Join now - be part of our community!

Sony W9 - DLNA, false "Unsupported content." error message

Kosire
Explorer

Sony W9 - DLNA, false "Unsupported content." error message

Hey,

I could'nt find out where you submit bugs to Sony about their products, so I'm submitting it here.

I just got myself a new Sony W9 tv (wonderful tv btw) and I can play all my files over DLNA. However, there is one file the TV thinks it can't play, where it says "Unsupported content". However, the movie plays fine, the audio works and even subtitles work. So what's the problem?

I can't get the message to go away, it keeps being visible under the entire playback of the movie. it's clearly supported since it's playing the video, playing the audio and subtitles.

I tried getting another message to show instead (by pressing some buttons), but after that error message was gone I got the same one back again "Unsupported content".

How do I remove it?!

I've uploaded the info on the movie file I've tried that shows it's unsupported (even though it's not) and then the info of a movie that works aswell, but without the error message.

Movie_that_provides_the_error_message_but_works.mkv

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=c7nZ5tpY

Movie_that_works_without_error_message.mkv

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=sVr9wW8r

If you compare the two, you can see they both use V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC for video, they both use DTS for audio, they both have SRT subtitles, The only real difference there is, is that the bitrate is slighty higher on the one that provides the error message - but it works fine when playing it on the tv.

This is clearly as bug, as both videos play fine but only the first one shows the "Unsupported content." message, that you can't get rid of!

55 REPLIES 55
tespit
New

Thanks Fetlox. It worked on my KDL55 too. It is annoying 'though, when I rewind/forward a movie file, it appears again.

Sebek74

New update PKG4.451EUA - still no change.

Wailers58
New

Had this problem to solved it by opening video file in QuickTime on my mac then export as 720 file takes only a couple minutes then play on TV.

Dear Freind, I have experienced the same problem and here is the solution. With the error message shown on the screen, just press the OPTIONS button on the remote control. Then select SCREEN, and the error message disappears. Now press the RETURN button on the remote and enjoy the movie as usual. If you happen to get it again, repeat the aforementioned procedure.

have a good day! 

Sebek74

Thank you for sugestion Wasantha18 but this does not work with W905 and every firmware I've tested. Do you own 2014 series model?

Sebek74

Wailers58: Undestood, but reenconding every material and impairment of quality of the video is not a solution.

Yes, I own Sony Bravia KDL - 32W 700 B and manufactured by Sony in March 2014. It worked. Just press OPTION, then select SCENE SELECT and back by selecting RETURN on the remote controller.

SCENCE SELECT

Sent from my iPad
Nightbass
Explorer

I'm getting the same error on my W905 when watching via DLNA. HQ movies play fine while the "Unsupported content" is persistently shown. I'm on the latest firmware. This is really annoying, Sony help us to get rid of that message. You got the source codes not us!

Hey just wondering if there has been any updates regarding the resolution of this issue, recently come across it myself and it's beyond frustrating. Thanks for the advice so far but nothing seems to have worked
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

Unfortunately there are no update to this issue.  Sony are aware of this issue and as far as I believe it has gone to the Engineers in Japan.  But thats as far as its got im afraid.

Your going to have to re-encode/re-mux the problem file/s to a format that is fully supported.

Cheers