Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL**HX923

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Sony KDL**HX923

Should i be worried, apparently complaints are comming in already for this new tv on dark verticle lines either side of the screen!, i have seen this before on the LG i had that went back for a full refund as it was the area where the ribbon cable joins at the screen for the backlight (could be seen from the front) i had 3 of them and the engineer said its not right, heres the pics of the Sony.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/crease3.jpg/

http://i53.tinypic.com/wi2grc.jpg

this was originally posted on another forum and the poster stated that this is reported by german customers and uk ones, however i have been waiting months for my pre order and dont have it yet!!

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

Message was edited by: StartTheCar

Edited title in order to Sticky it, hope this is ok.

Message was edited by: -frank-

Edited links to work properly (originally double http)

535 REPLIES 535
Bravia55HX

Nah mate, not so much as a peep!, as promised, i will let you know.

Jason-Jones
Visitor

I am now waiting for my fourth replacement as once I got mine up and running I actually found out that one of the HDMI ports (HMDI1, the one I need with ARC) was physically damaged and didn't work properly and the prescence camera gives an error when trying to use the prescence features :slight_frown:

Talk about bad luck...

Currently running it on one of the other HDMI inputs for now, and generally very pleased/impressed with overall picture quality; cannot see crease unless I put on a blue background and specifically look closely for it...

SD content is pretty good, but the set REALLY shines with pure HD content and blu-ray. I am luckier than most with SD as I have a DVDO Edge video processor that improves the SD picture much better than Sky or the TV can achieve on their own.

Cheers

JJ

Bravia55HX

Yes your right about the quality of the picture in HD, and thats what im missing, this loaner may as well be a dinosaur by comparison, as for that presence sensor, nah, turned mine off not long after i got the first set as i found it gimmicky and annoying!, shame that your main HDMI was faulty, would have thought quality control would have clocked that, oh well if life was perfect it would be boring i suppose.

i cant wait for that inevitable phone call!.

profile.country.en_IE.title
BamBamMickey
Visitor

Hi everyone.

I am about to jump on the 55HX923 bandwagon.

Having had the Samsung 55D8000 LED & Panasonic VT30 previously, i am hoping to be a happier chappy :slight_smile:

Had 4 of the D8000, all suffered from Banding, Clouding, Backlight bleed & posterization to some degree.

Awful for a purist with a massive Blu Ray collection.

The Panasonic's all suffered the Greed DOD (dots of doom) and posterization & fluctuating brightness.

Having read about the Sony HX923 and a lot of Film buffs find the picture flawless, and the only bad points i can see the 923 getting are reflections on the screen and the odd case of the CREASE which isn't noticeable on some, i am going to put money down this saturday.

Have i made the right decision?

Does 24p look good on the 923?

Thanks everyone

Jason-Jones
Visitor

Yes, it can produce a breathtaking picture with good HD content.

There is the crease (as you mention) but this seems to be pretty minimal now on "most" newer sets (>Aug2011). In terms of reflections, the panel is actually very good compared to a lot of other modern "glossy" sets. It is very reflective when off, but gets a lot better when on.

The other biggest downside after the crease is blooming/haloing...

A quick snippet from a recent review on AVForums:

PROS

Sublime PQ
Great Blacks
Screen Brightness
Design
Next to know flicker with glasses, Even in bright conditions
Input Lag = maybe not for the hardcore PC player

CONS

haloing/Blooming is a problem, Maybe with somemore adjustments it can be managed. Its only a problem when watching a very very dark film or on end credits, White on black.
Crosstalk in 3D (HX903 is better)
Depth could be better in 3D. (sammy d7000 is better)

Source: http://www.avforums.com/forums/15715703-post868.html

There are some other owners on AVF that have also had the D8000 and/or VT30, so worth a look :wink:

Cheers

JJ

Bravia55HX

Hi,

go along with most of what jason has said there but for a couple of points i have,

the halo ing i have only experienced watching in 3D and only when its starting up,

once the tv is set up its hardly a problem, the blacks are as black as you can get.

this issue with the infamous crease well lately i have discovered that its a trait of the design of the tv, all these new ones with monolithic design with the gorilla glass fronts have it, go and stare at any with this long enough and you will see it, i will admit some are better than others and even with my belief that it should not be there, it is. this will be interesting to see if the new 2012 sets with the same design have it though.

yes the glass is reflective as with any glass but once its turned on its a real treat, its the best picture i've seen since my pioneer plasma!, go ahead treat yourelf and enjoy, go through this post and find picture settings here to get you on the right track.

have fun.

Jason-Jones
Visitor

I have personally mainly noticed blooming when off-axis. I have not noticed it anywhere near as much when sat directly infront of the screen, and even when I have, it has not been that distracting to spoil my enjoyment of the content (well, not yet).

I think blooming is to be expected on backlit local dimming models, but this is my first LED so cant really compare to others.

I mentioned it as it seems to be a popular criticism when talking about the TV...

If you can live with these points (crease/blooming) then it should be a good option given your previous sets :wink:

Cheers

JJ 

profile.country.en_IE.title
BamBamMickey
Visitor

Many thanks lads.

Sounds like the right set for me, i have been on AVF and a lot of people there have the same issues with the Samsungs & Panasonics, so i have been well aware that the only LED set out there even worth considering for movie enthusiasts is the the Sony HX923.

If any of you have had the Samsung D8000 LED, you would find the crease far easier to live with than the posterization and bleeding from the Samsungs.

Even the bezels on the Samsungs bleeds light onto the screen when looked at at certain angles.

Looking forward to giving you my impressions of this wonderful beast.

923sony
Visitor

Hi All

This my first post so be gentle wih me please.

Bought KDL46HX923 (06/2011)on 15.10.2011. All ok except a  very faint crease on left edge. The dealer exchanged the unit for a new one ( 08/2011) last Saturday.

Now no crease but right left corner very faint white lines (about 8x8 inch area.) also 2 black lines on top along the screen( about 2cm from the top ). Very poor TV.

Talked to the dealer and they are going to give me a replacement tomorrow(02.11.2011). This will be my 3rd 35 miles trip to dealer.

Spent almost £2000.00 (with TV stand) and this is what I have.

Will post the latest resuls when I collect the replacement set.

Regards to all from very unhappy

923sony

Jason-Jones
Visitor

@923sony - My 4th set arrives tomorrow, so you are in good company :wink: