Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

Now just like a lot of Vaio FE11S users I had the clicking sound where my hardisk is. People who suggest it is the hardisk working, please save me the trouble of telling 100 times it is not the harddisk working sound. I had enough laptops to know the difference.

DOWNLOAD CLICKING SOUND

Now what I would like to know is if there has been anyone who send his/her laptop to Sony back to let them check it out. If yes, I ofcourse would really like to know what sony told you or what you did eventually. It seems to me nobody knows the solution. I did call sony and told them everything about the problem. They said it was something wich is new to them. I gave them the club-vaio link where people posted about the same problem. This coming week I am going to send my laptop to sony, this clicking sound disturbs me a lot.

I know that there are previous threads about this Old thread about clicking sound link , but I wanted to post a sequal where people could post their experience and opinion. Please don't suggest me to open up my harddisk or laptop, and once again it is NOT the harddisk working sound.

What happens: "The hard disk makes irregularly a clicking sound which is pretty loud two. Most certainly is not a working sound. It sounds like something is hitting the plastic of the laptop or something else. When I shut down my laptop and restart the sound is gone for a while." I personally think it has something to do with the reading arm. The clicking sound appears always when the laptop is not working. It's like when the harddisk is not working it cant get into the resting position, and keep on trying. I hope sony is going to spend serious time on this problem, especially it seems to be a common problem.

Important suggestions and remarks of others:

hard drive is made by fujitsu & they have a diagnostic software tool on the fujitsu web site & when i ran it, the program said no hard drive found on laptop, i spoke to fujitsu & they said i should wait for later version of software to come out, which i will do! anyone who goes to fujitsu web site, the version i tryed is 6.40

This is the response I have received from Fujitsu regarding the issue: We connected this drive MHV2160BT to our analyser and installed Windows XP Pro, we did not hear any obvious clicking noise unless you place your ear next to the drive so it is very quiet even though this does go into sleep mode at around every 4-10 seconds (idle). I would investigate if you can further into the specifications and configurations fitting of your Sony Laptop.

448 REPLIES 448
Carelino
Visitor

I recorded the clicking sound. If you want to hear the sound just download it by clicking on this link. Today it is 15 april I don't know how long this link will work. Sorry people the bandwidh was limited if you really want to get the clicking sound. Give me you e-mail adress.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Carelino
Visitor

Thank you for suggestion now people can download the clicking sound again. Sorry you have to wait 45 seconds before you can download it. Dont forget to close the banner in front of the button where you can pres the download button/

DOWNLOAD CLICKING SOUND

Would be nice if anyone would reply about this clicking sound

Carelino
Visitor

Nobody any experiance anymore.....?

kee-lo_

That's abnormal, specially as it's nearly every 5 seconds

Carelino
Visitor

It sure is abnormal. And the fact that I am not the only one, I think Fuijitsu should worry about it. Now I recorded the sound they can't talk their way out of it. This clitch or whatever it might be HAS to be fixed or I want my money back. I have this laptop since february and in the first week this clicking sound started. I hoped it had something to do with software. So I reinstalled everything, but that didn't help either.

Hope sony will do something about it.....see if garuentee is worth something.

kee-lo_

Yeah definately bring it up with them, it's not right

Carelino
Visitor

Seems like nobody is interested or suddenly does not have the problem. Or only want to know the aswer...and not part of the solution.

mark.magill
Visitor

Carelino I have emailed your sound clip to my contact in fujitsu who previsouly set up the test bed system.

I will let you know his response!

Mark