Join now - be part of our community!

Why can't I watch 4oD on my Sony Bravia TV?

janestead
New

Why can't I watch 4oD on my Sony Bravia TV?

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

I suppose that depends on which particular model you refer to an whether it has streaming media services such as those found on the Sony Entertainment Network?

There are also a number of other ways you can watch 4oD, either by connecting a streaming media player, there are many to choose from. Also Sony Blu-ray players now have streaming media services also although I'm not sure if mine has 4oD. Another way would be to connect a PC or Laptop via a HDMI cable and view it directly from the Internet on your TV.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
tatcan
Explorer

Hi

Best is if you have a smart phone that can be mirrored to your tv and run the 4OD app from your phone.

TC

profile.country.GB.title
Xeno-man
Explorer

My Bravia gets streaming video fine but I still can't get 4OD. I can even get YouTube on the built-in browser. After all, this TV has its own wi-fi. However, when I log into channel 4 and go to the programme I want to watch through the browser (there is no app for Channel 4) it ends up saying I need an updated version of Adobe Flash. I then proceed to the Flash web-site to get the updated version, and a message then appears on the TV saying the version is not compatible with the TV. I only bought the TV in December and have installed all firmware updates when requested by the menu on the TV. 

I think this may be a rights problem between Sony and Channel 4, but I don't know. I also have a Sony blu-ray player, bought just a month ago and I may try that but I expect that will produce the same result. My computer does not have HDMI out, so I can't watch 4OD on the TV it that way. Anyway, I would prefer not to. If I can even get flaming YouTube on my telly, why on earth sholdn't I be able to get Channel 4 on demand?

(Also, Tatcan, isn't there a danger of exceeding your data allowance by streaming hour long TV shows through your phone?). 

(BTW, having thisn "smart" telly confirms to me what genius is the BBC iPlayer. The picture quality is better than supposedly HD movies streamed from Amazon or Netflix and it loads much faster than any other web-based services.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately 4OD is not supported on your TV.  This is the same for Adobe Flash - hence the reason why you cannot play via the TVs web browser.

Tatcan was probably using his smart phone connected via WiFi to his home network to stream to the TV as a work-around.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
tatcan
Explorer

Hi

As Quinnicus said i'm using my wifi to get the data from the 4oD app and sending it to the TV. Not sure if it's to do with the limitation of the TV with no ITV or 4oD as they are both on PS3. 

I found the app are clunky on some device as my Freesat Humax box can not go back to the menu page on BBC iplayer after i've watch a show. And 5 app (ps3) shows looks like it was converted with an app made from the 90's.

TC

profile.country.GB.title
Xeno-man
Explorer

Thanks people. It is 4OD holding out on Sony and them not updating Flash for Linux which is the issue, apparently.Has to be the laptop then. thanks for your thoughts.

TONY-ROY
New

profile.country.GB.title
Tenerife5
New

I cannot watch 4od or itv on my Bravia television. Is this ever going to be rectivied

I want a refund. I bought a so-called “smart tv” from Sony but find that I cannot watch Channel 4 catch up tv on it. Why not? What a waste of time and money you Sony people are. Never again. Drag yourselves into the 21st century you timewasters.