Join now - be part of our community!

CD/DVD Drive Problems (DW-D56A)

andrewdann
Visitor

CD/DVD Drive Problems (DW-D56A)

Hi,

I have a Sony VAIO with a DW-D56A which has recently stopped working.

I can see the drive in explorer, but when a disc is inserted it doesn't "spin up" and I can't read ANY discs.

If I look at the properties for the drive, it shows disc not inserted.
Everything else shows that the CD drive is functioning correctly and there are no error codes.

I have tried to re-flash the firmware (PFS3) with no luck - However at the end of the flash process it does a disc "Inquiry" and then I can read the disc that I left in the drive. If I eject the disc and re-insert or restart the PC I'm back to square one!

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Seems strange that I can read it just after the firmware flash process????

Thanks Andy

81 REPLIES 81
aas
Visitor

Hi all ,

Well , I have my Vaio fixed. !!!

To make a long story short.
Mine was the 2nd time that this problematic drive broke.
The first time it was changed by Sony as it was in guarantee.
The second time (The guarantee was expired by a month) they asked 340 Euro plus the currier charges just to put the same drive.
I bought a Nec Drive (7550 Much better specs on this drive) and had it replaced in a computer shop.
Now is working perfect with a total cost of 130 Euros.

matt80
Visitor

do you know which vaios the nec will be compatible with?

i have an A417M.

any help you can give would be great, i think we are all getting alittle desperate.........

aas
Visitor

I think you can put any make on any laptop.
Its plug & play anyway.
No drivers neaded.

MXMotion
Visitor

Hi all - I just started a new thread but looks like you guys have got this well covered - is it too late to join the club?? has the boat left?? Im thinking about fitting a non Sony drive unit and getting a 3rd party to fit into my laptop.... my drive seems to have failed 3 months out of warrenty, seems to be a trend here. MAC's are looking more and more like the way to go as my mind is wandering again for a new laptop, if this is the poor poor way the once mighty Sony are treating their customers. PS there is a screw underneath the keyboard im led to believe hope this helps

MXMotion
Visitor

Hi,

Your not going to beleive this........... I have tamed the beast... I have stuffed "the pig", to cut along story short I have managed to get my drive back in operational condition. i found a site that had all three firmware updates for the drive. I replaced with the first and it failed, then I put PFS 2 in and hey presto it works a treat!!!! I have also BLOCKED Sony update and Sony entertainment from entering my laptop to see if that keeps my drivers in there now OPERATIONAL condition. I knew this farce was software... it had to be!!!! too many folks drives failing at the same time for my taste

anyways bud keep it real downtown

Motion

MXMotion
Visitor

Hi all, here is the link for the DW-56A firmwares

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html

you will need to look down the page in order to find the link to download

or use :

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw_slimtype/stock/Sony.D56A.PFS1-PFS2-PFS3.stock.rar

Im just sooooooooo happy that I have fixed my DVD RW as 3rd party was wanting to charge me £120 notes just for labour.... and its not even needed

Peace out soilders

Motion

GE90
Visitor

Hi,

Your not going to beleive this........... I have tamed the beast... I have stuffed "the pig", to cut along story short I have managed to get my drive back in operational condition. i found a site that had all three firmware updates for the drive. I replaced with the first and it failed, then I put PFS 2 in and hey presto it works a treat!!!! I have also BLOCKED Sony update and Sony entertainment from entering my laptop to see if that keeps my drivers in there now OPERATIONAL condition. I knew this farce was software... it had to be!!!! too many folks drives failing at the same time for my taste

anyways bud keep it real downtown

Tell us more.....

Could you supply the links for the updates?
How do we install?

Cheers!

Motion

GE90
Visitor

Beat me to it!

Cheers!

MXMotion
Visitor

Hi GE90

with pleasure..... and make sure you follow the correct install procedures..

for example shutting down the anti-V, the screen saver, the hibernate and all other running programs just as you would if you were following the VAIO Update instructions.

Another thing I did was to download a RPC2 removal program LtnRPC which is available for download at most locations, now tread carefully as I would never suggest you loose your warrenty as that is what you will do if you use 3rd party software to mess with your exsisting drive firmware. I have used this completely as a work around in order to get MY laptop working as it should.... and then i re enabled the region settings again shortly afterwards

If you proceed you must do so at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible if it fry's your drive

viva Motion

rob.j
Visitor

Hi GE90

with pleasure..... and make sure you follow the correct install procedures..

for example shutting down the anti-V, the screen saver, the hibernate and all other running programs just as you would if you were following the VAIO Update instructions.

Another thing I did was to download a RPC2 removal program LtnRPC which is available for download at most locations, now tread carefully as I would never suggest you loose your warrenty as that is what you will do if you use 3rd party software to mess with your exsisting drive firmware. I have used this completely as a work around in order to get MY laptop working as it should.... and then i re enabled the region settings again shortly afterwards

If you proceed you must do so at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible if it fry's your drive

viva Motion

Hi there,

Seems i have the exact same problem.

Basically DVD / CD drive worked for a good yr or so and last week just stopped working for no reason....can hear open and shut the drive and instert disc which it seems to be trying to read then...nada 😞

Could you do me a GREAT favour and please walk me through the procdure of carrying out the fix you have mentioned step by step as i'm not bad with computers but not great.... :slight_smile:

cheers

rob