Join now - be part of our community!

Built-in webcam missing?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jsix22
Visitor

Built-in webcam missing?

Hi, I have a sony vaio W series, with XP. The webcam was working fine but I had a few issues with skype, so ended up uninstalling the arcsoft web companion software that came pre-installed. It must also have contained the drivers for the webcam - because the integrated webcam disappeared too.

It has literally gone. In device manager there is no option for imaging devices.

I reinstalled the camera driver from the sony website, I also reinstalled the arcsoft web companion but neither can detect a camera.

With device manager there are 2 unusual objects. The first is under non plug and play devices - just titled 'serial' with a yellow exclamation mark, and the details 'this device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)'.
The second is under USB Controllers and is titled 'Unknown' and states 'no drivers installed for this device' - under details it says 'USB\VID_000...' I can't update drivers with the camera driver.

I did a full system recovery to factory settings using the sony vaio recovery utility. I did it twice to be sure. The camera is still not detected, and the 2 unusual devices are still located within device manager.

Has anyone come across this before? It seems mad that uninstalling the arcsoft webcam companion can completely kill off the camera. It should come with a warning!

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jsix22
Visitor

Guess what? As if by some miracle the camera has returned.  I noticed yesterday 'scanners and cameras' had reappeared in 'my computer' so checked device manager and there it was  - a section for imaging devices with the sony webcam.  There must have been some work going on in the background to link up the unknown device and drivers .The only thing I can say is that I installed all the windows updates and the newest version of Java, and continually rebooted.

I have no idea but I'm not complaining  - thankfully I didn't opt to replace the motherboard, and as if by coincidence my new USB webcam arrived today but I am going to keep it just in case....

I would strongly advise not to uninstall the arcsoft software though, it causes a severe headache !

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jsix22,

Vaio W series is a wide description. Can you let us know the exact model number.

It seems strange that a recovery restore to factory settings has failed to resolve the problem, and as far as I am aware removing Arcsoft Web Companion should not have any bearing on the camera driver, but it may be that you need to update the driver for the unknown device with hardware ID ‘USB\VID_000...’ via Device Manage using the ‘Have Disk’ method – i.e. point the installer to the .inf file in the downloaded camera driver directory.

You could also try removing the device via Device Manager and reboot. This occasionally resolves the problem, but don’t hold your breath.

Also can you give us the full hardware ID starting ‘USB\VID_000...’?

Further advice is difficult without the exact model number.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jsix22
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.  Apologies, the model is VPCW11S1E.

I already tried to update the Unknown USB by directing it to the camera driver, but that hasn’t worked – the message reads ‘the wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you already have installed’.

I uninstalled the Unknown and rebooted, but it’s still here – the ‘device instance Id’ is USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&B544B15&0&2

I would have thought a factory re-set would have resolved it too, the only other thing I can think of is that I was installing windows updates about the same time as I removed the arcsoft software – maybe something updated that wasn’t compatible, but that’s probably a longshot.   Something has just screwed up somewhere, it’s as though the webcams identity has been wiped.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jsix22,

As you have recovered to factory defaults this should rule out any Windows update as the problem.

As there is no .inf file in the Camera Driver download for your model I assume that you have tried running the setup.exe file within the downloaded camera folder?

The Device ID looks a bit strange with all those zeros before and after the PID – perhaps someone with the same or similar model can post the hardware ID for a camera that is working.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jsix22
Visitor

Thanks Rich, yes I ran the setup.exe but it gets so far and then says camera device does not exist, please enable the device before installation – so I can’t even install the drivers.  Maybe it’s just a hardware failure I have to accept but it’s quite frustrating that all the logical things aren’t fixing it . Or i'm just rubbish with technology !

jsix22
Visitor

Just to update – I called Sony Support (the premium line as out of warranty).  They emailed me an updated camera driver but I couldn’t complete installation because a camera wasn’t detected.  A full system restore was suggested but as that had already been done they said the only solution was to send in for repair - I rang the service centre and they said failing a full system restore they would replace the motherboard, at a cost of £250.  Considering it’s just the webcam at fault I think buying a portable one might be more economical than replacing the motherboard !

I just can’t believe uninstalling the webcam companion software could create such a malfunction – Sony should really issue a warning for this because it’s so simple to do and seemingly impossible to rectify.

If anybody as any other suggestions, I’m happy to give them a go...   Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jsix22,

This is a bit of a long shot as a system recovery failed to make any difference, but you have nothing to lose in trying.

Open Device Manager and delete the unknown device with the hardware ID of USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&B544B15&0&2. Then expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers and locate a device with the same hardware ID (it will have additional characters at the end) – this will possibly be listed as a USB Composite Device. Delete this and shut down

Remove the AC adaptor and the battery and hold down the power switch for 30 seconds. Re-attach the power, re-fit the battery and reboot. The devices should be reinstalled. If by any chance the hardware ID is different then we may possibly be getting somewhere.

Otherwise I agree with you that £250 for to get the built in camera working is somewhat OTT and a USB independent camera would be the solution.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jsix22
Visitor

device manager.JPG

Thank you. I deleted the Unknown but couldn't find another USB with the same hardware id, so I tried the re-booting method you suggested but sadly no luck.  Thanks though it's worth a try !

This is the screen print of my device manager with the USB devices, if it makes any difference or I'm missing something.

Otherwise yes I'll give up and get a portable webcam.  Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jsix22,

Doesn’t look good, but what is the hardware ID of the unknown device listed under USB Controllers? Do you know whether this was listed prior to the last procedure?

Whatever it is I suggest that you try following the above course of action and delete the unknown device listed in USB Controllers.

I am grasping at straws here so apologies if this is a waste of your time.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jsix22
Visitor

No, thank you I appreciate you taking the time to try and help me.  The unknown USB is the same one we have been referring to previously with the hardware id USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&B544B15&0&2.  I uninstall it and reboot and it just keeps coming back, and then windows tells me when I log on that there is a new USB hardware devicebut that it's not recognised and has malfunctioned.