Join now - be part of our community!

AR41S DVD

profile.country.en_GB.title
tobyst
Visitor

AR41S DVD

Hi,

I have a VGN AR41s, running Vista Home Premium.

Following an OS rebuild the DVD will not detect content on DVDs. Vista sees the DVD as blank and asks if it should be formatted.

I believe I've installed all of the original software. Is there a checklist anywhere to double check? Does this problem sound as if an obvious software component is missing?

I've checked the drivers and re-installed the DVD drive. I thought Windows Media Center would be all that's required to detect content, e.g. through explorer and I appreciate other software is required to play content. However, firstly, I'd like to get the Vaio to see the contents on the drive.

Many thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi tobyst,

welcome to Club VAIO Questions & Answers Forum..:smileyhappy:

Following an OS rebuild 

Did you you use the Vaio recovery utiltiy to rebuild your system.?

Did you DVD drive workcorrectly before the OS rebuild.?

Does your DVD drive show correctly in Device manager or does it have a yellow triangle on it .?

tobyst
Visitor

One additional question - do Sony sell original recovery CDs (since I lost my recovery partition) and if so, could I do a partial restore of certain programs and utilities? I really don't want to have to do another rebuild from scratch.

tobyst
Visitor

Hi thalamus,

Thanks for trying to help. Answers below:

Did you you use the Vaio recovery utiltiy to rebuild your system.? 

No, the rebuild was due to a HDD failure, which held the recovery utility. I did install all the original utilities from Sony support.

Did you DVD drive workcorrectly before the OS rebuild.? 

Yes.

Does your DVD drive show correctly in Device manager or does it have a yellow triangle on it .? 

Yes and all teh latest drivers and firmware are installed.

I think I may be missing WinDVD BD for VAIO (given the HDD failure) and I can't locate anywhere to download the original copy of the software? (However, if WinDVD BD is missing - why can I read teh contents of some DVDS and not others?)

Also, I've also lost my VAIO Update program and Sony don't make it easy to find how a replacement copy could be downloaded.

Thanks again.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I think I may be missing WinDVD BD for VAIO (given the HDD failure) and I can't locate anywhere to download the original copy of the software? (However, if WinDVD BD is missing - why can I read teh contents of some DVDS and not others?)

Unfortunately the full version of Win DVD is not available to download, only updates can be found on the Sony Vaio support site..

You'll need to purchase something like WinDVD 2010 Pro or PowerDVD 10 to be able to watch Blu Ray on your VAIO but it's your choice whether or not to purchase  and install..

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

One additional question - do Sony sell original recovery CDs (since I  lost my recovery partition) and if so, could I do a partial restore of  certain programs and utilities? I really don't want to have to do  another rebuild from scratch.

You can purchase a set of recovery disc's from Vaio support. However you'll have to do a full restore to be able to install all of the pre-installed applications..:smileysad:

To find contact details for Sony Vaio support..

Open Vaio support, either by clicking Support at the top of this page or use the following link:Vaio support

Under Log-in option 2: Select your VAIO model, next to Select Model Category - Select your model from the drop down list.

Then next to Select Model

Then click Log-In

Once logged select Get In Touch

tobyst
Visitor

Thanks thalamus. Since the laptop is out of warranty, I've contacted a Sony approved repair centre to see if they can provide the recovery CDs.

It's all a bit disappointin really. I don't understand wht Sony wouldn't make these things (esp. Vaio Update) available for download.

I may consider taking the Windows 7 route and will certainly be very careful about buying another $2.5k Vaio if this is the customer support on offer from Sony.

Thanks again