Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to watch BBC Iplayer

profile.country.GB.title
muffin1947

Unable to watch BBC Iplayer

I am having trouble trying to watch BBC IPLAYER.When I go into it and click on search and enter the first letter all I get is a spinning disc which I have left for 30 minutes and nothing happens.When you enter the first letter you should get a list of possible programs but I get nothing just the spinning disc.My TV is a Sony KDL-42W653A can anyone help.Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

About a week ago people were reporting iPlayer issues with 2013 TVs:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/kdl-47w805a-tv-message-of-system-memory-limit/td-p/2263247

This has been fixed.  Unless other people can confirm the same issue, then we can assume that its isolated to you only.  However iPlayer seems to have an uncanny knack of working again the next day.  By the time you read this, it is the next day :slight_smile:   Can you test again?

If not, do a "Refresh Internet Content" and try again ?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
muffin1947

I have just tried it and the time is 11.47 and still not working.Went into search entered the first letter and al I get is a spinning disc.I had this yesterday and left it while I popped our 45 minutes later it was still spinning.I phoned Sony and on the phone for 35 mins and got nowhere and was told they would get a technical  person to ring me but call came.Will ring them again now.This is a 2015 TV.

profile.country.GB.title
muffin1947

Just had a thought I wonder if my TV insurance would cover this.I am still on the phone listening to some woman saying please hold one of our agents will be with you shortly 8 mins so far.

profile.country.GB.title
muffin1947

I forgot to mention I use TalkTalk for my TV  and broadband and I have a Youview box and I can get BBC i player on that with no problem but would still like to get it on the TV.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If you can test another app such as YouTube and see if it works.  If say YouTube works, then you know for sure that its definately BBC iPlayer - which you would then report to BBC.  To report faults to the BBC, use the online form:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/contact

Also, your model TV (KDL-42W653A) is a 2013 model.  Indicated by the 'A' at the end of it.  A=2013, B=2014, C=2015, WD and XD=2016. 

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
muffin1947

I did a refresh internet yesterday when I was on the phone and that was ok have just tried you tube and that works ok can also get Netfix and BBC news,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for confirming - it points to a BBC fault, which im surprised no one has replied back by now confirming the same.

Edit:

Is it only the search area that you are having problems with - can you try just playing any TV show from the front page of iPlayer?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
muffin1947

Have just tried a couple of films and they work ok have also sent a message to the BBC using the link you provided

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - so its only search :slight_smile:

Also, just ensure that your TV is on the latest firmware:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/bravia-kdlw-kdlx-firmware-update-v4600eua...

Cheers