Join now - be part of our community!

LIP SYNC

alang498
Explorer

LIP SYNC

Compared to our old Bravia (KDL32W5810) I have noted lip sync problems with our new television (KDL32WD756) and also the changes between scenes on the screen seem to happen very fast.

Has anyone noticed similar ? 

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.GB.title
TheLarch
Explorer

Hi,

I can't speak for the original poster, but in my case the answer is, sadly, no.

As best I could, I gave technical support detailed instructions to reproduce the various issues I had with the set.  I never received confirmation that they had reproduced the problems themselves, or any indication whether they would be trying to fix them or not.  But nor did I get an answer saying it was just my set or some sets, and an RMA so that I could get it replaced by the retailer.

After more than two months of chasing them up and getting occasional suggestions like a retune, a change of HDMI lead, and a suggestion to change the audio delay on the soundbase (which makes the problem worse!), I finally got an email asking me to confirm that I had installed a firmware update which had just been released.

Unfortunately by this time the set was going back to the retailer, so I never found out if the new firmware would have fixed the lip sync, or any of the other issues I had.

It would be worth checking that your firmware is up to date, in case they have addressed that issue.  I would be interested to hear how you get on.

alang498
Explorer

The situation with our new TV  is still as described in my post of last November in that we are still experiencing the lip sync and sound issues.

Wish we had never bought the new TV and had made more enquiries about getting our old TV repaired.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @alang498

I have escalated this issue to Sony Support - when a general comment that others are also experiencing this issue too.

If I received any useful information from Sony, ill post back.

Cheers

MrSkywalker
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Thanks for escalating this issue on our behalf.

Just to update everyone on my current situation:

I am already running the lastest firmware version as of now, which was installed during the initial TV set-up.

I contacted Sony Support this morning via telephone and reported the problem I was having. These were the advisors instructions in order to 'reset' the tuning.

Turn off the TV and disconnected the aerial.

With the aerial disconnected, carry out a re-tune.

Turn the TV off again and re-connect aerial.

Turn on the TV and carry out a re-tune.

Finally test and see if problem continues.

I am currently in the testing phase, paying particular attention to the SD channels that I'm watching. So far I haven't witnessed any obvious lip sync error, however I'm still not convinced the problem has been solved. There is still a feeling that during certain sections of dialog that there is some level of lip sync error. It might only be a few milliseconds delay and/or I am particularly sensitive to the effect, but something just doesn't 'feel' right. It makes it hard for me to relax while watching anything as I'm constantly second guessing the effect, is it me or the TV?!

I will keep monitoring for the next couple of days and post another update. The trouble is now, I have lost confidence in the TV so might have to change it anyway for my own sanity! I also have to make a decison soon, while my returns period is still open with the retailer. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of alternatives at this size (32") and full HD but I might be forced over to trying the equivalent Samsung UE32K5500 or Philips 32PFS6401/12. One final major disapointment with the Sony WD756 is the lack of standard catch-up apps. It only includes BBC iPlayer and Channel 5. I know these can be sourced through external devices but surely in this day and age we can expect all the major channels, BBC1 through Ch5.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @MrSkywalker

Yes, please let us know how you get on.  In regards to catchup apps - ITV Player and 4OD - Unfortunately these will not be coming to Sony non-android based TVs. 

This thread below has been ongoing for years now :

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/when-are-itv-player-and-4od-coming-to-bravia/m-p/191742

Cheers

alang498
Explorer

Will be interested to see how you get on.

I also agree that it is frustrating not to have other catch up channels.

Have you looked at the Panasonic range ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI guys

Just to let you know, Sony has escalated this "to the technical analysts to see if we can come to a solution."

Cheers

thallen49
Explorer

I think I posted this iin the wrong area but here it is again -

Folks,

we have a two month old 40WD653 television puchased directly from Sony and have noticed the problem. The fault is entirely within the TV and strangely is most noticable in news programs, especially the local BBC news and becomes worse during any 'outside' reports and their weather forecast. With other programs the effect is not noticable.

We are at software version V8.202-1000-1.240-01 receiving from the Rowridge transmitter. I have done a factory reset but the problem persists.

MrSkywalker
Explorer

Sorry for the delay but here is an update on my thoughts and findings...

Initially I though the lip sync issue had been resolved, however after monitoring the TV over a longer period of time, I have again witnessed the effect numerous times. It is very subtle and might even be missed by some people, but it's definitely there. I wish I had some way to measure it accurately to prove my observations. This only occurs on SD channels.

We  have not had any direct responce from Sony regarding this issue despite it being raised to the "technical analysts". Unless this issue can be resolved by way of software update, then I see no choice but to try another TV from an alternative manufacturer. In any event I don't belive the problem will be rectified within my 30 day retailer returns window, so I will be forced to return it before my time is up anyway.

Regarding software, I understand that most catch-up services will never be coming to non-andriod TVs, but you do have to ask the question, why not? I would like to buy a 32" Andriod TV but Sony isn't offering one! 

Interestingly it appears that Sony aren't offerening any Full HD 32" TVs in their 2017 product range. 720p only, which really is a disapointment and shows how these small TVs are really being neglected.

alang498
Explorer

I experience exactly the same with the lip sync. BBC Look East is terrible and even worse when they switch to an outside reporter.

Regarding my previous comment about the sound increasing of its own accord, we recently watched a programme on BBC4 - Life of a mountain - A year on Blencathra which was accompanied by music showing the panoramas. The music increased in volume of its own accord to the extent that it was impossible to converse over the sound of the TV and then had to use the remote to lower the sound of the music. When a commentary recommenced, the volume then had to be turned back up again to hear what was being spoken.