not required to be 'earthed' - this is why there is some static electricity. 

To be clear, It is safe to use your TV

Hope that helps.

Cheers

barfyfe

It may be harmless but try telling that to my wife!  

When she found out that it gave one of my toddlers a wee shock she was furious!

If this can't be corrected then I will be getting rid of the unit and going for my second choice, the panasonic equivalent.  I just can't have my twin toddlers getting shocks from my TV, they cry enough as it is!

Can this (harmless) fault be fixed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there barfyfe

I can fully understand you (and your wifes) position on this matter.  I would probably feel and do the same. 

Unfortunately, to my understanding, as this is the design of the TV - it cannot and will not be resolved.

My rule is the following : If you are not happy with the product you have purchased (ie this TV), take it back and get a product that you will be happy with.

Just to make it clear - Im not a Sony employee, merely one of you guys and wish you all the best on whatever you decided.  :four_leaf_clover:

Cheers