Join now - be part of our community!

Can't find CD Driver icon on my VAIO VGN-CR11S - can anyone please help?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
alburge35
Visitor

Can't find CD Driver icon on my VAIO VGN-CR11S - can anyone please help?

I recently realised that I can't find my CD Drive icon on my Windows Desktop.  When a CD / DVD is inserted, the light on the driver flickers, as if it is being read, but there is no product on the desktop, nor any autorun feature.  Is there any way that I can recover it?  Or will I need to install some other software?  Can anyone give me any help?

Cheers,

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Alex,

This little Registry edit should fix your DVD drive: -

The following involves changes to the registry and I recommend that you set a System Restore Point.

Then:

1.Press the ‘Windows’ key and press R.  In the Run box type: REGEDIT  and hit enter. For Vista/Win7, type REGEDIT into the search box and open it).

2. Navigate to –

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

click on this and locate UpperFilters in the right-hand window, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

3. Under the same Registry Key locate LowerFilters, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

4. Quit Registry Editor and re-boot the computer, new registry values will be created that will hopefully cure the problem.

After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, you may possibly need to re-install your burning software if it doesn't work – but not usually.

:wink:

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Alex,

Please go to Device Manager and check if there is a yellow error icon against your CD/DVD-ROM drive.

If there is a yellow error, double-click on the drive and come back here with the Error Code.

alburge35
Visitor

Hi Mate,

It has an error - software may be corrupted or missing (Error Code 39).

What can I do now?

Alex

alburge35
Visitor

If it's any help, it's a MASHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA Device...

gugabackhand
Visitor

I think the driver must be reinstalled here. What's the model number on this? If this drive is preloaded, it should be available for download at the support site. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Alex,

This little Registry edit should fix your DVD drive: -

The following involves changes to the registry and I recommend that you set a System Restore Point.

Then:

1.Press the ‘Windows’ key and press R.  In the Run box type: REGEDIT  and hit enter. For Vista/Win7, type REGEDIT into the search box and open it).

2. Navigate to –

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

click on this and locate UpperFilters in the right-hand window, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

3. Under the same Registry Key locate LowerFilters, (if it exists) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

4. Quit Registry Editor and re-boot the computer, new registry values will be created that will hopefully cure the problem.

After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, you may possibly need to re-install your burning software if it doesn't work – but not usually.

:wink:

alburge35
Visitor

Thanks Mate,

I found this same Registry Edit on the site below and it has worked perfectly:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/242550-14-matshita-850s-device-problems

Thanks for your help in this,

Alex

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

gugabackhand wrote:

I think the driver must be reinstalled here. What's the model number on this? If this drive is preloaded, it should be available for download at the support site. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

Gugabackhand - I am getting very tired of the drivel you are posting on these forums.

If you don't know what you are talking about, please do not post.  You obviously do not have a Vaio and don't know the answer.

However, on the few questions where you are able to help, please continue to do so.

:angry:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I think we are all tired of the drivel and one line answers that Gugabackhand is posting without any explanation of how to achieve a fix. Please go away and plague another forum with your inane posts. Even better would be to get a life.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat