Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix not working

SOLVED
macgers77
New

Netflix not working

I have just purchased a new Sony KDL-46W905A today.  I cannot get the Netflix app to connect.  I click on app and it gives me error NW4-8.  I have been in contact with Netflix and they can't even sort it.  Internet is fine - just can't connect to Netflix servers.  Has anyone any ideas it's driving me nuts

178 REPLIES 178
CeeGeeEss

Just had the following from Sony:

"Thank you for contacting Sony support. Kindly find that the case still under investigation as we got no updates yet. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience.

Kindly find that your patience is highly appreciated.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours Sincerely,"

And my response:

"My patience may be appreciated but it has run out.

No updates, no communication, not even an acknowledgement that this is a known and common problem affecting many customers nor any clue as to what Sony is doing about it (nothing perhaps?)

Could you please advise me of your formal complaint process and the process of applying to Sony for compensation."

Chances of a (satisfactory) response? More chance of Birmingham City winning the European Cup.
CeeGeeEss

So, in response to my note I got another note from Sony saying exactky the same thing! I sent a note back asking for my question to be answered. I then got a phone call and the following e-mail:

"

Thank you for replying back. Kindly find that I have tried to contact you today on your mobile number as regarding to:

1. Netflix issue:

We are working hard to get this issue resolved as soon as possible although you have been waiting for that long time.

2. Complain:

I will make sure to raise your complain and concern regarding to this time has been taken in order to resolve your problem.

So, Please accept my apology again for the inconvenience and please notice that once we receive any updates we will make sure to update you.

Yours Sincerely,"

To which I responded:

"Thank you for your note below and your voicemail.

1. Netflix issue: In your voicemail you said it would be solved very soon. But here you say "as soon as possible". Which is it? Is there an ETA for a fix?

2. Complaint: Thank you for raising my complaint - to be clear my complaint refers not only to the time taken to resolve the technical issue, but also the lack of communication from Sony, lack of any sense of urgency, and lack of a proposal  from Sony as to how it intends to compensate customers. Note that there are many customers who have paid (and continue to pay) for a service that they cannot use. Does Sony care about them?

As you have formally raised the complaint I assume you can give me a case reference? (I would expect it to be different to the support call reference). Could you also please confirm the complaint process and who I can talk to if I wish to dicuss my complaint. I expect that to be someone in the customer relations team not the technical support team.

Regards"

Any bets on how long this could go on?
CeeGeeEss

And this morning Sony e-mailed with ...

"Thank you for clarifying you point in details. Kindly find that regarding the case number it is the same: 10519647.

Please find that you will receive a call from a manager within 24 Business hours.

Thank you for your enquiry."
jrigbysmith
Explorer

I too have a KDL46W905A and have the same issue with Netflix

Totally agree, when are SONY going to fix this problem !!!!

CeeGeeEss

Just got a call from Sony. Firstly you have to admire their security procedures which go like this: "Could you please confirm your mobile number and your e-mail address". "What, the mobile number you just dialled to phone me?"

Good news - they have a fix and will post it later today as a SW update.

Bad news - he phoned me back two minutes later to say that he was wrong and in fact what they were posting "on the Netflix website" is an ackno\wledgement that there is a known problem and they are working on it. No ETA.

Incredible.

In the first call, whilst being grateful that there was a resolution, I pressed him on why their customer support had been so poor - no updates, no acknowledgement of the problem, and no advice to their support desk to tell customers it was known. Answer was they they couldn't do this until it was recognised as a broader problem and each case had to be taken individually. I did point out that this was rubbish - it's been on-going for months with many many users suffering the identical issue. I failed to mention that they are still selling devices that don't work and advising their sales people not to mention or acknowledge the issue.

The second call, btw, went to voicemail so I didn't have the opportunity to discuss how he managed to get it so wrong and then complete such a volte face within 5 minutes.

How long before they go bust I wonder? With customer service this good they could teach (the old) British Leyland a thing or two.

anpaint64
Explorer

I have just received my monthly Which? magazine with an article in it with regard to technology not being updated on reasonably new tech.  They requested any information on any technology where this was a problem. So, a comment now placed within the Which? tv support section bemoaning Sony's attitude re Netflix issue.  The article is worth a read online www.which.co.uk\tvsupport as it opened my eyes to other Apps that just disappear from your TV never to be used again!

eggraces
New

Just got the 46W905A.... was wondering why my Netflix wasn't working and have come across this site.

Very fustrated, to say the least.  Support looks shocking.  I hope they get this sorted ASAP.  This is supposed to be a 'premium' product, I expect excellent support for years not no support forever....

udimion
Explorer

Just picked up my 46W905A only to discover the lack of a working Netflix app. Luckily I'm not reliant on the TV for my Netflix, but such as shame that Sony still can't get their software problems sorted. 

Also surprised the lack of support for a lot of other apps. They are well behind both LG and Samsung in that respect.

CeeGeeEss

I got a further phone call yesterday from Sony - in response to my request on Friday that they e-mail me to confirm the status (i.e. yes there is a common problem, no we don't have a solution or ETA).

I again pointed out that I want it in writing, that the issue for me isn't so much that the Netflix app doesn't work but Sony's apparent utter contempt for its customers in the way it treats them (lack of communication to customers or their own help desk, or indeed their own sales staff).

I also explained that, having bought Sony for years, with a premium product I expect premium service and yet the first time I need support what I get is so far from premium as to be laughable.

The person who phoned said they were putting a post on the web - he thought it would be the customer forum. I asked him (again) to e-mail me to confirm the status and to give me the link. Guess what, 24 hours on and no e-mail.

As far as I can tell also no announcement on any web page.

I have cancelled my Netflix account. I shall not be buying another Sony product.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just quickly - I had a FW update overnight to my W807A TV and was wondering if there was an update pushed to the W905 and if so, did it 'cure' any of the netflix issues?