Join now - be part of our community!

Help! - KDL32CX523BU not recognising my HDD

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
tvprob
Visitor

Help! - KDL32CX523BU not recognising my HDD

Hi would be very grateful for your advice. Just purchased the KDL32CX523BU and I've tried to attach my HDD which is a Western Digital 160Gb WD1600U017-004. The TV didn't recognise the HDD so I reformatted it twice, once as NTFS and once as exFAT. But neither has worked so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get the TV to recognise the HDD? Many thanks. Nick

ps I've also tried the HDD diagnostic but again the TV says it's not detecting it (although I get a message when I plug in the usb that the TV detects the presence of an HDD!). Confusing! Thanks.

Message was edited by: tvprob

Message was edited by: tvprob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bravia55HX

Hi,

drive needs formatting in FAT32 in order for it to work.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Bravia55HX

Hi,

drive needs formatting in FAT32 in order for it to work.

tvprob
Visitor

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I've reformatted as FAT32 using the GUI here http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm but it still isn't being recognised. Any other suggestions?

Many thanks

Nick

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

my guess is that the drive is not powered by its own power soarce and its likely thats why its not working properly, not all USB ports carry the power required for this.

Sony recommend the western digital my book essentials which is a powered drive and despite this recommendation theres a conflict of information as to what will or will not work with Sony tv's.

i believe Sony should post a sticky on here regarding this issue and be more direct with what exactly the requirements are in terms of HDD's for the use on their tv's.

tvprob
Visitor

Thanks again, Bravia, that does seem feasible. And yes it sounds as though Sony need to provide more info!

Best wishes

Nick