Join now - be part of our community!

LIP SYNC

alang498
Explorer

LIP SYNC

Compared to our old Bravia (KDL32W5810) I have noted lip sync problems with our new television (KDL32WD756) and also the changes between scenes on the screen seem to happen very fast.

Has anyone noticed similar ? 

27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

Are you experiencing lip sync issues on a connected device or broadcast TV (i.e. Freeview) or even from an app like YouTube?

Do you have any external audio system like a soundbar connected to the TV?

The reason I ask, is other than an issue with lip sync with YouTube, the connected device generally has an option to adjust the audio sync timings.  I just had a scan of the TVs manual, and cant see anything in there that would help you anyhow.

In regards to "changes between scenes on the screen seem to happen very fast" - I dont understand what you are meaning - are you able to explain a bit more?

Cheers

alang498
Explorer

Hi,

Thank you very much for your comments.

Our KDL32W756 has a Freeview HD tuner so I have connected the aerial cable to our Sony RDR HXD 870 DVD player/recorder, and then a cable from that to the tv.  We watch the tv without the RDR HXD 870 being on unless we want to record something.

We do not have an external audio system,/soundbar, etc.

When watching characters speak in certain programmes the persons voice through the tv speakers does not always seem to match the movement of the lips - maybe this is due to the sound system on the tv ?  Likewise, I cannot find any options to adjust the sound in this respect.

As far as the speed that scenes seem to change at: They seem to happen faster than with our old tv to the extent that it is noticeable and the change of scene on the tv seems " sudden " = maybe this is due to Motionflow, or just the fact that we are paying far more attention to what we are seeing and heaing from our new tv when we were more than happy with our old tv, had it not gone wrong (seperate post)

profile.country.GB.title
TheLarch
Explorer

Hi Alan,

I've noticed lip sync issues with the same set.  It seems to be very inconsistent, so I haven't managed to narrow it down to particular channels, audio encoding, or any other factor, but it can sometimes be bad enough to be completely intolerable.

I reported it to Sony with detailed descriptions of a handful of other problems over 3 weeks ago, but so far I haven't had a response other than to check what type of HDMI cable I'm using (which isn't relevant when the problems are entirely within the set like this).  As I was unable to give detailed steps to reproduce it, I don't know what they will say.

I guess this is bad news, as it looks like the problem is not just with my set, but the model in general.  But at least I know it's not just me!

If it's possible to be more specific about the conditions under which it seems to be bad, that would almost certainly help Sony to reproduce the problem.  Perhaps they would then consider fixing it.  Unfortunately my set is packed back in the box, as problems with the audio description meant that I couldn't really leave it set up.  In fact I suspect that I will have to send it back to the retailer soon if I don't hear anything.

I would be really interested to know if you find that the sound ever goes glitchy if you enable audio description - again it's inconsistent but for instance we found it happened more often than not on Coronation Street and Neighbours on ITV HD.

Sorry not to be able to help you, apart from confirming your problem!

Jonathan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @alang498

For troubleshooting purposes, the less devices you have connected to the TV the better. 

I see that you are using the RF-loop through from the RDR.. to the TV - can you plug the aerial directly into the TV and see if there are any lip-sync issues that way.  Im curious if the delay is because its going through the RDR.. first.

Cheers

alang498
Explorer

Hi Jonathan,

I will pay more attention to the lip sync issue and post another response with details.

I would say that the issue is worse with non HD channels.

As suggested in another post, I will run the aerial direct to the TV rather than via our Sony recorder to see if that makes a difference to the lip sync issue.

With our old Sony Bravia TV there was no lip sync issue and the voices at least appeared to be coming from the mouth, yet with our new KDL32W756 the voice also seems detached from the character.

Overall, I find the sound with the KDL32W756 awful compared to our old TV - but it seems fairly standard that you are now xpected to buy a seperate sound system.

alang498
Explorer

Hi,

I will try your suggestion and post the results.

Thank you.

alang498
Explorer

Hi,

I have run the aerial direct to the KDL-32WD756 but would say that the result is the same as running the signal through the Sony DVD player/hard disk recorder in that there are still lip sync issues - which appear worse on SD channels.

When watching characters on screen the voices still seem detached from the mouth of the character - possibly due to the speakers being at the back of the tv and facing downwards ?

Had running the aerial cable direct to the tv improved the situation I would have thought that it defeats the object of being able to watch one tv channel whilst recording another.

Overall the sound quality of the KDL-32WD756 is rubbish and spoils viewing. The sound is just about acceptable on HD channels but deteriorates on SD channels.

Speech that includes words with ss, sh, z, etc. is irritating because of the tinny sound - even trying different equaliser settings cannot produce a satisfactory sound.

Most of the time the sound is lower on SD channels requiring a volume setting of 50 + whilst on HD channels the volume setting is OK at 40.

In addition, the sound seems to have a tendency to occasionally increase of its own accord during viewing but with no increase shown on the volume scale.

There is also the occasional  perception that the sound is increasing and then fading.

On the subject of picture quality, I would say that pictures on HD channels are very good but on SD channels they are worse than what we experienced on our old KDLW5810 - and of course the sound quality on our old set was much better due to better speakers.

In the name of progress we now have a tv that has poorer sound quality and poorer picturer quality on SD channels than we had with a tv that was 6 years old !

In conclusion of this post, I would say that I wish I had looked more deeply into getting the KDL32W5810 repaired. 

profile.country.GB.title
TheLarch
Explorer

Hi again Alan,

That's no surprise to me, It's hard to see how changing the aerial leads around would fix a problem with lipsync.  Reception problems would tend to manifest themselves as occasional "no signal", or at least blocking.  I guess it could be out of sync after the signal comes back - if the set doesn't handle errors very well - but changing channels and back again would get everything back in sync.

If it's getting the digital signal from the multiplex, it's getting the audio and video signals interleaved together, and it's up to the set to ensure that they are kept in sync.  I don't think the speaker placement has anything to do with it, in my opinion it's the software or hardware in the television not managing it's buffer sizes appropriately.

I agree that the lipsync problems seem to be worse on SD channels.  I also agree that the built in speakers aren't up to much, which is why I got a Sony sound base to go with the set.  Unfortunately it adds its own audio decoding delay, so the lip sync problem is even worse, and there's no setting on the telly to compensate for that.  Very disappointing indeed.

You may be able to compensate for the different volume level between HD and SD channels.  In System Settings / Sound Settings / Advanced Settings, there should be two options for HE-AAC Audio Level and MPEG Audio Level.  HE-AAC applies to HD channels, and MPEG to SD, so adjusting one up or the other down might even things out.

The problem with the volume level going up and down might be caused by the Auto Volume setting.  Go to System Settings / Sound Settings / Auto Volume.  Or you might want to try experimenting with System Settings / Sound Settings / Advanced Settings / Dynamic Range.

I can't test these myself at the moment as the set is all packed back in the box.  I'm glad we didn't get rid of our old set-up like you seem to have - we're back with a CRT and a set-top box for the time being!

MrSkywalker
Explorer

Hi Guys,

I have just been reading your experiences with interest. Have you managed to resolve the lip sync problems?

I purchased a Sony 32WD756BU last week but I am also experincing the same issue! As you say it's very hard to replicate consistantly, but would concur with you that it appears to be worst on SD channels. The severity seems to vary as well, sometimes it's very obvious and other times it's hardly noticeable, but there is always a feeling that voices are disconnected from the characters. I do not have any external devices connetced, just the TV all on it's own.

If this issue can't be resolved asap I will be returning the TV as it just ruins the overall viewing experience, despite having a nice picture.